Author Topic: What now? "The Dig"  (Read 11224 times)

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
What now? "The Dig"
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:20:55 pm »
alright, so I troubleshot SC3 a while ago, played it and had fun. Recently I downloaded The Dig (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139156/) off of eMule, and had somewhat similar problems, though The Dig was made in 1995 and SC3 was made in 1996. Alright, so I got my autoex files, so that problem's out, and my OS is Windows XP professional, version 2002, service pack 2. This doesn't seem to have an index file like SC3 had which needs to specify which drives files come from. First, I made a CD copy, and a computer copy. Second, when I just click on the dig.exe file, a window pops up then closes without a trace in the blink of an eye. I screenshot the window, and it says as follows:

I don't have any working disks, but I'll get some as soon as possible. Actually, I had one disk, but I think I tried to make it a boot disk for Solar Winds, and now the computer won't read it, and just says "please insert disk" after I put it in drive A and click on it. Anyway, If I load it using Dosbox, I get the title screen "Play The Dig", "Configure Sound Card", "View Latest Updates" (It's version 1.00), "Troubleshooting Guide", "Make Boot Disk", and "Exit". If I try the sound test with the CD game, it fails, but if I let it detect sound on the hard drive version, it detects "Gravis Ultrasound", and clearly plays a sound clip. However, sound detected or not, when I click on Play The Dig, I go back to the dos prompt it says "unable to load 'muscript.scr'".
The Daktaklakpak Vivisector self-destructs in an orgy of metalic rapture.

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
Re: What now? "The Dig"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:54:11 am »
Is this TDDB now?

No, I didn't think so.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:47:34 am »
Neither is it the WDB..

Anyways, search for said .scr file on your HD and on your CD. Also, don't forget to mount the CD in Dosbox...

Also, I guess there's some more errorstuff in the Dos window you've got over there.. Try this
start -> run -> "cmd.exe"
then navigate to c:\DIG, and run DIG.exe
It won't work, but at least the Dos window will stay there Scroll up and look for any errors. Probably a memory one, if you ask me..

If it's memory errors, go for a Bootdisk. Myself, I recommend a DOS 3.* bootdisk (small), or a Dos 5.* bootdisk (larger, but less bugs. Also, better Expanded Memory features). http://www.bootdisk.com. You'll probably need one with a Universal CD-rom driver, though.. Some of them come with one already, which is neat.. Also, make sure you ain't got NTFS partitions, as DOS + NTFS = a no-go..

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:02:32 am »
lol, good point, Megagun.  Though dicussing pirated software is against board policy, hence the discouraging sarcasm.  But since you started the helpful train rolling...

You don't need the actual CDs or disks, but you doo need the files on them and you will need to mount them parallel to your working directory.  When you mount your disk or CD in DOSbox be sure to mount it as the drive that the game will be looking for -- I.E., don't mount it as drive V or something crazy.

Unlike Megagun, I don't think there's a memory conflict.  Expanded memory was generally phased out of games by 1995, and I remember owning "The Dig" when it came out and running it without incident on a Windows '95 machine.  No boot disk or memory management was required, however, I did have to reboot into DOS.

If it _IS_ a memory problem, I wouldn't suggest a boot disk before messing with the DOSbox settings.  I have yet to come across a game which required more actual EMS or EXS than DOSbox could "simulate."

Also, for future reference, asking for help on the DOSbox forums, a forum dedicated to the game you're asking about, or a Pirated Software forum may be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:08:34 am by Sedodes »
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:39:17 pm »
Your help, Sedodes, comes at too high a price. Personally, I'd rather figurative tumbleweeds rolled across this topic and I never discovered how to get "The Dig" to work than to listen to your quips.
From what I've looked up, TDDB means nothing. If I had to guess where you got that from, I'd guess you just made that up on the spot. And I'm well aware that this is in regard to a pirated game, but you know well my personal policy in regards to games 10 years old, and legal or economic for the company that made it or not, I still both don't have the access to old game, nor do I have the will to buy them. Your advice on the game may prove useful, but it came at too high of a price. Chad can delete the topic if he wants, but I'd rather you just didn't say anything, because often it's just not worth it.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 11:35:47 pm »
Just to quench the flames before they erupt here, a little input.

TDDB means The Dig Discussion Board. Which this isn't. WBD (probably) means something along the lines of Wanker Discussion Board, which we try not to be. While sarcasm may be a tad unnecessary against people who have repeatedly stated that they do not get it, nor care for it, discussing pirated games is equally unnecessary. It doesn't really matter what your personal point of view is kvn, as long as it's illegal. Chad cannot delete any topics, as he is gone, but even so it would be nice if we avoided actual illegalalities on the board. In elder times, Chad actually showed us several times, that any pirating discussions were unacceptable.

