Serving your race, where to do so?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Serving your race, where to do so?

Post by Alvarin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Volunteers are as much choice as it can get.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Alvarin wrote:No, I don't think so. Adventure is something positive, done by choice. War and any other necessity is never by choice and even if it is something you like typically, the fact it was forced on you, rather than chosen by you will negate all of the fun factors.
Wikipedia wrote:An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.Source
Doesn't say anything about it needing to be voluntary really.

Somewhat on topic, I think an Utwig ship wouldn't be totally amiss. Barring their voices, the environment seems pretty soothing and calm.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:43 am

Alvarin wrote:Volunteers are as much choice as it can get.
So? You were arguing a very different point, that war can't also be adventure.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 am

Death 999 wrote:
Alvarin wrote:Volunteers are as much choice as it can get.
So? You were arguing a very different point, that war can't also be adventure.
Oh, I understand what you mean now. No, I meant that the forced war can't be an adventure. Sorry didn't make myself clear on that.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

Death 999 wrote:Angelfish, what about Guy Fawkes? He was an anarchist who made a methodical but kind of stupid and yet almost successful plot to destroy Parliament for some bad reasons, and failed. It was neither war nor an adventure.
nevermind, I misread your comment :)

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Lukipela wrote: Somewhat on topic, I think an Utwig ship wouldn't be totally amiss. Barring their voices, the environment seems pretty soothing and :-\-smf calm.
For some reason the whiny Utwig voices has always reminded me of that guy from the Cure.

Tuxedo Dolphin
ZEXy Beast

Post by Tuxedo Dolphin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:47 pm

99% of people are gonna tl;dr this one. But anyway.

"Serve your species" is a much trickier question than it looks at first glance. I think two choices are the most significant.

Considering the definition of species: humans and Syreen _are_ the same species since they can interbreed and produce healthy, viable offspring. So if you think 'serve your species' you have to think of both races at the same time.
However, this larger humanity is in danger of losing the valuable population of Syreen genes due to their recent setbacks. (Loss of Syra, war attrition) But many of the Syreen genes are really valuable in the hostile Star Control / UQM universe -- better interpersonal cooperation skills, lack of sexual dimorphism, possible psychic powers. If those genes, grouped with Earth-human competitiveness and ingenuity are combined, the whole of humanity is more likely to survive and thrive. Probably be a lot happier too. So.. that might give you one answer of which ship to serve on!

The other choice is a little more subtle. In my opinion the Pkunk are one of the most terrifying races in all of UQM. Think about it. We're talking about a race that can literally COME BACK FROM THE DEAD. To put it in appropriately hippie terms, this is 'really cosmic man'. This is everything about religion, the afterlife, the nature of the soul, all wrapped up in the little feathered bodies of a character I see on my cereal box. This isn't just asking if God exists, this is asking and getting Her phone number. Serving on a Pkunk ship could answer the most fundamental question any sapient species has to face. Seems like getting a handle on THAT information could 'serve your species' -- hell, all life in the universe -- pretty well too. Tough call!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Tuxedo Dolphin wrote:99% of people are gonna tl;dr this one. But anyway.
??? off of two medium paragraphs?

As for human and syreen being the same species, it's not certain that natural unaided reproduction is possible. If it were, it seems to me that there would have been quite a lot more of a hullabaloo made over the similarity.

Plus, penetrators are not breeding facilities.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah, we're pretty used to text around here.

Anyway, we don't know to what level interbreeding is possible, or what the effects on offspring are. Tigers and Lions can interbreed, but male offspring is sterile down the line and the physical traits of ligers and tigons are pretty different.

And as Death said, Penetrators are hardly breeding farms, they are combat vessels.

The Pkunk suggestion is interesting. I hadn't considered that, but being aboard a Fury when it reincarnated ought to be pretty interesting. Wait, I've read about that, in Death's fanfic maybe? Or somewhere else? Anyway, it'd be a pretty wild ride.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm

I did include a recounting, by a pkunk who had previously not been so very focused on spiritualism. I expect it would be different for a non-Pkunk.