About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:15 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental:
Mission Briefing Summary
Now that crew transfers and reassignments are almost complete, we can now focus on preparations for embarking on our next mission, and here is an overview of what we’ve explored and circled areas of interest: (sorry if it's a bit blurry)

Our first step will be to investigate what's going on with the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm in the Procyon System. From the data we've already collected, we know that they are slave-shielded together on the surface of their world, focusing their efforts on creating a new, hybrid race by somehow melding together in some kind of crystal/robotic metamorphosis. I wonder what they'll call their new race...maybe the Chenmhrm? Or Mmrnjesu? There's no telling. Well, it doesn't really matter now since we won't be able to communicate with them on the surface as of yet (that is, not until we obtain a HyperWave Caster), but perhaps we can learn some valuable information from any of the personnel stationed on the orbital platform, assuming of course there is one present the same as there is around both Earth and Gaia. However, I am still fearful of exploring Ilwrath territory at any length, and there will likely be some of their Avengers stationed to guard the Procyon Starbase, so this part of the mission will have to be done with haste and precision.

We should still have ample enough time to intercept the Pkunk before they’re able to reach their Yehat brethren and hopefully we can talk some sense into them and prevent them from making a potentially disastrous mistake! From there we can head into the Serpentis Cluster and make contact with the Yehat and see what we can learn from them. I understand they have become Hierarchy battle thralls, but I'd be willing to wager that they should be much easier to persuade than the Spathi to join our cause and fight against the Ur-Quan. We'll also take this opportunity to thoroughly explore Zeta Sextantis and find the strange world that Captain Tanaka saw on his way home to Delta Gorno.

Speaking of Tanaka, in order to convince the Syreen to help us, we need to investigate anything and everything in Mycon space (which won't be easy), including venturing out to Beta Brahe and discover what Captain Tanaka witnessed that rendered him disoriented and temporarily blinded by an incredibly powerful blast of light! Since we'll be out so very far already, we may as well pay the Druuge a visit and check out the incredibly low prices the Melnorme warned us about, rather the hidden fees and tariffs! We'll see if they're perhaps interested in purchasing a planetary lander or two.

There are other avenues of interest as well, and we may not be able to address all or any of the following, such as forming an alliance with the Zoq-Fot-Pik in Alpha Tucanae and see what we can learn from their leaders about the Ur-Quan conflict as well as making contact with the nearby Umgah and see what we can learn from them, and hopefully keep the bloodshed down to a minimum if the Umgah become hostile. Or in their case would it be called "slimeshed" instead of "bloodshed"? Anyway, I’d also like to investigate the Dimensional Portal in alleged Arilou space as well as the shipwrecked Ur-Quan Dreadnought in Alpha Pavonis. And for crying out loud, we need to make it to Beta Corvi and find a solution to our Probe infestation problem! Yikes!

Main Mission Objectives:

Investigate Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm in Procyon - Find a solution for the Pkunk migrating towards Yehat space, currently near Gorno Constellation - Make peaceful contact with Yehat in Serpentis Cluster and hopefully gain their support - Investigate strange world in Zeta Sextantis - Investigate Mycon in Beta Brahe and find a link between the Mycon and the destruction of Syra – Make peaceful contact with the Druuge in Zeta Persei, and perhaps do some trading.

Other Objectives:

Make alliance with ZFP in Alpha Tucanae – Make contact with Umgah in Orionis Constellation - Investigate Dimensional Portal somewhere between Chandrasekhar, Columbae and Circini Stars – Possibly make contact with the ArilouLaleelay in or near Columbae stars – Investigate Shipwrecked Dreadnought in Alpha Pavonis – Find solution for Probes with Slylandro in Beta Corvi.

We have just cleared docking bay doors and we can now set course for Procyon. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:12 pm

It occurs to me... you do have a copy of the map that came with the game, right? I don't see the circles that are visible on that map, on your map.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Death 999 wrote:It occurs to me... you do have a copy of the map that came with the game, right? I don't see the circles that are visible on that map, on your map.
Well, I have a saved copy of this one:

I found it quite useful indeed when I needed to figure out the location of the lifeform that Admiral ZEX wants, as it seems to me the only way to solve that particular mystery is with the original map since it contains the constellation pictures, but my assumption of the beast’s whereabouts is still unconfirmed in my game progress... but I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten it right.

