Author Topic: Webcomics: 2007  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
Webcomics: 2007
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:03:48 pm »
All right.  It's time.  Time for the best of '07!  Post links to the webcomics that you read regularly.  If you don't read webcomics at all, post a link to your favorite search engine!  For some reason!

The Cream of the Crop, the ones I keep coming back to:

Girl Genius: The latest thing by one of my favorite cartoonists, Phil Foglio (and his talented wife, Kaja).  They describe the genre as "gaslamp romance," but it would probably be more recognizably described as "steampunk."  Great art and color.  Agatha Heterodyne is heir to a powerful legacy, and is possessed of uncontrollable genius.  Adventure, romance, mad science!

Buck Godot, Zap Gun for Hire: by the same creative team.  Buck is some sort of overweight interstellar mercenary or something.  Not as well-rendered as Girl Genius, but sillier. 

Planet Zebeth:  I'm pretty sure someone on this board turned me on to Zebeth.  Sprite comic based mostly on the classic NES game Metroid.  Samus hates Kraid.  Kraid loves Samus.  Ridley keeps feeding them alcohol, which doesn't help the situation.  Add to this mix the fact that Samus is an amoral psychopath, Kraid is a depraved pervert, and Ridley is perfectly willing to betray anyone for a buck.  Oh, and the fourth wall has been broken so many times, it simply isn't there any more. 

Doonesbury:  Gary Trudeau's strip, which he has been drawing (with a few breaks here and there) since 1970, has always teetered on the brink of being an editorial cartoon.  Doonesbury is at its best during wartime, and Trudeau has become increasingly adept at showing us an unflinching look at a soldier's daily life.  Add to that a large cast of interesting characters who develop over time, a fearless willingness to skewer the powers that be, and an ability to tell good jokes year in and year out, and you have a bona-fide classic on your hands.

Bob the Angry Flower: This strip teeters a different line: the line between alternative comics and mainstream comics.  Too edgy for the Sunday newspaper, too mainstream for the weirdos out there.  Bob is a walking, talking, flower.  He's also an evil genius with a mean streak a mile wide.  His roommates are an anthropomorphic tree stump and some kind of fetus.  Sometimes extremely funny, usually composed of obscure pop culture references which go over my head, Bob has the unique distinction (in this list) of occasionally doing Star Control based strips. 

Order of the Stick:  This is a very good D&D parody comic.  It skewers the rules quirks and bizarre conventions of D&D, but maintains enough other humor, interesting plot, and characters to keep a non-gamer nerd amused.  The art's a bit minimalist for my taste. 

Turn Signals on a Land Raider:  This 40K humor strip is actually pretty bad in almost every meaningful way, but I can't seem to stop reading it.  Sometimes is really funny, but usually it's just kind of...  zany.  Kren and Frep are the crew of a tank named Super-Jackhammer Carrier Tank ("Jack") who can never seem to win a battle (except occasionally, by accident).  They are the members of a Space Marine Chapter called the "Emperor's Pointy Sticks," apparantly created by the Emperor during some sort of epic-level interstellar pub crawl.  Final verdict: not as stupid as 8-bit Theater. 

The Rest, the one's I'm trying out these days:

Chainmail Bikini:  Another D&D parody comic, by Shamus Young, the author of DM of the Rings.  It's made me laugh a few times, and already stirred up some controversy.  Pretty nice art.  Has potential. 

Darths & Droids:  Star Wars / RPG parody.  This comic is very much in the style of DM of the Rings (and the old "Fotobooks"), using screen caps from the movies as art to put in the panels.  Not really as funny as DM of the Rings, I'm afraid, but I'll give it a little more time to hit its stride. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:08:22 pm by Eth »

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
Re: Webcomics: 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:29 am »
I suppose I'll share my collection also...

Ctrl Alt Del: Comic featuring 2 guys, a girl, a sentient robot built out of an xbox and tons of gaming references. It's mostly about Ethan who's a genuine game addict and Lucas, his sarcastic more down-to-earth roommate. This comic is where winter-een-mass springs from (the gaming holiday... y'know...) and if you're any kind of gamer, it's one to read. Oh, and it's funny too :)

Questionable Content: This comic can be summarized as sarcastic. Most of the main characters have this trait, and it's abundant in nigh every panel. Initially it followed the life of the main protagonist, Marten. But has grown to encompass all of the main characters. Where Marten is your typical insecure slightly-alternative youngster, he's probably the most normal character around. There's Pintsize, his walking talking AnthroPC who has the habit of setting things on fire, eating food and other unhealthy things. Hannelore an Obsessive Compulsive personality, who counts stuff for a living. And Faye, who just has issues. LOTS of issues... The story progresses noticeably, as well as the characters do, and for the sake of getting the story, it's actually one worth reading through the archive of.

