About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Tormuse wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: One thing that was revealed by IPLRS that I find a little peculiar is how the innermost planet falls in the warm zone while the 2nd planet is in the hot zone. It's a bit puzzling, since this is the first time this has occurred, but it brings up several possibilities...
I suspect that the game developers painted themselves into a corner here; they had already made Mercury's orbit red, so they needed another colour to signify temperatures higher than that, so they chose orange. That's my own personal theory, anyway.
That's as good of a theory as any, I suppose. It was indeed a little confusing at first, but I basically came to the same conclusion. On a separate note, I even flew over to Zeeman (since it's a very hot star) to do a quick comparison, but when I was there the first time I must not have noticed the color variation, since all of the planets in that system have the same brownish-orange orbital ring color.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:40 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Nov 16, 2156 - Eta Ceti - Status: Green

The Spathi's sphere of influence was disappearing off the map as soon as we brought the navigation computer on-line; just a few hours after we had left after finishing our stay at the Syreen's Starbase, but we proceeded on course towards our destination, which is still bringing us closer to Epsilon Gruis. This will give us the opportunity to approach "former" Spathi space and investigate any other possible alien activity or anything else unusual occurring in this region, while simultaneously allowing us to seek out the secret starship vault.

We have arrived in the Eta Ceti System, an orange dwarf star with 8 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Yellow
Planet 2 - Medium Green
Planet 3 - Small Blue
Planet 4 - Small Purple
Planet 5 - Small Green
Planet 6 - Medium Green
Planet 7 - Orange Gas Giant
Planet 8 - Green Gas Giant

We passed up on to other stars (Gamma Ceti and Delta Ceti) on our way here to Ceti, or should I rather say the Cetus Constellation, which derived its name from a sea monster in Greek mythology, which is for the most part just a big, ugly, monstrous harp-playing whale-like creature:

Ref: Wikipedia - Cetus dominates this card from Urania's Mirror (1825).

We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 7-6-1-2-3-4-5-8

We will set course for the 7th planet. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Nov 21, 2156 - Eta Ceti - Planet 8

Eta Ceti System Summary:

Planet 7 - Moon 2 - Noble World - class 3 tectonics - 2 commons & 8 gases
Planet 7 - Orange Gas Giant - Mass: 191.6 e.s.
Planet 7 - Moon 1 - Azure World - class 3 tectonics - 5 base metals
Planet 6 - Chlorine World - class 7 tectonics - 5 commons & 5 corrosives
Planet 1 - Urea World - class 3 weather - class 6 tectonics - 2 commons
Planet 2 - Iodine World - class 5 tectonics - 3 corrosives & 5 base metals
Planet 3 - Noble World - 2 commons & 11 gases
Planet 4 - Super-Dense World - class 3 weather - class 6 tectonics - 3 base metals
Planet 5 - Copper World - class 3 tectonics - 6 base metals
Planet 8 - Moon 1 - Acid World - class 3 tectonics - 15 commons
Planet 8 - Green Gas Giant - Mass: 613.5 e.s.

So far, nothing. No vault. No Spathi activity. No other alien activity. Nothing unusual on sensors. Nothing... Oh, wait! There's something coming in at high velocity!! No, never mind. Just another probe.

Monstro | Disney Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
Disney Wiki - Wikia-1508 × 1048-Search by image
Kingdom Hearts series · Monstro KHBBSFM

We will resume course for the next system, which just so happens to be Alpha Ceti, where I need to take care of... a personal matter. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Captain's Log - Nov 21, 2156 - Alpha Ceti - Status: Green

We have just arrived in the Alpha Ceti System, a giant white star with 9 planets:

Planet 1 - Violet Gas Giant (super-hot zone begins)
Planet 2 - Medium Cyan
Planet 3 - Medium Violet
Planet 4 - Small Violet
Planet 5 - Red Gas Giant
Planet 6 - White Gas Giant
Planet 7 - Medium Cyan
Planet 8 - Small Yellow
Planet 9 - Small White

We have set course for the 6th planet. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Captain Zelnick - “I’m sorry... Ove? What was it again?”

Crewman Jack - “Ov, sir. With an ‘Ahhh’v sound. Ees Russian.”

Captain Zelnick - “Of course. And I know I won’t get the first.” (squints while reading his name tag, which says: джексон-Dzhekson) “Dah-za-hek... uh, er...”