However, that map didn’t print out well with the black background, so I mostly refer to my fold-out, but I will occasionally take a quick glance of the original on my desktop. I’ve also considered lightly penciling in the spheres of influence on my print-out… I’ve just never gotten around to it, but I have a pretty general idea of where most everybody resides.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 pm

I see. The map you drew doesn't really convey the way one of your hints lines up to those circles, so I wonder if you're missing that connection.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Death 999 wrote:I see. The map you drew doesn't really convey the way one of your hints lines up to those circles, so I wonder if you're missing that connection.
Are you referring to what I circled down-right of Mycon territory? Before I went to Betelgeuse, I started doing some reading up on the Syreen again to make sure there wasn’t anything I had overlooked. I noticed in my copy of the manual there’s mention of the constellation where the planet Syrea was located, that being Arrianni, but the closest I could see on the starmap was Arrianne. Nevertheless, it being so close to Mycon territory and only one letter off that I felt it was significant enough to remind myself to add to my explorations if I was ever in the vicinity, but perhaps it’s a dead end afterall.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Upon review, I realized that there is no circle for the race I'm thinking of on the original map. HAHAHAHA. Carry on.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am

Death 999 wrote:Upon review, I realized that there is no circle for the race I'm thinking of on the original map. HAHAHAHA. Carry on.
Very well, then perhaps it's NOT a dead-end street after all!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:04 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jun 3, 2156 - Near Procyon - Red Alert

We were well on our way to Procyon, about a week out of Starport, and the small, orange star was just coming into view as we passed by Delta Volantis, but as we continued our approach, InterStellar Long-Range Sensors suddenly detected a blip emerging from the southern edge of the system, standing in our way. We were still quite a ways out, so I ordered the helm to come to a complete stop. Slowly, the black circle began creeping towards us, crawling at a snail's pace, and I spoke audibly enough to be heard by the bridge crew as I said sarcastically, "Great! This must be the Ilwrath greeting party."

We went to Red Alert status and everybody began scrambling for battle stations, but I felt we could easily outrun their plodding ships, so I requested the helm to see if we could maneuver the Vindicator around the threat and onward to Procyon. No sooner than we had activated full thrusters, another bogey was appearing towards the direction we were heading, and another from behind us. The helm swung the ship around hard left and evaded all of the sluggish vessels, but a fourth had emerged further coreward and came hurling into view at tremendous speed -- Oh No! This was definitely NOT the time for a damn Probe encounter!

But it was too late. The Probe was already within range and our HyperSpace bubble had been burst as we dropped into TrueSpace. I looked over to my Communications Officer and gave a "slash throat" gesture, signaling that we would not be opening discussions at this juncture, and then I ordered Tactical to destroy the ill-timed nuisance. Unfortunately, our brief delay gave enough time for the other bogeys to come within range of our vessel, not allowing us to engage the HyperDrive engines. Suddenly there came from out of the blackness of space, three vessels uncloaking one-by-one on the main viewer, and just as it was when this crazy roller coaster ride had first begun and we'd given Commander Hayes some radioactives from Mercury to keep the Starbase afloat, our viewscreen was once again filled by the presence of those sadistically spiritual spiders... the Ilwrath!!

Their leader sat behind what looked to be a giant ship's wheel with glistening webbing attached to aide in steering, while each of the tips of its long, jointed outstretched legs touched almost every curve of the wheel's circumference. The complete underside of its red exoskeleton could be plainly seen as it towered, rearing back in a manner that seemed to deliberately show its huge, scary and disgusting mandibles as it spoke, while four of its beady little eyes peered over the top of its head. Yes, if it’s not been made clear enough, I've decided to give them the gender designation of "it," since I consider it repugnant to even think of any of them as deserving the distinction in my eyes. For the time being, knowing some history of their predisposition, they're just another bug to be squished in my opinion.

