About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:03 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - May 14, 2156 - Alpha Illuminati - Status: Green

We have just arrived on the outer edge of the Alpha Illuminati System, which fits the Melnorme perfectly, since “illuminati” derived from the idea of people claiming to possess special enlightenment or knowledge of something, not to mention pulling the strings of control behind the scenes, which the Melnorme’s speculated agenda seems to elude towards, and it's even something they admit as a possibility -- plus there’s the whole “single eye” thing going on. Alpha Illuminati is also the only other red supergiant star in this region besides Alpha Centauri, and just like the aforementioned star system, this one has many planets, 7 in total, and they all are in the hot zone:

Planet 1 - Small Orange
Planet 2 - Medium Blue
Planet 3 - Small Purple
Planet 4 - Small Orange
Planet 5 - Medium Red
Planet 6 - Medium Red
Planet 7 - Small Purple

On our way departing out of Epsilon Gruis, we encountered some Spathi that were already completely aware of our alliance and greeted us accordingly, so we stopped to have a friendly chat. When we asked what was new, they spoke of the same strange portal appearing around the Chandrasekhar Constellation, but they described it as a new star appearing out of nowhere, but they also mentioned it being near the Circini Cluster instead of the Columbae Stars like the Melnorme had disclosed to us.

However, just like the Melnorme, they said it appeared on the 17th day and they hope it comes back. The Melnorme say it always indeed does come back, on the same day every month and stays open for a short while (the Spathi divulged specifically 3 days) -- but how does it account for months with different numbers of days?... or leap year? After our conversation, I took a look at the starmap and was able to triangulate its position to help pinpoint the exact location of its opening for when we make it out there to investigate this phenomenon.

A 2nd encounter occurred shortly after we had reached HyperDrive, and I was just about to signal a red alert, but our Science Officer determined that it was more Spathi coming to greet us. This particular ship seemed to be flying towards us almost as fast as a Slylandro Probe, but after they hailed us, I began to understand their sense of urgency: One of their friends has been given the opportunity to serve as a starship captain aboard an Eluder (if we so choose to build one) and they wanted to know if we had met them yet and also to remind them if and when we see them that they still owed them money!

We asked them if they would be willing to share any minerals with us, to which they replied that their waste recycling systems were at our disposal! Yuck! They also talked about a space adventure game that helped alleviate deep space boredom, and it actually sounds like an interesting game. Hmmm... If only I could find a game like that, and it sure would help pass the time as we fly through space; I know just what I'd do too...I'd make maps, and keep my own records, and write down important places and events as well as...never mind, I've really got no time for such childhood fantasy! There's simply too much at stake to be concerned with games!

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to get a fix on the Melnorme's position within this solar system, so they must be too close to one of the planets, which has a tendency to mask a ship's signature from our IPLRS. They could be anywhere, and our vessel is running on fumes! Yikes!

We shall begin searching for the Melnorme Trader, and if we have to, we will check every planet in this system... which we'll probably end up doing anyway! Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Captain's Log - May 15, 2156 - Alpha Illuminati - Near Planet 3

After searching around for a few days, we discovered that the Trader ship was orbiting the 3rd planet, so I activated the time portal and plotted an exploration course that would work our way out from there -- that way we wouldn't have to be concerned with the Melnorme drifting away from that location and elude us if we started elsewhere: 3-1-2-4-5-6-7.

We established communications with the Melnorme and sold them all of our bio-data for a total of 2014 Credits! We not only filled out tanks but also purchased all of the information the Melnorme had left to sell, which included the rest of the information on other races as well as all historical information, and we still have 470 Credits leftover!

We've already dealt with some of the Melnorme's insights, including the information given about the Androsynth and their experimentation with IDF, and their disappearance coinciding with the arrival of the Orz. We were also aware that the Shofixti race killed themselves by using a huge bomb in their sun, which destroyed many (hundreds according to the Melnorme) Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts. Finally, there was of course the information about the dangerous lifeforms on Spathiwa, which we just recently addressed.

There was much other content to consider, and much of it may come into play in the near foreseeable future, and it included the plan of the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm to merge themselves together to create a new hybrid race, which will take a long time to accomplish, and we'll need a hyperwave broadcasting system to communicate with them, and we've recently become aware of the Umgah 'Caster that the Spathi currently possess that could aide in these matters, but I have no idea how to obtain it from them.