Crewman Jack - “Jackson, sir. But everyvone just calls me Jack.”

Captain Zelnick - “Right. So that explains the way you reported in, then.”

Crewman Jack - “Da, sir.”

Captain Zelnick - “Try it on me again.”

Crewman Jack - “Uh, ok... Crewman Jack Ov veporting as ordered, sir!”

Captain Zelnick - “Perfect... Let's go.”

(several minutes later, on the planet surface)

Captain Zelnick – “Jack Ov, are you sure these are the correct coordinates?”

Crewman Jack – “Ciptain! Zis is the garden spot of Ceti Alpha Six.”

Captain Zelnick – “I can barely see it.”

Crewman Jack – “Zerre’s nothing here. Zee tricorder must be broken!”

Captain Zelnick – “Jack Ov, over here. Those look like cargo carriers. Hey, give me a hand.”

(a few moments later, they emerge inside an empty cargo bay)

Captain Zelnick – “What the hell happened? If they crashed, where’s the rest of the ship?” (looking at a tank with moving sand) “What the hell is that?”

Crewman Jack (noticing a hanging belt buckle with writing on it, he begins reading) - “Botany Bay? Botany Bay! Oh no! Ve’ve got to get out of here now! Damn!”

Captain Zelnick – “But what about the checkerboard I just found over here? It’s really neat. It’s like they carved the pieces out of scraps of metal and junk so they could entertain themselves while stuck on this windy, desert planet.”

Crewman Jack – “Never mind! Hurry! Hurry!”

Captain Zelnick (while being drug by the arm by Jack) – “Jack Ov, what’s the matter with you? I’ll let you have first move if you want!... Jack Ov!”

Crewman Jack – “Come on! Hurry!”

(outside they are confronted by a group of hooded figures)

(meanwhile, on the Vindicator bridge)

Commander Lopéz (speaking into the communications mic) – “Starship Vindicator to Captain Zelnick... this is Commander Lopéz. Will you please respond, Captain? Captain Zelnick, respond please." (closes the comm. channel) "Hmm… let’s give them a little more time. Besides, what’s the worst that could be going on down there?”

(back in the cargo bay -- the leader, a masked figure, removes his facial coverings, revealing his true identity)

Crewman Jack – “Khan!”

Khan (talking to Zelnick) – “I don’t know you.” (redirects to Jack) “But you... I never forget a face, Mister... Jack Ov. Isn’t it? I never thought to see your face again.”

Crewman Jack – “Hmm… zat’s odd. I vasn’t even in zat episode.”

Captain Zelnick – “Jack Ov, who is this man?”

Crewman Jack – “A criminal, Ciptain... a product of late tventieth century genetic enhineering.”

Captain Zelnick – “Late twentieth century genetic engineering? What is he... a sheep? What do you want with us? Sir, I demand...”

Khan – “You are in a position to demand nothing, sir. I, on the other hand, am in a position to grant... nothing. What you see is all that remains of the ship’s company and crew of the Botany Bay, marooned here fifteen years ago by Captain James T. Kirk.”

Captain Zelnick – “Listen, you men and women, I was just going to briefly borrow your checkboard, I only wanted to…”

Khan – “Captain! Captain! Save your strength. These people have sworn to live and die at my command two hundred years before you were born. Do you mean he never told you the tale? To amuse your Captain? No? Never told you how the Enterprise picked up the Botany Bay, lost in space in the year nineteen hundred and ninety-six, myself and the ship’s company in cryogenic freeze?”

Captain Zelnick - “I’ve never even met William Shatner.”

Khan – “William? William! William… Never told you how William Shatner sent seventy of us into exile on this barren sand heap with only the contents of these cargo bays to sustain us?”

Captain Zelnick – “Are you kidding me? There’s a food replicator right over there!”

Khan (surprised)– “Oh… never noticed that before. You mean I haven’t needed to eat slug-spawning armadillos from hell this entire time?”

Crewman Jack – “You lie! On Ceti Alpha Five zerre vas life, a fair chance!”

Khan (enraged, violently shaking while pointing at the ground) – “THIS is Ceti Alpha Five!!!”

