Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Eth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:57 am

I've certainly self-identified as a gamer, and also as a father, husband, book-lover, animator, etc.

Gamergate certainly points out the potential pitfalls of identifying too much with a sub-culture; it can make people hostile and cliquish.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:25 am

Maybe it's just a semantic quibble, then.

But I'm definitely going to react differently to people who say "I play computer games" versus those who might say "I'm a gamer". The former I'd assume to be well-adjusted folks with a healthy interest in murdering digital aliens, while the latter are just a little too invested in the whole thing.
Shiver wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:If you do identify yourself as a "gamer" - if the primary defining feature of your existence is the fact that you play games - then you really do need to get a fucking life.
Terminology aside, I stand by the second half of this statement. If your life is centered on playing computer games, and you're not some Korean Starcraft wizard, then you need to diversify your interests, stat.

Anyway, you were bored and wanted an argument, stop bitching now that you've got one.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:31 am

Bleeding Star wrote:Terminology aside, I stand by the second half of this statement. If your life is centered on playing computer games, and you're not some Korean Starcraft wizard, then you need to diversify your interests, stat.

Anyway, you were bored and wanted an argument, stop bitching now that you've got one.
No objection. :)-smf
Bleeding Star wrote:I'd be similarly suspicious of someone who identified as "movie buff" as a primary identifier, or "reader", or "TV-watcher". They're things you do, not things you should be proud of, or form an identity around. It just makes one seem very boring or one-faceted. That might be more of a personal semantic hangup though.
Well, my point of contention was the extent to which gaming is demonized compared to other forms of consumer entertainment. I have mixed feelings about what you're saying now, and that doesn't really motivate much debate.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am

Eth wrote:I've certainly self-identified as a gamer, and also as a father, husband, book-lover, animator, etc.
Yeah, I don't think identifying as multiple things is bad. But as a new parent, let me not tell you about the terrible and frustrating people who identify themselves as only "fathers" or "mothers", because that stuff gets real old real fast. I agree with BS that anyone who thinks of themselves as a singular thing is a bit suspect, be they gamers, movie buffs, classical music consumers, football fans, or stamp collectors. With the possible exception of astronaut I suppose.

As for the original topic question, I'm not really that aware of most of this. I'm not super interested in a new SC sequel, since the original studio isn't handling it. I've got very little opinion on Stardock, although I think the article puts their CEO in a bad light since it doesn't seem to explain as much as defend. Though maybe there's a better explanation somewhere else? Regarding gamergate it sounds to me like manchildren worrying about diversity in videogaming under a thin veneer of ethics in journalism, but I don't play games often enough to care at the moment. When my daughter grows up a bit more I'll have to take more of an interest in these kind of things again I suppose.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Shiver wrote:Well, my point of contention was the extent to which gaming is demonized compared to other forms of consumer entertainment. I have mixed feelings about what you're saying now, and that doesn't really motivate much debate.
Well, I think as with all stereotypes, there is a grain of truth to the gamer stereotype - the problem becomes when too broad a brush is used. Ironically, gamergate pretty much confirmed the public's suspicions about gamers as a bunch of screaming misogynistic children - though of course they don't represent all gamers.

Sorry, not inflammatory enough. Gamers are autistic smelly nerds who have never had girlfriends! Anita Sarkeesian for president! I don't see the problem with Thraddash in net-melee!
Lukipela wrote:I agree with BS that anyone who thinks of themselves as a singular thing is a bit suspect, be they gamers, movie buffs, classical music consumers, football fans, or stamp collectors. With the possible exception of astronaut I suppose.
I gotta say, if there's another group of screaming misogynists that deserve scorn and don't get it, it's rabid sports fans. And I can't say why they don't get it. Possibly because they can wash themselves and talk to women.
Lukipela wrote:Regarding gamergate it sounds to me like manchildren worrying about diversity in videogaming under a thin veneer of ethics in journalism
Largely an accurate impression. Now there's no need dig any further into the matter: I promise you'll be happier for it.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:53 pm

For a discussion about Gamergate, this has been surprisingly civil. *claps*
Anyway, on Bleeding Star's point, I do think that their is definitely a rampant streak of misogyny in gaming, but I don't think it's specific only to gaming. It's in all walks of life. You alluded to it when you mentioned sports fans, but there are many other male groups (the gay community is one that comes to mind as being deeply misogynistic, but in different ways), which have these misogynistic tendencies. So I don't think it's a gamer issue, but a male issue. Yes, yes, it's not all men, obviously, but it's a large group that is a stain on society, and gamergate is just another manifestation of that. Gamergate was a group of misogynists (mainly) who hurt any kind of cause they had, however unrealistic and unnecessary by making such threats and sexist remarks. Although there are some in the movement which were not misogynistic, and maybe had some legitimate point, they hurt their cause by putting themselves under the name of this movement.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Lol
Extrazoe19.jpeg
Extrazoe19.jpeg (91.16 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 am

Unnecessary satire that suggests that the rape and violent threats by some gamers were merely created by the media, which is clearly not true.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 am

The agenda driven media doesn't particularly present a distinction between some 14 year old trolling on twitter, and actual substantial threats.

Likewise, just as the media and general public likes to overhype trivial rape threats, the instances of women crying wolf and faking their own rape for money and attention are conveniently left unattended.

Brianna Wu claims that twitter harassment has driven her from her own home. In reality, he/she attempted to invent an image macro to, ironically, attack and insult gamers. This backfired against him, and that is when she started to play the victim card. Note that the kid in that picture was taken from an autism Website. Real classy Brianna. There is considerable evidence that the death threat that apparently drove Brianna from her home was actually doctored and posted by Brianna himself.

Zoe Quinn accused Wizardchan of the same kind of harassment and death threats. It was later CONFIRMED that at least some of these threats were actually posted by Quinn herself, and the rest were posted by harmless losers trying to troll Wizardchan.
Unedited exert from an interview with Fredrick Brennan, Admin of 8chan wrote:I was friends with the subsequent admin of Wizardchan, Glaive, who was in charge during the Zoë drama. The way it was described in the media is not the way that it happened at all. Many Wizardchan users are very depressed and have trouble even ordering pizza over the telephone, muchless calling someone they don’t know and making threats. The threatening posts made on Wizardchan were made by Zoë herself for attention and by trolls from other websites, as was confirmed by IP checks. Some media outlets recanted their story, but by then the damage was already done.
The full interview can be found here

Developers who question Zoe at all are being threatened and bullied into submission. But nobody talks about it.

This picture speaks for itself, really. Good thing somebody screenshotted that tweet before it was deleted.

Good thing you guys have me here :D-smf this thread was starting to turn into an echo chamber

Edit: There is ALSO considerable evidence that Anita Sarkeesian faked twitter death threatsagainst herself in the same vein.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 am

See, now you're just descending into conspiracy-theory nonsense. There's no motivation for someone to start an organized program of death-threats against themself.

You have nothing substantive to say, except "Maybe they're lying!"