We still need to seek out the Arilou, who have been seen around Columbae and seem to have a secret agenda as it pertains to the fate of Earth and humans, along with the disclosure of the Slylandro, who are responsible for the Probe acting hostile that the Melnorme sold them, who deny any responsibility whatsoever due to a waiver agreement.

There is also the troubling matter concerning the Yehat in Gamma Serpentis, who's queen made a sudden change of allegiance and joined the Hierarchy; something of which the Spathi didn't mention, and I doubt they were aware of the Yehat becoming battle thralls. Ugh! How shameful it is that the Yehat would stoop so low after the Shofixti sacrificed so much. We also allowed the Melnorme to continue to withdraw many a credit and listen once again to the long, drawn out story telling of the history of the Sentient Milieu, the two Ur-Quans, the Dnyarri, and the ritual battle going on around the Crateris Constellation.

The information that seems to me to be the most worthwhile transmission worth keeping for later use is everything the Melnorme attested to and provided about the Mycon, including their desire to continue to quickly expand their sphere of influence, and especially their colonization methods using Deep Children which parallels precisely what happened on Syra. However, even with the recorded testimony from the Melnorme pointing directly to the Mycon's dastardly deeds, the Syreen will remain unwilling to help us unless we provide solid evidence that undeniably links the Mycon with the destruction of the former Syreen home planet. What that could be...is still uncertain. Plus I'm still curious to know what it was that Captain Tanaka witnessed seeing in Beta Brahe that flashed like a newborn sun. In either case, whatever it is we're looking for, we will likely have to venture into hostile Mycon space to find our answers; something I'm not exactly looking forward to doing.

We continued to explore this system using the exploration path, and used the time portal afterwards, and here is the system summary:

Planet 3 - Chondrite World - 310° C - class 5 tectonics - 3 common minerals
Planet 1 - Metal World - 1686° C - class 7 weather - class 3 tectonics - 2 corrosives, 16 base metals, 3 precious metals & 4 radioactives
Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Infrared World - 1535° C - class 7 weather - class 4 tectonics - 4 base metals
Planet 2 - Hydrocarbon World - 784° C - class 3 weather - 8 common minerals & 3 base metals
Planet 4 - Metal World - 1090° C - class 7 weather - class 4 tectonics - 3 corrosives & 10 base metals
Planet 5 - Magma World - 522° C - class 3 weather - class 8 tectonics - 8 base metals
Planet 6 - Magma World - 383° C - class 8 tectonics - 4 base metals - 13 biological lifeforms*
Planet 7 - Pellucid World - 450° C - Nothing

*6 fungal squids and 7 pink worms, a new lifeform that slinked around on its belly with 2 huge eyes looking about, and they took only 2 hits to stun and were worth were worth 4 bio-data each, for a total of 64 units of bio-data, including the krakens.

We will set course for Delta Illuminati. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:20 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jul 8, 2156 - Beta Herculis - Planet 3 - Yellow Alert

We have spent the last two months exploring the Spathi’s "southern" territory, starting with Alpha Illuminati and working our way clockwise from there to any of the nearby star systems that we hadn’t explored yet, ending with Beta Herculis, since the Spathi High Council had made mention of the Mmrnmhrm’s interest in establishing colonies in that system. We gathered much planetary data, including locations of several worlds that have a high density of mineral deposits or biological lifeforms that we can return back to if we’re ever this region of space again.

A few of the systems had Spathi patrols flying about (especially Delta Illuminati, which had well over a dozen or so) and they’d sometimes approach and speak with us for a short while, but I began to wonder if Tuffa-Yuf hit up every Spathi in the fleet for cash before departing to Sol! While exploring Epsilon Illuminati, after talking with another Spathi “collection agency,” we encountered and destroyed a few Probes. They seem to be travelling in pairs more often these days.

In the back of my mind, I was secretly hoping that one of these systems would reveal something of special interest, like for example, an “Umgah 'Caster research facility” or even some random artifact or anything like that, but unfortunately, nothing ever came up on energy readings during our sensor sweeps of each planet; moons and gas planets included.

