Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

All hail the Great Teacher! For the glory of Culture Twenty!
May it have a long, happy life before dying in nuclear fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
All hail the Great Teacher! For the glory of Culture Twenty!
May it have a long, happy life before dying in nuclear fire.

What better way to usher in an all new culture? But what should the next one be called? Hmmm… I’ll let the Thraddash think long and hard on that one.

(Meanwhile…)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 19, 2157 – Starbase – Status: Docked

We have arrived safely back to Starbase with the Aqua Helix in our possession and we didn’t even anger the Thraddash! Ok, well granted it’s only because we high-tailed it out of there as soon as we left Zeta Draconis 1 after sheisting the precious artifact from our unsuspecting pupils!

Not because our first attempt to leave surreptitiously was thwarted or anything, but mainly because I was curious (yeah, curious is the word) about how they would react to their Great Teacher taking the proverbial apple from the student and setting it on the desk, but they reacted exactly identical as before, and the ‘human thief skulking weasel’ speech commenced, followed up by every Thraddash receiving the all-points bulletin after quickly finding our way onto Draco’s most wanted list.

The second attempt went much smoother: Entered orbit, got permission to land, landed, grabbed blue twisty thing, launched, returned to ship, reprimanded Hendryx, set course for outside edge of system, disengaged auto-pilot to avoid a Thraddash patrol, entered hyperspace, immediately activated portal spawner to avoid more Thraddash, entered quasispace, base portal, made it home.

I got the light load lecture again, since we accidentally ran over a common mineral deposit of ammonia on our way to the sacred chamber holding the helix, and I forgot to jettison them. Hey, who can blame me? For a mere cost of like 12 RUs, I wouldn’t have heard his jabbering because weirdly enough, Hayes never complains when I return empty-handed! And as hard as I try, I can’t interrupt the commander quickly enough to explain that I’ve already heard the scientists’ report on the Aqua Helix, many, many times before. Hey! Maybe Culture 9 was right after all; by all accounts, that Aqua Helix seems fairly useless!

And right on schedule, the Shofixti have returned! But strangely enough, even though I went to the shipyard and confirmed my suspicions that Thraddash ships are indeed ready for deployment, Commander Hayes didn’t even mention anything about the Thraddash whatsoever! Maybe it has something to do with every time I see him, there’s always a couple of fairly large Thraddash bullies standing next time him with clenched fists, telling him that if he even utters one word about them being there that they will pound him into the ground, but I’m still not sure.

Anyways, we need decide on where we should focus our attention on the next part of our mission. We still need to get this bomb device thing so we can take on the Sa-Matra, but from all reports we’ve gathered, we’ll have to track down the Utwig in the upper-coreward region of space and see what we need to do before they’ll let us have it. Maybe they’re keeping it some planet like the Thraddash and we can ask in the same manner to “go have a quick looksy” and take it off their hands while they’re looking the other way! It could happen!

However, before then I’d like to redo the unification of the Syreen alliance, since the Mycon have resettled back at Beta Brahe, hopefully a little more humbled about destroying planets that already have life occupying them, plus I noticed Penetrator ships weren’t available after I shuffled the fleet around somewhat, replacing an Orz and Arilou ship with a newly christened Scout and Torch; the H.M.S. Chikuma, Captain Wasabe commanding, and the H.M.S. Chariots of Fire, Captain Znork commanding, respectively.

And then came the words from Commander Hayes as we left for departure from starport, “Bring back lots of mineral, Captain.” Just picture me leaping with arms extended and hands outstretched towards Hayes’ neck and you’ll have a good image of our parting words! “Can it Hayes!”

Now that we’re on our way to the Syreen Station, I wonder if Talana ever had the chance to watch those Orion girl dance videos I left with her the last time I visited? Best speed for Betelgeuse! Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Well, the Shofixti need plenty of food, so that they have enough energy for thir recreational exercises...So bring back plenty of ressources so the food processors can start cranking out the energizing stuff....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:28 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Also necessary to mine some for making cigars. Are you aware of just how much the average Thraddash smokes over the course of a day? Have you ever seen one of them standing around without a cigar in their mouth? Suffice to say that their pilots aren't exactly going to go anywhere near a "no smoking" area even under threat of death... although honestly, I don't think that particular threat would go down so badly with them, seeing how it's a perfectly good excuse to start a fight. Also, I'd like to notify you that the starbase air scrubbers are rapidly approaching their breaking points by now, and that you may want to avoid starbase floor twelve until further notice. We're still cleaning up after that incident yesterday.

But oh well. Nevermind my rambles. May the stars ever align in your favor, and just in case they don't, drop by your local Pkunk spirit-guide and I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:09 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
Also, I'd like to notify you that the starbase air scrubbers are rapidly approaching their breaking points by now, and that you may want to avoid starbase floor twelve until further notice. We're still cleaning up after that incident yesterday.

Incident? What incident? I mean… do you have anything to report, Commander?

