A discord server?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Stickman_king_28
Androsynth scientist

A discord server?

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Someone should start a discord server for this forum. Not really like Stardock's, but just something unofficial. Cause I don't think forums are where i should spam my art requests and concepts.
Yes, that's all fine and dandy but WHEN GOTP?

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: A discord server?

Post by palmpet » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 pm

It WOULD be nice to have some sort of chatroom... as it would allow for some easier casual conversation that isn't as slow as waiting for a reply or PM.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 pm

I don't know much about Discord, but there is some quite active Star Control Discord server with some 100+ members. Is that not what you're looking for? I understand its name is The New Alliance of Free Stars.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Serosis
Hunam adventurer

Post by Serosis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Replying to Tiberian,

Here's an invite link to The New Alliance of Free Stars: https://discord.gg/2eMa4qf
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE

Stickman_king_28
Androsynth scientist

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Serosis wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm
Replying to Tiberian,

Here's an invite link to The New Alliance of Free Stars: https://discord.gg/2eMa4qf
OH THANK GOD! I finally have an opportunity to spill my guts about my star control fanfic custom ideas!
Yes, that's all fine and dandy but WHEN GOTP?

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 am

Serosis wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm
Replying to Tiberian,

Is this associated with UQM / Paul and Fred fandom? I assume it is but thought it would be wise to ask.
Attention Interloper

Serosis
Hunam adventurer

Post by Serosis » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 am

There's not an easy answer to that because the Discord celebrates all of Star Control, not just SC2/UQM.
Lots of healthy conversations about 1, 2, 3, Origins, and Ghosts of the Precursors. With a few mentions of the discontinued PlayStation project.

It has dedicated channels for matchmaking on those games that can be played over the net, so UQM, SC3, and SCO.

And I have my own dedicated channel for waxing on and on about the MegaMod.

If you're into the legal fracas, that has its own channel as well.

Simply put it's just a friendly place to talk about Star Control.
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am

Well okay I guess a more straightforward question is if the administration is in any way related to Stardock. I want to connect with fans of the original series and don't want to participate in any format hosted by that company at this time. :)
Attention Interloper

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 am

New Alliance of Free Stars has been a good, surprisingly active hangout. It has a mix of P&F fans and Stardock fans, making it probably the one platform on the entire Internet that's not clearly aligned with one side of the conflict. There are a decent number of Stardock fans around - many are good company, and a few of them take some getting used to. The two Stardock community managers are also guests on the server, only one of which is semi-active. That might be a problem for you.

I've been suspicious about this server since it first appeared and never really definitively ruled out that it wasn't some kind of op by Stardock. The server founder (Nackles) and his back-up moderator (DivineEternalOne) are both fairly benign. They don't have a presence on any other platform or forum that I've seen, but I haven't tried digging into it.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect.

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. I just want to hang out with actual fans of the Star Control universe. Just reading what happened at UQM I don't feel comfortable in any environment where Stardock may be administrating.
Attention Interloper