Even a brief conversation with the heinous and evil Ilwrath is not for the light-hearted; they are so deeply devoted to their twin gods Dogar and Kazon that they will not listen to any type of diplomatic reasoning whatsoever, but they are foremost completely obsessed with the idea of inflicting pain, and the sudden presence of Humans in their midst sent them into higher levels of unspeakable notions as they expressed their desires and wonderment of how many of our limbs and appendages they could remove before we stopped making noise! Talk about yikes! Yikes indeed! I commanded them to state their intentions, and you'll never guess what they are planning for us... our demise of course.

I ordered one of the Orz to engage the Ilwrath in battle, but as soon as it began deploying Space Marines, they had nowhere to go except back into the ship. The Nemesis coordinated the likely position of whereabouts of the Avenger ship and began firing the Howitzer Cannon. Once it was aligned properly, it started inflicting considerable damage, but an asteroid came out of nowhere and hit the aft section of the Orz ship -- its shields of course prevented the dumb rock from causing any damage, but it halted the Nemesis just enough to allow the Ilwrath to come within firing distance of its Hellfire Spout, which uncloaked and unleashed a fury of flames, severely damaging the Orz vessel before it had a chance to retreat right away. Once it managed to disengage and put some distance between itself and the re-cloaked attacker, it activated the emergency warp-out.

The Lexington, on the other hand, wasn't so fortunate. After it successfully took down the Avenger that had assaulted the Orz, it had greater difficulty pinpointing the exact location and angle of fire for the second one, so it was forced to fly away from the unseen foe, while firing Nuclear Missiles over and over in the hopes they would hit something. Not too long afterwards, the Cruiser came within the gravity well of a nearby planet, and the Ilwrath vessel took advantage of the situation as the Lexington tried in vain to re-establish momentum away from the gravity pull, and the Avenger uncloaked within meters of the Earth ship and scorched its hull repeatedly until it was nothing but a twisted piece of melted metal.

Enraged, I sent in the Vindicator and made quick work of the second ship, which had taken much damage already from a couple of lucky nukes and a last ditch attack with the PDL from the deceased Lexington and her valiant crew. The third ship warped in at medium range with the Vindicator's nose pointing right at them. The Hellbore Cannons fired several shots, but the tracking device failed and the projectiles missed -- their cloak was too quick! We veered off, turning back around after reaching medium-slow speed, and proceeded to fire a few more volleys at our elusive enemy. Finally, after fooling the Ilwrath into thinking we were spreading the blasts one direction and fired another at a different angle, some of the shots hit their target and the last Avenger was destroyed!

But we weren't out of the woods yet. In fact, we were actually just entering the forest...a forest filled with nasty spiders!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:45 pm

*********WARNING: The following has material that may be unsuitable for some members of our audience. *********
******** Viewer discretion is advised. ***********
Captain's Log (cont.) - Jun 3, 2156 - Near Procyon - Red Alert

I define the word “unluckiest” as any crewman who made it to one of the Lexington’s escape pods and was subsequently picked up by an Ilwrath Avenger. I don’t even want to think about what would be happening over there on one of their ships. Better to die in the vacuum of space than perish slowly in their chambers of horror.

We were still unable to escape, the Ilwrath were coming from all over and from every direction. All of a sudden it became clear we were going to have to fight our way out. I knew all along it was ever hopeless to try to reason with them, but I wanted to see if there was any pertinent information they would happen to drop in our lap, the same way they did when they mentioned hunting the Pkunk in the Giclas Constellation during our first encounter with the uncloaked Avenger.

Before attacking our fleet, the Ilwrath were always inclined to describe the manner in which the brutal torture would commence, given the opportunity, and they seem to have a deep understanding of human physiology, if only from the standpoint of how to cause pain, misery and suffering. They said enough to give me nightmares for months... or possibly even years! Their description of their vile and disgusting study of our anatomy made me sick to my stomach as they detailed peeling back our layers and exploring underneath for their own gratification and twisted amusement. Yikes!3 (Yikes cubed)

They added how they spread a paste of their stillborn larva as an anointing before slowly consuming our flesh as we writhe in agony on their sick altar lavishly displayed before their gods. They use various methods of awful and despicable torture, ranging from mangling and plucking parts of our bodies, such as gouging out our eyes or removing limbs one-by-one, dismembering us until there's only a leaking torso, or sometimes, as previously mentioned, eating us alive, little by little until we're dead, or violently shaking our body until it’s ripped apart, spilling out the precious life-blood to the delight of the wicked blood-suckers, a term of which unfortunately may need to be taken literally.

