• Welcome to Star Control Discussion Board.

What are they made of?

Started by jaychant, February 22, 2008, 02:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukipela

[spoiler]

It has come to our attention that you have female Shofixti creatures on board your ship.
We have the means to fertilize these creatures artificially
allowing us to produce a hybrid beast to attend our furnaces.
We must have those females, Captain!
We are prepared to offer you fully six of our devastating Mauler starships in exchange.
[/spoiler]
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Valaggar Redux

Yikes, I had totally forgotten that! Now, I don't see why we'd have to make a special effort to fit that in... that the furnace burns souls rather than normal matter doesn't have anything to do with the Shofixti nubiles. They probably want Shofixti hybrids because Shofixti reproduce very quickly (which is to say, they produce a lot of new souls for the furnace very quickly), not because they'd be more flammable.

Still, I wonder why they want to hybridize the rat-maidens rather than just utilize normal Shofixti... maybe they want to make them reproduce even faster, or maybe they want to make them more docile? I guess it's the latter. Shofixti aren't the types that'd let themselves be used by a race of lowly, honourless slave traders as cannon-fodder.

jaychant

Whenever I get the Shofixti maidens, I go straight to Tanaka. So I never heard of this thing until now. I myself would never do that; I mean, only 6 maulers? The Maidens are worth at LEAST a hundred.

Eth

Pagh!  Six maulers is plenty to kill Tanaka...  and his brother!

jaychant

Yeah, but if you use them to bring the Shofixti back you get a reduced crew cost. :P

jaychant

Quote from: Valaggar Redux on February 23, 2008, 09:22:53 AM
The DOGIs are probably the Chenjesu equivalent of space dogs.
Problem with this: DOGIs are manufactured on Broodhome vessels.

Eth

Quote from: jaychant on February 25, 2008, 11:47:09 AM
Yeah, but if you use them to bring the Shofixti back you get a reduced crew cost. :P

Bah!  You can sell some maulers to get more RUs!

jaychant

Lukipela

Quote from: Valaggar Redux on February 24, 2008, 06:45:46 PM
Yikes, I had totally forgotten that! Now, I don't see why we'd have to make a special effort to fit that in... that the furnace burns souls rather than normal matter doesn't have anything to do with the Shofixti nubiles. They probably want Shofixti hybrids because Shofixti reproduce very quickly (which is to say, they produce a lot of new souls for the furnace very quickly), not because they'd be more flammable.

Still, I wonder why they want to hybridize the rat-maidens rather than just utilize normal Shofixti... maybe they want to make them reproduce even faster, or maybe they want to make them more docile? I guess it's the latter. Shofixti aren't the types that'd let themselves be used by a race of lowly, honourless slave traders as cannon-fodder.

Maybe a hybrid race has "new souls" that contain more energy?

Quote from: jaychant on February 26, 2008, 11:23:09 AM
But only 1700! :P
I can't tell if you are being serious or meta.

jaychant

Seriously, it is useless to sell the Shofixti Maids to the Druuge just for 6 Maulers.

In any event, let's get back to topic.

Lukipela

Quote from: jaychant on February 26, 2008, 08:17:16 PM
Seriously, it is useless to sell the Shofixti Maids to the Druuge just for 6 Maulers.

In any event, let's get back to topic.

You know, I'm going to just pretend that you knew Eth was making a joke all along and that you have been playing us all since then, since the alternative would make me sad.

What are Supox ships made of? Are there any quotes anywhere, or should we assume some weird foliage?

Valaggar Redux

Quote from: Lukipela on February 28, 2008, 06:15:51 PM
What are Supox ships made of? Are there any quotes anywhere, or should we assume some weird foliage?

Answer: The set containing all quotes that describe what Blades are made of is equal to the empty set.
Corollary: The 3DO video equals show Blade as solid plus coloured in green.
Corollary to Corollary: Canonical status of 3DO videos equals unknown.
Directive: System unit is directed to analyze data at hand.
Process: Computing...
Conclusion: Supox Blade equals green metallic ship.
Corollary: Cause of green colour equals chlorophyll. Purpose of chlorophyll equals photosynthesis. Purpose of photosynthesis equals energy generation for Supox plants. Purpose of energy generation equals happiness. Purpose of happiness equals happiness.
Query: Minimally sentient organism identified as Lukipela from Finland is directed to post appreciation plus praise of current message.

Lukipela

I'll post acknowledgement of you doing your job, servant of Zelda.

Still, it could be organic (although probably not).

Dabir

Here's my theory with the Mauler:
The huge size of the energy bar is in fact artificial, and is so huge so that such slow rates of normal regeneration can be used without it taking half an hour to recover one bar. The whole furnace/crew thing is a product of a Druuge mindset to do with expected efficiency. In most science fiction, starships, even big things like an Imperial Star Destroyer, have a "sweet spot" which hitting accurately will drastically damage (this has happened in at least one of the Star Wars novels). This is also true in Star Control, however, because of the way the ships fight, and the size of the battle system itself, these spots are impossible to hit, so damage is always done equally across the entire ship (Spathi "decoy" projections, anyone?). The Druuge still believe in high efficiency, even against stuff they CAN'T take down in one energy bar: If the crew were working as they should do, they shouldn't run out of energy in the first place! In order to inspire and motivate the crew, inefficiency is punished by being tossed into the fires, the high energy recovery being caused by the massive energy bar inflation.

Rider

Interesting theory, I could actually see that happening!

Welcome to the boards btw :)
You wish you had a signature like mine