Mega, I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful here, but this is a matter where help would perhaps be better in the form of a PM, rather than out on the board for the whole world to see.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 01:53:28 am »
Actually, WDB stood for "Windows Discussion Board", and was directed towards http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~starcontrol/forum/index.php?topic=1008.0

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 07:25:39 am »
In that case, I'll just say that the CD I have is the The Dig CD, and I got it ligitimately. The fact that it was acquired via a file sharing program and not in a pawn shop of some sort seems rather moot at this time, despite the fact the maker of the game might have gotten some money if I had acquired it from a pawn shop. The number one rule in laws is that it isn't a law unless it's enforced. File sharing is sporatically enforced, with one person being charged thousands of dollers in pirating once in a blue moon, making it seem the chance of getting caught file sharing is akin to the chance of getting hit by lightning. Sure, it may be illegal, but I just had a haircut this morning and jaywalked across the street, first looking both ways and waiting for a gap in traffic, and I wasn't arrested. Though, if this is an issue about the BOARD being blamed, then I'm sorry, and will keep discussion of illigitamately acquired games to a minumum, and in the future try to find a forum particularly for the purpose.

Wow. I just realized. I havn't actually TRIED the things that were suggested, being so caught up in the red tape of the subject. I'll work on some of those suggestions, and get back to that.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 11:20:24 am »
In that case, I'll just say that the CD I have is the The Dig CD, and I got it ligitimately.

But you've already stated otherwise, making the point moot.

The number one rule in laws is that it isn't a law unless it's enforced.

By that logic, any murder where you aren't caught would be legal. It's just a question of scale. Just beacuse something isn't o100% enforced doesn't make it any less illegal. I persoanlly don't care one bit wether you are pirating software or not. But the least you could do is be honest about it. You're pirating, ergo you are committing a crime. Just because you probably won't get caught doesn't make it any less of a crime. Jaywalking is an offence as well, even though it isn't serious. Not getting caught jaywalking, or not getting caught as a minor in a bar doesn't mean that it's perfectly alright to do so.

Though, if this is an issue about the BOARD being blamed, then I'm sorry, and will keep discussion of illigitamately acquired games to a minumum, and in the future try to find a forum particularly for the purpose.

Indeed it is. If you look back through older threads, you'l find that at löast once Chad was actually contacted by the owner of a game that was being discussed here. After that he updated the rules of the forum, to make sure people got the idea. It'd be a sad thing for the forum to be closed down just because someone is using it for faulty purpsoes during Chads absence.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 12:43:05 pm »
ok, I mounted c as D:\dig and d as D:\, and for some reason the HD file still wouldn't load (same muscript.scr error), but when I pressed play on the CD's The Dig, the intro cutscene started playing. I fiddled around with it, and now it's working like a charm.

And Lukipedia, that's not what I meant by "The number one rule in laws is that it isn't a law unless it's enforced." It means that even if a law is on the books, if a police officer won't accuse you of doing it if "caught", then it's a law only in the technical sense.

löast?

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 01:22:30 pm »
Nevermind, there is one problem. My Norton Subscription expired a few months ago, and though I keep telling him, my Dad won't renew it. So, I was just there, minding my own business playing The Dig, and suddenly this notification poped up. Now, if anyone has Dosbox, they know that that program will close at the drop of a hat, whenever it has to be minimized to go to windows or something. So, it poped up, and closed my game. Now, this isn't one of those games that autosaves every so often, or has a Quicksave feature like 007 Nightfire. I lost at least an hour of gameplay! NNNNNGH!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

So, useful as dosbox is, it's still a piece of crap, and though it emulates dos, it's so unrefined and untested that it's full of problems! Furthermore, I tried the start -> run -> "cmd.exe" thing, but couldn't figure out how to get out of my documents and setting folder! Piece of $#!^!

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 02:40:17 pm »
try "cd .." a few times.. Eventually, you'll end up at C: (or D: or whatever:)

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 05:36:50 pm »
I tried all combinations of uppercase and lowercase c and/or d with : and \, with no effect. I can't figure out how to change directories in cmd.exe

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 03:41:15 am »
D: warps you to d:\
cd .. goes down a directory
cd moose goes to the directory moose (above the current directory)

say, you're in c:\documents and settings\administrator and you want to go to d:\blaat
you'd type:
d:
cd blaat

Offline kvn8907

• Talking Pet
  • Fire the satellasers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 08:59:59 am »
all I learned from that was how to change drives. "e:" goes to drive E: and "c:" goes to C:Documents and Settings. I still havn't figured out how to change the directory, and the cd command doesn't seem to work. Nonetheless, I tried running The Dig using cmd.exe, and had the exact same problem as if I just double clicked on it :-/.