Captain Zelnick – “No, actually... we call it Alpha Ceti Five... dash B to be more specific. Yeah, you’re actually on the fifth planet’s second moon bub.

Khan – “Ceti Alpha Six… I mean, Alpha Ceti Six… exploded six months after we were left here. The shock shifted the orbit of this planet and everything was laid waste. William… Shatner never bothered to check on our progress.”

Captain Zelnick – “It’s a curiosity indeed. But I’m still thinking he can play the mother nature/act of God card in any courtroom.”

Crewman Jack – “Ciptain Kirk vas your host! You repaid hees hospitality by trying to steal hees ship and murder heem!”

Khan (pauses, then points at Jack) – “You didn’t expect to find me. You thought this was… Ceti Alpha Six! Why are you here?” (Khan lifts Jack from the ground by a convenient handle on the outside of his suit) “...Why are you here? Why?” (drops Jack back to his feet, then walks over to the nearby tank) “...Allow me introduce you to Ceti Alpha Five’s only remaining indigenous lifeform.” (uses a pair of large tongs to grab and thus reveal a terrifying, hissing armored slug-like creature) “What do you think? They’ve killed twenty of my people, including my beloved wife. Oh, not all at once... and not instantly, to be sure. You see, their young enter through the ears and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to suggestion. Later... as they grow... follows madness... And death!”

(Khan places a few of the slugs in their helmets)

Crewman Jack – “Khan, listen to me!”

Khan – “These are… pets, of course. Not quite domesticated.”

Crewman Jack – “Khan! Ciptain Kirk vas only doing hees duty!”

(Khan motions for his people to replace Zelnick’s and Jack’s helmets)

Crewman Jack – “No! NO!!!”

Captain Zelnick – “Uh, when I was a young child I had severe ear infections and eventually had to have cybernetic implants fused into my entire ear canals... Might give your little snails there a little difficulty.”

(Jack screams in pain for a while, then suddenly becomes quiet)

Khan (focusing on Jack) – “That’s better! Now tell me... Why you are here?... And tell me, where I may find… William Shatner.”

Crewman Jack – “Vell, since you accidentally put two slugs in my helmet, zey have both eaten zeirr vay through my ear drums and I can’t hear a single vord you’re saying!”

Captain Zelnick – “I bet he’s probably somewhere on a beach, signing autographs and doing a few commercials on the side. Man! These slug thingies are kind of chewy… I wonder how they would taste fried in butter!”

Ref: Dialogue taken and adapted from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Paramount Pictures.
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:39 am

I don't quite get why they're slipping back and forth between Shatner and Kirk.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Death 999 wrote:I don't quite get why they're slipping back and forth between Shatner and Kirk.
Copy that. Now that I think about it, that has to be some SNL influence going on there by going out of my way to keep it somewhat wacky and off-kilter to make sure it's obviously a spoof that never takes itself too seriously, plus I wanted to add a good measure of preventative blatant plagiarism since I wanted to use most of the scene, but I suppose I could've stayed with Shats after his first mentioning, but having "Checkov" mention William Shatner being Khan's host and doing his duty seemed weird to me -– it seemed fine to have him remain in character but keep Zelnick a “real” person which leaves Khan somewhere in the middle... but of course in the end the whole thing was more of the way my flow of thought occurred while attempting at some cheap comic relief. I also omitted the bit about being a prince two hundred years ago. Didn't seem to fit well. I also forgot to provide proper references; I should probably take care of that before Paramount shows up and shuts me down! ;)

EDIT: References done!
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Captain's Log - Nov 18, 2156 - Eta Gruis - Status: Green

Whew! That was a close one! Thank goodness for teleporters! We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Eta Gruis System, an orange dwarf star with 3 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Green
Planet 2 - Orange Gas Giant
Planet 3 - Blue Gas Giant

We've been back here in Spathi space for quite some time and we still have not detected any Spathi activity yet. This is not looking good... and I'm beginning to get worried. Speaking of which, I also keep getting transmissions from the StarRunner, urging us to turn around and get out of here, but no, we shall of course press on; Captain Fwiffo will have to get over himself and his paranoid delusions.

We didn't get much of a chance to explore this region of space before, which includes Vitalis, Squidi and the one we're in now: the Grus Constellation, which comes from the Latin word for “crane”, but it looks like we'll only be cherry-picking a few stars here and there as we continue our mission.