(Meanwhile…)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 28, 2157 – Alpha Tucanae – Yellow Alert

The portal put us right between Umgah and Quan space, with respects to the ZFP’s little spot, which is where we’re heading before Betelgeuse, since I want to make sure the Mycon have settled back in Brahe so we’ll be sure to receive the Syreen’s report, so we set course for Alpha Tucanae to see how they’re doing.

As soon as we crossed the border and fell within all three respective species spheres of influence, we began getting followed by all sorts of different bogeys, and due to the similar speeds that each of their races’ ships possess, it’s difficult to discern which is which, but we weren’t about to be taking any chances and performed evasive maneuvers whenever deemed necessary. Besides, even if one of them happened to be a friendly Stinger squadron, it would hold us outside of warp long enough for the others to catch up!

Once we entered the system and dropped to impulse, scanners immediately showed numerous Kohr-Ah Marauder patrols roaming each of the planets… including the innermost planet -- the Zoq-Fot-Pik homeworld! Oh no!! If even only one Marauder ship enters orbit, it means almost certain death for all the poor ZFP! Because as we all know, an entire fleet of Stingers is no match for a single Marauder!

We weren’t about to let that happen, and so we waged war and had some severe pitched battles with every Kohr-Ah in the system, but our casualties are heavy. We’ve lost our only fishbowl, scout, torch, and one of the Arilou saucers. We came really close to losing a Pkunk too, which was destroyed by a Marauder after it got too close and was blasted by a fiery ring, but fortunately, it rematerialized out of thin air (or thin space, as it were) and finished off the Kohr-Ah vessel.

We used the Vindicator for the remaining Kohr-Ah warships, but we had to continuously refill our crew stations with those from both our Spathi companions after we’d take a few blades during the course of the battles. We told those stinking worms we would destroy them if they attacked, but they refused to listen. Oh well, the Zoq-Fot-Pik should be safe for now… at least for another day or so! We shall proceed to Alpha Tucanae I. Captain out.
Captain’s Log: Supplemental:

Unfortunately, they had nothing new to share with us, so, to undo the needless casualties (and don’t worry, the ZFP will be all right; maybe I exaggerated a little about how much peril they were in) I went ahead and used the time portal to take us back to our re-emergence from the portal.

The Zoq leader had repeated the reference to how some of them are sensing psychic waves coming from the Orion Constellation, and it brought back those memories back on how the Arilou Lalee’lay had told us about taking them an injured talking pet for the Umgah to experim… I mean, to try and help the poor thing.

As I recall, the Arilou told us we should check in on them to see how things are progressing, but the last time we tried that, we were attacked repeatedly by those crazy blobs! Perhaps they’ve made more progress since our last visit, but I still want to go see Tala… I mean, uh… we need to go see the Syreen to verify the establishment of our mutually beneficial alliance.

We will set course for Betelgeuse. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Dec 1, 2157 – Betelgeuse Starbase – Status: Docked

Our flight path took us briefly inside the giant green and black spheres of influence, but it was still long enough to attract some attention, but a minor course correction ensured that we would not have any trouble, and we arrived in Betelgeuse and a little while later, we docked with the Syreen base.

Commander Talana retold me the story (although I pretended it was the first time to keep her happy) of their Mycon battle, their Starbase defense plans, and the reports of them receiving broadcasts from the direction of the Horologii Constellation, which I assume is the great ritual battle and other Sa-Matra stuff. She also told me I needed to set aside some time so the Syreen could demonstrate their appreciation of my heroics. What a coincidence! It just so happens my calendar is free for the next two weeks! It drives me crazy from time to time, but I sure do love that time machine at times like these!

Since it’s been tugging on my mind most recently, we will use the same quasi-portal to put us back outside ZFP territory, and then we shall proceed to Beta Orionis to drop in on the Umgah and see what they’re up to. We will set course for Beta Orionis. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Dec 14, 2157- Beta Orionis – Yellow Alert

We arrived in Beta Orionis without incident, but there were a vast supply of Drones immediately popping up on sensors as soon as we entered their home system:

We tried to sneak past them, but there were too many, and as soon as they caught eye(s) of our presence, they moved in. We tried to make a run for the homeworld, but there were others beyond sensors range that showed up as we closed in on the planet, and we were at once confronted by a squadron of four Drones.

Surprisingly, they seemed more interested in getting rid of us than joking around before battling us like they’d usually do. Plus, they sounded different. Much different, in fact. They still laughed, but it sounded much more monotone. And everything seemed to be like one-word sentences. Curious.

They said not much had happened in the past twenty years and everything had been very boring, so I asked about the talking pet, but they said it had died. Bummer. The most peculiar thing though, however, was when I asked if they were going to attack us if we tried to leave, but they simply told us ‘No. Leave.’ almost as if they were content as long as we left them alone:

Very peculiar. Hmmm… come to think of it, that doesn’t seem like the Umgah I remember. Something is up with these guys and I’m going to find out what!

