Gathering players for the second Mafia game

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Gathering players for the second Mafia game

Post by Shiver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:37 am

Lemme in on this. I've never played Mafia before.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:34 am

Gekko wrote:I've been playing some Mafia on IRC & elsewhere, and for every game I have disliked the actual game mechanics. Ultimately, the game is nothing else than a game of luck as there is no way to get ANY absolute facts if you aren't a special character.
Here, every character will have some special ability, of some scope, often limited. This will sometimes be informational in nature, but it will generally be less powerful than a full seer. Like, last time, the Mrnmrhrm could scout out any ship, but they'd lose this scouting ability once they found a hierarchy vessel.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:41 am

So 7-8 players already. I've posted on frungylovers as well, lets hope they and UQMF pull in a few more :) :)

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm in, last time was pretty cool.

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Gekko wrote:I've been playing some Mafia on IRC & elsewhere, and for every game I have disliked the actual game mechanics. Ultimately, the game is nothing else than a game of luck as there is no way to get ANY absolute facts if you aren't a special character. This means that you can as well assume that everything everyone says is a lie, and no-one is ever telling the truth. To really have some chances of playing "correctly" one would have to play with the same people for multiple games and understand how the other players behave.
Mafia isn't really that much about luck or metagaming. It's about throwing false accusations around, dropping a few hints here and there, and paying attention to others. If your games have been about luck, then the players probably weren't playing all that well and were too cautious. Nice games have people dropping small bits of information regarding wether they're Seer, and even better games have Scum that can't directly communicate and have to communicate with each other in public. I've played one game where the Scum weren't allowed to communicate with each other, yet were given the identity of all other scum so that they could be creative with their public secret communication. It was quite fun, but hard to do on the Internet (as it requires proper etiquette from all players).

As far as metagaming goes, one rule in the games I've GMed was that metagaming was discouraged and semi-forbidden. I've mostly played with the same set of people, and we always felt that metagaming took away from the spirit and fun of the game. That said, we did have some form of a "it's not cheating when you don't get caught" rule in play; metagaming was just somewhat forbidden in publicspace.

Either way, yeah, I'll join in, though I probably won't do too well in the roleplaying aspect (even though roleplaying is often what breaks up a boring game of random fingerpointing, in my experience). :)

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Ooo yes yes I wanna join in

This will be super fun

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

The rules are coming together. Recalling Lukipela's identification trick (prove he's Yehat by projecting the shields around the identification-capable ship)... it won't be so useful. The Syreen are in charge of the same set of ships, after all.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:11 pm

That was a good trick, pity it didn't work. Still, we won't be flying alliance ships at all this time I suppose.

A real pity not a single frungylovers or UQMFer has joined us. Some people here have accounts over there and so forth, but all the people in this thread are people I count as SCDBers first and foremost. Or #uqm-arena:ers I suppose

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 pm

I was looking around for inspiration and reread a portion of Hitmen for Destiny. In particular, the part starting here:

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/thorsby/ ... pter=32737

It seems to me rather like a game of mafia with a bizarre win condition substituted for the normal mafia objectives. But it's not quite.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I am facing a period of intense work that appears like it's going to last longer than previously expected. The game was pencilled in to start in two weeks; now it's looking like four to eight.

In fact, I might not be around much at all.