Dear Paul & Fred

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Re: Dear Paul Reiche III

Post by cymon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:01 pm

You know how this whole traveling thing can be fixed? The star Control 1 full game map! YEAH!

Okay, Mario Galaxy then. Or Starfox 64. They're all the same thing. You can go from node to node. Certian nodes are only reachable from certian other nodes. Don't make it all free form like notSC3. Force you to plot routes. I wouldn't even mind if you were shown the routes, unlike in SC1. In fact that would probably make it a remake of SC1 infinitely better.

Fred
ZEXy Beast

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Cedric6014 wrote: I wish you guys wouldn’t get our hopes up like that! Last time (circa ’07) you said something like “Paul’s really fired up has been brainstorming ideas like mad.”.
If you know the dynamic between me and Paul, you would know that I'm the one who makes things happen. He gets all the credit (hence the name of this thread) and I'm OK with that. That being said though, we're a long, long way from anything concrete.
Cedric6014 wrote: We want a sequel, we know you want a sequel. But we all know Activision is a bit iffy. As you say, if you’re gonna work on it, it will prolly have to be on your spare time.
It will definitely be in our spare time for a while, but we also want to spend the time to do the job right. I guess that's what got us in trouble with Accolade the first time around ;)

In case it isn't clear, this is not a TFB venture. It is a Paul and Fred venture.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Fred wrote:In case it isn't clear, this is not a TFB venture. It is a Paul and Fred venture.
Arguably, that makes it even better. ;D-smf

Keep us posted!

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Draxas wrote:
Fred wrote:In case it isn't clear, this is not a TFB venture. It is a Paul and Fred venture.
Arguably, that makes it even better. ;D-smf

Keep us posted!
I would go so far as to say inarguably, that makes it better, considering some of the horror stories I've heard about TFB's parent company.

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Cedric6014 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Fred wrote: In case it isn't clear, this is not a TFB venture. It is a Paul and Fred venture.
Sounds like a legal minefield to me. You'd better re-read the contract you signed and make sure it doesn't say something like. "And all TFB employees and managers and their spare time are belong to us"

Also sounds like you wont get much sleep over the next 5 years!

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Jeeze, take it easy Cedric. I'm sure Paul Fred knows what his contract says.
Last edited by Eth on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Paul, Fred, what's the diff? ;)

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Fred wrote: If you know the dynamic between me and Paul, you would know that I'm the one who makes things happen. He gets all the credit (hence the name of this thread) and I'm OK with that.
Isn't it always the case?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:23 pm

cymon wrote:You know how this whole traveling thing can be fixed? The star Control 1 full game map! YEAH!

Okay, Mario Galaxy then. Or Starfox 64. They're all the same thing. You can go from node to node. Certian nodes are only reachable from certian other nodes. Don't make it all free form like notSC3. Force you to plot routes. I wouldn't even mind if you were shown the routes, unlike in SC1. In fact that would probably make it a remake of SC1 infinitely better.
I had a thought like this.

While thinking about how to generate sc1-style maps for Dragon's SC* remake, I considered in passing what the physical basis for it might be. General relativity was a thought, but this is in HyperSpace; if massive objects like stars cause HyperSpace to ``break" and objects to fall back into TrueSpace, HyperSpace might get retarded in the presence of those same stars in a way that caused the distance to increase, making travel through regions densely populated with stars slower (e.g. it takes more turns in discrete time).

The metric could be modified that way. It could make HyperSpace quite interesting, seeing one's speed vary through space, and the same effect occurring for one's pursuers (or one's prey).
Axemaster wrote:I can see you are highly frustrated with the time it takes to mine.
No, that's not what I said. I'm fine with time-consuming experiences that are either at least fun, or at least internally consistent.
Axemaster wrote:Mining in Rts games is proven, it's not about my opinion. It is part of the core in every rts game which has been unquestionably succesfull
throughout the years. In SC2, the only difference is you steer the vehicle in realtime.
What made your ``proof" invalid was that you attempted to equate the resource gathering commonly found in third person RTS with the manual resource gathering in SC2/UQM. In the game universe they may be superficially similar tasks, but they are vastly different gameplay experiences. One being fun does not mean the other will be.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm

"It will definitely be in our spare time for a while, but we also want to spend the time to do the job right. I guess that's what got us in trouble with Accolade the first time around

In case it isn't clear, this is not a TFB venture. It is a Paul and Fred venture."

That time one has without being constricted by the daily routine.
I feel sometimes is where wonderful things happen, i try to do as many things as possible that i actually like during my spare time. It must be awesome to be able to spend it creating something we all have a passion for.
Star Control, it is alive!

"Jeeze, take it easy Cedric. I'm sure Paul knows what his contract says."

Yes i'm honored to have Fred in our presence and Him and Paul just as much excited as we are.
Be nice please.

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:40 pm

"What made your ``proof" invalid was..." that you attempted to equate the resource gathering commonly found in third person RTS with the manual resource gathering in SC2/UQM. In the game universe they may be superficially similar tasks, but they are vastly different gameplay experiences. One being fun does not mean the other will be."

Yes you are right, it is not precisely the same but there is a relation between the two.

Like Fred said you can't please them all, the TFB team liked and approved it. So did many others. Not everyone will agree on everything.

Then it is not just about the mining.
It's the experience down there that is awesome, you are on an alien world, you have to navigate through it, and get as much as quickly as possible. Dodging fire/tectonics, side stepping an alien, see how far you can push yourself without blowing up your ship. And with todays technology that experience could be transformed into an even higher level of excitement.

If one let's an automated drone do the job for you, while you sit and have some Spathi Pie in your ship in orbit around the planet.
Or kick back in your comms tower back at base on the planet.
You'd be missing out on all the action/exploration/excitement!

Being on the planet and experiencing the planet
is what it is all about! Seeing if one is brave enough to score that
valued mineral beating the odds, puts you right into the action!

It is exciting to see how much you can get away with amongst all the danger.

As for your thought on hyperspace,

I agree i would also like to see it made more lively, with added eye candy.

Cosmic storms, supernovas, black holes and their effects, an asteroid field, maybe even some mysterious elements like dark matter, dark energy. oooo i'm getting all excited again!!!

But also the game still needs to be fun to play, one must not get fixiated by one aspect for too long. Some missions would require dedication sure but it's the whole experience one needs to enjoy. SC2 did that well.

And of course i'm all for Super Melee, the ships, abilities, aliens, personalities, weapons, shields we haven't started on yet.
I must say TFB did a splendid job with the existing ones.

for now...... i need to get back into my ship..... It's all FUELED UP!