We have set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Nov 21, 2156 - Eta Gruis - Planet 3 - Moon 3

Eta Gruis System Summary:

Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Dust World - class 4 tectonics - 3 base metals
Planet 2 - Orange Gas Giant - Mass: 340.6 e.s.
Planet 1 - Acid World - class 4 tectonics - 15 common minerals
Planet 3 - Moon 1 - Pellucid World - class 3 tectonics - 1 exotic mineral (10 units of Tzo Crystals)
Planet 3 - Blue Gas Giant - Mass: 7.79 e.s.
Planet 3 - Moon 2 - Infrared World - 2 base metals
Planet 3 - Moon 3 - Radioactive World - 12 radioactives

Not much of anything here. Now that we've made it out this far, we should switch our focus for a moment and set our sights on Epsilon Gruis and travelling to Spathiwa and find out what's going on with the Spathi. And for goodness sakes, the crew needs to stop taking advantage of poor Crewman Ov. Everybody seems to think that it's okay to have him do all their menial tasks since he's become very pliable at this point. I must admit though, he's actually a pretty good cook!

We will set course for Epsilon Gruis. Captain out.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 am

Considering your sig, I guess I should've expected a Star Trek 2 reference sooner or later. Good one! :D

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Tormuse wrote:Considering your sig, I guess I should've expected a Star Trek 2 reference sooner or later. Good one! :D
It was inevitable for sure. I noticed the Ceti constellation a while back and knew I'd have to do some kind of fun story! :) Plus, that's still one of my all-time favorite scenes ever!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Captain's Log - Nov 21, 2156 - Epsilon Gruis - Code: Purple

We are back here again in the Epsilon Gruis System, but there doesn't seem to be any Spathi around... only an inquisitive Probe that seems to be checking out Spathiwa. I think we'll do the same, after we take out the space trash, that is.

We have set course for Spathiwa. We are going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Nov 22, 2156 - Epsilon Gruis - Spathiwa

We were on our way towards the Spathi homeworld, and our sensors picked up an additional Probe in closer orbit than the previous one, but what our sensors detected next would at the very least explain the Probes' curiosity, considering our planetary approach short-range sensors are suddenly detecting a slave shield around Spathiwa! Oh no! This is terrible!

I even had to order an immediate silence of the communications channel from the Eluder pair that were humming by the forward section of our flagship, desperately trying to get our attention! Yes, Fwiffo! We can see it!

Well, and as you can see, it looks like we're too late. The Ur-Quan must've somehow figured out what they were up to and decided to slave shield the poor Spathi. I feel so awful! After all, it was because of our intervention and seeking the aide of the Spathi High Council and ridding them of the Evil Ones (with heightened voice, of course) that persuaded them to join up with us in the first place.

But I guess there could be other reasons the Ur-Quan decided to slave shield them, you know... like conveniently not obeying something the Ur-Quan wanted them to do, or perhaps not do, like sounding the red alert signal for stupid reasons, or acting scared all of the time and fearful of travelling to another star system, or perhaps repeatedly calling up their fleet captain in the middle of the night and complaining that they're having trouble sleeping because there must be strange, miniature Ultimate Evil monsters hiding in their closet and repeatedly requesting would we please replicate and send over some colorful, medium-sized...oh never mind, that's something else entirely!

Where was I? Oh yeah! So there's a chance the Ur-Quan were unaware of our alliance and maybe simply decided to do it because of the Spathi's sudden relocation... which would still make it our fault. Darn. Well, there's nothing we can do about it now, so I guess we'll have to purge a few probes and be on our way.

We will set course for Delta Gruis. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Nov 22, 2156 - Epsilon Gruis - Planet 1 - Moon 1

Before leaving the system, I decided to go ahead and stop by the moon that was the previous homeworld of the Spathi. I was merely going on a hunch, plus I wanted to see if maybe a few of the Spathi elders from the Safe Ones or even some Spathi remnant may still be present on the moon, even though I had already assumed the Ur-Quan would've done a thorough search of the system to find and capture (or destroy, I suppose) any Spathi that remained behind.

But to my surprise and delight, we entered orbit and our sensors are picking up something on energy readings! Wow! What the heck could it be?

We will dispatch a Lander to the surface and find out! Zelnick out.