The longer a human can stay alive, wishing they were dead from the unbearable pain, the more an Ilwrath is satisfied; they seem to take great care in their deplorable methods, ensuring that they can do the most damage and causing the most trauma and intense pain, while making sure to not prematurely end the life that will most assuredly be terminated, but not until the Ilwrath gods wish it.

They'll sometimes perform cruel, false surgeries to remove our organs, several at a time, with the main exception being unconsciousness or anesthesia for the patient during the demented disembowelment. I'm sure there's a vast number of other insidious monstrosities they could prescribe, such as burning our skin with flames or heated metals, dumping corrosive acids on us, or injecting them into our blood stream, or even skinning us alive; plus there's also drowning, impaling, crushing, the aforementioned evisceration, including castration, dropping us to our deaths, dropping heavy objects on us or hurling fast projectiles at us, setting off small explosives planted on or inside us, or forcing us to consume poisons or burning hot liquids. Sadly, needless to say, the list goes on and on. Why is there so much evilness in our galaxy? It must be stopped!

In all actuality it made me realize how fragile we humans really are, and how our range of sensory perception is not always a good thing… especially in the hands of an evil, malicious monster. I tremble at the very thought of anybody being the object of such torment and painful affliction, and I shudder inside while thinking how I know fully well that the Ilwrath would not limit these cruel and unspeakable acts to us men, but given the chance they would inflict these barbaric atrocities on our women and children as well.

I find myself so deeply distressed by contemplating and learning about the Ilwrath’s culture, customs, religion and overall lifestyle, that I have become visibly shaken, and I'm now feeling quite ill from it, and I very well may vomit soon just from all of the despair and desolation going on deep inside me. In fact, if I’m being totally honest, I take exception to the very existence of the entire Ilwrath race! They are an abomination from Hell! If they were one day extinguished (or perhaps should I rather say exterminated?) I wouldn’t shed a single tear.

But I suppose every dark cloud has a silver lining. Just think, what if the Ur-Quan had never invaded? Looking back at recent human history, and considering the Ilwrath were right in our backyard, there’s a good chance things would’ve unfolded disturbingly different, as demonstrated by this hypothetical timeline:

"Sometime in the year 2112, the Ilwrath discover humans, who are still in pre-interstellar flight, so the Ilwrath attack Earth. The Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm, distraught by the invasion, were further angered when the Ilwrath quickly conquered Earth, followed by misery and anguish for all humanity. By 2113, the Ilwrath have turned Earth into one, big altar were each member of the human race fearfully awaits their turn to be tortured and slaughtered for the Ilwrath’s twin gods."

Well, on second thought, maybe the crystals and robots would’ve come to our rescue, but they didn’t do much early on when the Ur-Quan invaded the Umgah, Ilwrath and Spathi... One can only hope they were too busy preparing their own defenses.

However, our troubles in battle were just beginning, we were able to take care of the next two waves of Ilwrath, since it was only a pair of Avengers followed by a single ship, but the next encounter thereafter was a contingent of five ships, so we sent in the Spathi ship StarGazer, which, after a very long tussle, destroyed the first ship, but had to engage its emergency warp-out after colliding with a planet while battling the second ship.

The Vindicator sprang into action and made short work of the next two ships, but it fell into a similar gravity well dilemma the same as the Lexington did, and our vessel’s hull was torched and moderately damaged on a few instances, and our casualty rate has regrettably continued to rise. After finally destroying the remainder of Ilwrath ships, we saw a small opening amongst the flurry of Avengers descending upon our position, which coincidentally was in the direction of Procyon, and so we have engaged HyperDrive thrusters and are currently very close to entering the outer edge of the solar system.

We shall maintain course and speed for Procyon. Captain out.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Tip: Find the planet. Then, move only due north or south at a known offset from it.