Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Elestan
Hunam adventurer

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Elestan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:52 pm

Spaceport wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 pm
So Brad figured out, on his own, that F&P might be planning their own sequel, which he expressed support for before the public announcement and without any direct confirmation from F&P.
He didn't even need to figure it out on his own; P&F told him they had plans shortly after he bought the trademark, From those same emails:
Paul Reiche on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:Fred and I are just not comfortable handing over our world to be developed by others. We’ve been discussing this for almost 20 years and we’ve always regarded a return to Star Control as our dream project – something we’d work on as soon as we found the opportunity. I know this will be a disappointment for you and your team, but Fred and I still have a Star Control plan and we’re not ready to give it up yet.
Brad has more recently tried to say that he assumed P&F would wait until Stardock was done with the franchise before putting their plans into motion, implying that it was somehow unreasonable for them to act earlier than that. But I see nothing in the email chain to suggest that he had a reasonable basis for that assumption.

And that wasn't the first baseless assumption he appears to have made. As near as I can tell, this all started when he bought the trademark under the apparent assumption that P&F would either jump at the chance to work with him, or would at least license their copyrights to him. But he didn't actually ask their opinion about it until he'd already blown $400k of his company's money on the trademark. When they turned him down, he seemed to realize that he'd bought a lemon, and tried to effectively back out of the purchase by selling it to them.

Ultimately, he asks no fewer than seven times for them to give him a license, and never really seems to get the hint that they aren't obligated to play along just because he got himself in a bind.

Spaceport

Post by Spaceport » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Elestan wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:52 pm
Spaceport wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 pm
So Brad figured out, on his own, that F&P might be planning their own sequel, which he expressed support for before the public announcement and without any direct confirmation from F&P.
He didn't even need to figure it out on his own; P&F told him they had plans shortly after he bought the trademark, From those same emails:
Paul Reiche on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:Fred and I are just not comfortable handing over our world to be developed by others. We’ve been discussing this for almost 20 years and we’ve always regarded a return to Star Control as our dream project – something we’d work on as soon as we found the opportunity. I know this will be a disappointment for you and your team, but Fred and I still have a Star Control plan and we’re not ready to give it up yet.
Brad has more recently tried to say that he assumed P&F would wait until Stardock was done with the franchise before putting their plans into motion, implying that it was somehow unreasonable for them to act earlier than that. But I see nothing in the email chain to suggest that he had a reasonable basis for that assumption.

And that wasn't the first baseless assumption he appears to have made. As near as I can tell, this all started when he bought the trademark under the apparent assumption that P&F would either jump at the chance to work with him, or would at least license their copyrights to him. But he didn't actually ask their opinion about it until he'd already blown $400k of his company's money on the trademark. When they turned him down, he seemed to realize that he'd bought a lemon, and tried to effectively back out of the purchase by selling it to them.

Ultimately, he asks no fewer than seven times for them to give him a license, and never really seems to get the hint that they aren't obligated to play along just because he got himself in a bind.
To be fair, they also said much the same thing to Accolade when StarCon was being worked on and to fans over the years, so I understand it not initially being evident that their expression of wanting to keep the rights exclusive for their own future plans meant they would be going forward in the near future.

That said, there is indeed no reasonable basis for him to assume that Paul and Fred would delay their own plans for him, nor is there any reasonable reason why they should. Buying the trademark from Atari does not mean that Paul and Fred, having nothing to do with the purchase agreement, owe him anything. Nor should it mean that if the opportunity P&F had been hoping would come along for 25 years finally presents itself, they should delay it for... who even knows how long Brad would be satisfied with given his initially stated sequel plans.

Paul and Fred are free to work or not work with him, coordinate or not coordinate with him. Any suggestion otherwise is absurd.

Elestan
Hunam adventurer

Post by Elestan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Spaceport wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm
I understand it not initially being evident that their expression of wanting to keep the rights exclusive for their own future plans meant they would be going forward in the near future.
Well, for generous values of "near future"; it was still another four years before P&F announced GotP. And while Stardock took exception to them announcing around the time of the beta, I suspect that if they'd waited another year to announce, SD would have been even more upset at them stepping on the game's actual release.

2-23-6
Always *jumping in front*

Post by 2-23-6 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

How is GotP progressing?

Elestan
Hunam adventurer

Post by Elestan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

2-23-6 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm
How is GotP progressing?
I assume it's on hold until the legal case is resolved. Why would they work on it when they might not be allowed to release it?

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

A fourth video from YouTuber Law:

"Star Control Lawsuit Update: What a Mess"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT9ZgPn ... oGcvorbSt4
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Yeah... Who could have guessed this will become even uglier...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:22 am

Well, he's just recapping what we've known for some time.

2-23-6-not-logged-in

Post by 2-23-6-not-logged-in » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Yeah, that sucks. So we'll see how long this all takes.