We will find another Drone patrol (which shouldn’t be too hard!) and see what happens this time. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Funny timing - my kids just passed through this part yesterday. They didn't actually try asking if they could leave, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Funny timing - my kids just passed through this part yesterday. They didn't actually try asking if they could leave, though.

I’m glad to hear they’re still playing! I know that you probably can’t reveal too much (plus I realize it’s just about impossible to keep track of everything I do or don’t already know) but how are things progressing for them?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

The Troglodyte wrote:
Death 999 wrote:

I’m glad to hear they’re still playing! I know that you probably can’t reveal too much (plus I realize it’s just about impossible to keep track of everything I do or don’t already know) but how are things progressing for them?

They're doing quite well. They have the portal spawner and are partway through exploring that (much like you). It took them a long time to find the Slylandro because they didn't get all the hints. You've done a lot more in the southern stretches than they have (they have not sent the Ilwrath, met the Syreen or the Mycon, nor acquired the maidens), but they're around as accomplished as you in the northwest quadrant.

There are still things they've done that you haven't, so you aren't clear to read their log quite yet. If they stop and you keep going, you could be able to look it over soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Thanks Death for the update! :)

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log – Dec 14, 2157- Beta Orionis (Near Planet 2) – Red Alert

It would seem that my suspicions of the Umgah may have just been confirmed. I believe they’re all somehow under some kind of mind control, like a mass hypnosis or some such alien telepathic psychic manipulation. Well, I suppose I probably should have picked up on it earlier, considering the blank stares I got as they looked back at me, with their now more visible large eyelids which lazily sagged over all twenty or thirty-something eyes. They were also swift to terminate communications and encourage us to see our way out, but it definitely seemed like they were up to something. Not to mention how badly their jokes started sucking, which should have been an immediate tip-off. Here were some of the better ones:

Umgah – “WHY. DO. PRECURSORS. WEAR. A. BELL?… BECAUSE. THEIR. HORNS. DON’T. WORK. HAR. HAR. HAR.”
Umgah – “TWO. ILWRATHS. EATING. A. CLOWN. ONE. SAYS. TO. OTHER. DOES. THIS. TASTE. FUNNY. TO. YOU? HAR. HAR. HAR.”
Umgah – “VUX. ARE. SO. UGLY… … … I. SAID. VUX. ARE. SO. UGLY…”
Captain Zelnick – “Oh! That’s my cue… How ugly are they?”
Umgah – “THEY. SO. UGLY. THEY. EVEN. MAKE. ONIONS. CRY. HAR. HAR. HAR.”

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that before the apparent mind-wipe they were exactly killing it as the featured comedic guest on the “Late Show” or anything, because their humor has always been fairly lame (and usually a bit offensive) but I do believe we’ve hit the bottom of the barrel in the joke department!

I tried to keep things civil as long as possible, and the Umgah appeared more than happy to oblige and continue to repeat themselves and let us leave unharmed, but my gut instincts kept telling me something was wrong with the Umgah themselves, and if I’m putting the pieces together correctly, I began to wonder if sometime during their experiments on the injured talking pet they had in their care, did they accidentally revive the bastard and get more than they bargained for… but then I thought, “It’s just one Dnyarri! How much damage could one little restored talking pet thing cause?”

Anyway, so I pressed a little further and after they reassured me for the twelfth time that the talking pet had died, I plainly told them that I didn’t believe them. Big mistake. They exclaimed (well, exclaimed in their dull, monotone voice) that we knew too much and there could be no outside interference in their “plans”… and they attacked! Plans? What plans?!

Suddenly it became clearer as to how many Drones there actually were in this system, because after we had blasted our way through the first set of brainwashed blobs, there were dozens more coming from the pink gas planets towards us with their cones fully engaged presenting an intimidating (yet sparkly and pretty) dense field of antimatter, as they told each other in their communications that we could not be allowed to escape.

Sometimes they’d even try to convince us that they had changed their minds, or they wanted to give us a gift, but it was all a ploy to try to get their ships in range to utilize their cone weapon, but we knew better, and the Vindicator thus far has done an effective job at keeping them at arm’s reach, but no matter how many we destroy… they still keep coming! We’re up to our ears in blobbies! Yikes!

We will try to avoid them as best as we can as we try to make our way to the homeworld. Maybe we’ll get some answers when we arrive there… We have set course for Beta Orionis I. Maintain Red Alert. Captain out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Heck, those jokes. I remember them being bad. Maybe that's why I forgot the topics of the jokes.....

I never noticed the Precursor bell/horn joke, which may indicate that the Ortogs of SC3 (which has never happened anyway) was not pulled out of thin air, but this line specifically.
Makes SC3 fit slightly better into the lore, if it weren't for the creepy Syreen, and, and, and ....
Makes me wonder if the Ortog are also living wihin the Umgah sphere and they already noticed a connection between them...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next