The Dreamland Chronicles: What if, when you dreamed, you where actually in another world? You actually went somewhere? That's the premise of this, fully modeled, webcomic. He pulls of the story and the characters quite well. While this comic is actually my least favorite of these, it's still worth checking out. It has something... magical... I suppose :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:14:40 am by Rider »
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline FreakyM

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • GENOCIDE CUTTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:36:57 am »
I have been reading "Zebeth" from the very beginning. As in, saw #1 come up.
Might very well have been me who "brought" it here.

Also, I personally read a "holy trinity" of webcomics  myself:
Zebeth, 8-bit Theatre and Order of the Stick.

Not surprisingly, all of them have something to do with the various subcultures I am involved in..
The Controversial Subject lives on.

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:23:46 am »
I generally try to avoid webcomics.  That said, I do like OOTS and The Perry Bible Fellowship.  Haven't really followed Get Your War On for a few years, and I don't really know if it's still up and running, but I'd certainly suggest it to anyone.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:36:15 am »
  Perry Bible Fellowship runs weekly in one of the crappy alternative rags here in Portland.  I never paid much attention to it.  But then I found a book of it and read a bunch at once.  That enabled me to "dial into" PBF's humor style, and I love it now.  The artist is quite versatile, too. 

I read Get Your War On every time there's a new book, but I don't read it online.  It's savage, inspired madness. 

I read CtrlAltDel during the "40K story-arc."  Good stuff. 

8-bit.  Well, at some point I read through every strip.  I think it lowered my IQ by 30 points.  And, as Sedodes pointed out at the time, I don't have much to spare.  Never again. 

Rider, Dreamland Chronicles looked kind of interesting.  I've never seen a 3D rendered webcomic with such a long run.  Then I clicked to the beginning and it was elves and fairies and Paddington Rumblebottom III.  Yuck!

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:01:57 pm »
phd comics

It certainly helps to be a phd student - it's a whole way of life we share! That said, I hope outsiders can understand a little . . .

``Quantum Gradnamics"

okay so it also helps to know a bit about quantum mechanics too
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:50:40 pm »
  A random sampling didn't amuse me much, but the Quantum Gradnamics ones were pretty funny. 

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 04:21:18 am »
The order of the stick has gone a bit downhill since it started. I'm not sure I like all this "plot" and "characterization" and whatnot, I preferred the random D&D gags.

DM of the rings has a great concept but is getting pretty tired now...

Cyanide and Happiness is awesome.

Ph.D. is sometimes too painfully accurate to be funny.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:05 am »
Oh my, I almost forgot...

Dr. McNinja: He's a doctor, who's also a Ninja! Brilliant premise, equally brilliantly executed.
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:13:22 am »
Huh.  Cyanide and Happiness is awesome!

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 03:17:02 am »
A random sampling didn't amuse me much, but the Quantum Gradnamics ones were pretty funny. 
Yeah, I think the reality of it is what I like ??? I can only add that you'd probably also laugh at anything above this on the top 200 list.

So, Val and Luki: your favourite search engines?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:20:04 am by Zeracles »
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Valaggar Redux

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:05:23 am »
Well, I use Google all the time, but it's not really an earth-shatteringly-ecstasy-inducing type of engine.

So the honour of the Best Search Engine goes to...
THE SCDB'S SEARCH FEATURE!

:D <-- Utwig smile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:07:17 am by Valaggar Redux »

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 04:16:30 pm »
Normally I'd just lurk (or ignore the board for several months at a time) but this oversight MUST be corrected.

Schlock Mercenary

This one's on par with Girl Genius and Order of the Stick. It's updated daily, without fail, for seven and a half years now.

And one that's not quite so crucial to your webcomic repetoire:

Freefall

Not quite sure how to describe this. But it's got physics!
Brick Flail!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:17:13 pm »
Yeah, I think the reality of it is what I like ??? I can only add that you'd probably also laugh at anything above this on the top 200 list.

So, Val and Luki: your favourite search engines?

Er, what?

I foolow quite a few comics, some out of habit and others because I enjoy them. if you want to read something semi-interesting and fairly short, check out Gone with the Blastwave, which almost never updates but is quite nice. Most of my others have already been mentioned, but LICD usually makes me smile, as does it's slightly repetitive spin off LFG. i used to really enjoy Sluggy Freelance, but i think it's gone on for a bit too long.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows