About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by palmpet » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:21 pm

I forget, did Trog ever check out the once homeworld of the burvixese? (Or the algolite one?)
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:52 am

Wow, people are getting awfully free with the spoilers. Stop trying to tell him what he missed, folks!

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Tormuse wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:22 pm
Alvarin wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am
That came from the endgame credits here -
Youtube -> watch?v=WJK_oB6Wm8U @8:40
Oh, I know where the joke came from. I was just trying to reassure Trog that it wasn't because he missed something.

And regarding TFB stuff: Cool, I learned something new today. :)

Also, one other thing: I probably shouldn't say this, because I shouldn't slow Trog down when he's approaching the endgame... but I know he'll appreciate it, so I'm gonna say it. When the Druuge promised to "fill up your fuel tanks for no extra charge," I'm surprised you didn't try time portalling back and returning to them with 16 empty high-efficiency fuel systems. :D
Don't forget to throw out all weapons (replace them by high-eff fuel tanks), and ditch the supporting fleet for tankers for even more financial gain and maximum draining of the Druuge economy....
Oh, wait, there are no tankers....

@palmpet: I'm sure he the information from the Melnorme already, although he has not acted on it yet....

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 am

Draxas wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm
*Sigh* ^ Spoiler tags, please?
Tormuse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Huh, this might just be ignorance on my part, but I was under the impression that all the voice-acting in the 3DO release was fan recordings. How "official" is the official release? (Though I see in the credits that Paul Reiche III himself did the voices of the Mycon and the Dnyarri)
It's an official product. The 3DO version was released a year or two after the DOS version, by TFB and Accolade. They didn't exactly hire professional voice talent (hence why most of the voices are provided by staff that also worked on the game in other capacities), but it's definitely not fan recordings.
I really dislike a lot of the voice acting in SC2, which is one of the few things SC3 did better, hiring professionals ;).
the voice acting in the 3do version makes the game seem like a kiddies game. I originally played the DOS version and imagined the voices in my head, so I was disappointed when the uqm version (which I played many years later) was not up to par with what I had in mind.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I never imagined voices when playing the Digital Operating System version....
The only imaginary voices I heard where "watch out, they are trying to kill you from behind", "these DOGIs gonna bite you!a, "females will brainwash you", "Get down now, dinner's ready", "careful with that third switch", "boy is that monster hungry!", "you will cleanse your room", "bedtime!", and then my monitor went black and I felt disoriented and hungry....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 am

krulle wrote:You're visiting your friends of Culture WhatIsItNow?
I’ve thought about returning to Thraddash space, but I suspect they kept plenty of security cameras surrounding the shrine of their most sacred Aqua Helix, so I would still be the Jabba equivalent of their Han Solo.
Tormuse wrote:Hey there, I've been neglecting this thread for... over a year, it seems, :oops: […] :) […] ;) […] :o […] :P […] :)
So great to hear from you Tormuse!
Tormuse wrote:I once found it amusing to load my ship up with PDLs and use them to get insta-kills on the Thraddash. $
I may have to try that! Sounds fun! :lol:
Tormuse wrote:(If you've already heard their "normal" jokes, perhaps Zelnick doesn't get the option to ask them about their sense of humour)
I would have to cross-reference my save game patterns with my logs to determine which file would be prior to the debut encounter with the Umgah, but then I assume I would have to trigger the sequence which zombifies the Umgah, which I can’t remember what brings that about, since encountering the Umgah in that state was completely unexpected to me. (which also made it one of my favorite encounters in the game so far)
Tormuse wrote:Back when you first got the Dnyarri, you visited the Arilou homeworld and expressed disappointment that they didn't say anything about it. This is very strange, because there actually is supposed to be new dialogue at that point.
Yeah, it would have been gratifying to have received that dialogue, especially since there is such a close connection between the Arilou and the wounded Talking Pet. Thanks for sharing it!
Draxas wrote:The whiny Utwig voice is the official one from the 3DO release. This was a serious point of contention back years ago,
I can see why. I tried to make the best of it by exaggerating the effect when I made my logs in an attempt to convey the bridge shaking and people doubling over from the escruciatingly painful sound emanating from the Utwig as they spoke!
Tormuse wrote:When the Druuge promised to "fill up your fuel tanks for no extra charge," I'm surprised you didn't try time portalling back and returning to them with 16 empty high-efficiency fuel systems. :D
I never actually considered that possibility. Interesting. Do thy respond differently when you milk them dry or something? Haha! I’m actually tempted to reload one of my old save games and giving that a try!
krulle wrote:Don't forget to throw out all weapons (replace them by high-eff fuel tanks), and ditch the supporting fleet
Oh, I remember the Druuge policy concerning what they consider derelict ships! Not falling for it krulle! (although I’ll admit I’m curious as to the outcome of your proposal)
Tormuse wrote:PS I'm all caught up now! :D
Right on! Unfortunately, unlike your new job, which allows for more reading (your secret is safe with me! ;)-smf ) my new job keeps me pretty busy when I would otherwise have more space to fill with creativity and constant story development, but I still give it my best shot to keep it fun and entertaining, but I’ll admit the posts are more spread out these days. (sigh)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 am
Tormuse wrote:(If you've already heard their "normal" jokes, perhaps Zelnick doesn't get the option to ask them about their sense of humour)
I would have to cross-reference my save game patterns with my logs to determine which file would be prior to the debut encounter with the Umgah, but then I assume I would have to trigger the sequence which zombifies the Umgah, which I can’t remember what brings that about, since encountering the Umgah in that state was completely unexpected to me. (which also made it one of my favorite encounters in the game so far)
I know what triggers the zombification. I don't know if it's a spoiler for you at this point, but I'll tag it as such anyway: Visiting the Arilou homeworld triggers it. I know because I once tried challenging myself to play a game without using Quasispace, and multiple in-game years passed without zombification happening. On the other hand, I've had other games where I went straight to Quasispace first and the Umgah were zombified right from the beginning.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am

Tormuse wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm
The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 am
I know what triggers the zombification. I don't know if it's a spoiler for you at this point, but I'll tag it as such anyway: Visiting the Arilou homeworld triggers it. I know because I once tried challenging myself to play a game without using Quasispace, and multiple in-game years passed without zombification happening. On the other hand, I've had other games where I went straight to Quasispace first and the Umgah were zombified right from the beginning.
Pretty sure that getting the Umgah to talk about the talking pet in their un-zombified state also eventually triggers it. When the talking pet has come up in conversation, whether that be via the Arilou or Umgah, they are zombified some time after. At least that is my impression of it.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am

haha, made you look!

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am
haha, made you look!
Yes, you did.