When we finally made it to Beta Herculis, I was particularly optimistic, since the Safe Ones had mentioned the Mmrnmhrm wanting to colonize a world there, and I wonder which planet they had their sights on, but the only thing we were able to find was two more Slylandro Probes, which had both been orbiting the gas giant. We were able to slip past the pair without incident -- also, it being the last stop on our long journey, we should be able to activate the time portal before those Probes arrive!

Here is the planetary data we gathered from each system:
Delta Illuminati System (yellow giant star)
Planet 4 - Azure World – 540° C - class 5 weather & tectonics - 6 base metals
Planet 3 - Cimmerian World - 252° C - class 4 tectonics - 6 common minerals
Planet 2 - Moon 3 - Azure World - 859° C - class 5 weather - class 4 tectonics - 2 base metals
Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Pellucid World - 561° C - class 3 weather & tectonics - 1 exotic mineral (13 Tzo Crystals)
Planet 2 - Purple Gas Giant
Planet 2 - Moon 2 - Selenic World - 610° C - class 3 weather & tectonics - 4 base metals
Planet 2 - Moon 4 - Metal World - 1525° C - class 7 weather - class 5 tectonics - 1 corrosive, 7 base metals & 1 precious metal
Planet 1 - Crimson World - 1711° C - class 8 weather - class 3 tectonics - 4 base metals
Planet 5 - Cyan Gas Giant
Planet 5 - Moon 1 - Treasure World - 101° C - 5 precious metals - 3 biological lifeforms1

1 We found 3 bouncy balls on the surface.
Beta Illuminati System (orange dwarf star)
Planet 1 - Green World - class 3 weather & tectonics - 4 rare earth elements
Planet 2 - Moon 3 - Infrared World - class 3 weather - class 4 tectonics - 2 base metals
Planet 2 - Moon 2 - Purple World - class 3 tectonics - 5 base metals
Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Acid World - class 3 tectonics - 13 common minerals
Planet 2 - Blue Gas Giant
Gamma Illuminati System (blue dwarf star)
Planet 8 - Primordial World - class 7 tectonics - 9 common minerals & 2 base metals
Planet 7 - Organic World - class 5 tectonics - 9 common minerals
Planet 9 - Moon 1 - Lanthanide World - class 5 tectonics - 16 rare earth elements
Planet 9 - Xenolithic World - class 5 tectonics - 9 base metals
Planet 5 - Lanthanide World - class 6 tectonics - 7 rare earth elements
Planet 4 - Moon 1 - Yttric World - class 4 tectonics - 2 base metals & 7 lanthanides
Planet 4 - Gas Giant
Planet 6 - Fluorescent World - class 3 tectonics - 2 base metals, 3 noble gases & 6 radioactives - 10 biological lifeforms1
Planet 2 - Halide World - class 3 tectonics - 2 corrosives & 2 radioactives - 10 biological lifeforms2
Planet 1 - Treasure World - class 4 weather - 7 precious metals
Planet 3 - Acid World - 9 common minerals

1 We found 3 fungal squids and 7 celery stalks for 90 units of bio-data.
2 We found 10 elfish cyclopes for 10 units of bio-data.
Epsilon Illuminati System (green dwarf star)
Planet 4 - Copper world - 11 base metals
Planet 2 - Yellow Gas Giant (no moons)
Planet 1 - Purple World - 3 base metals
Planet 3 - Cyanic World - Nothing
Zeta Illuminati System (green dwarf star)
Planet 8 - Pellucid World - Nothing
Planet 5 - Organic World - class 4 tectonics - 4 common minerals
Planet 4 - Chondrite World - class 5 tectonics - 1 common mineral
Planet 3 - Ultramarine World - class 3 weather - 3 base metals & 4 lanthanides - 10 biological lifeforms1
Planet 3 - Moon 1 - class 5 tectonics - 4 base metals
Planet 3 - Green Gas Giant
Planet 1 - Quasi-Degenerate World - class 4 tectonics - No Degenerate Matter
Planet 2 - Organic World - class 5 tectonics - 13 common minerals
Planet 6 - Redux World - 17 corrosives & 3 base metals
Planet 9 - Alkali World - class 4 tectonics - 8 base metals

1 We found 10 clapping trees worth 50 units of bio-data.
Eta Illuminati System (orange dwarf star)
Planet 7 - Infrared World - class 4 tectonics - 2 base metals
Planet 8 - Halide World - 3 corrosives & 3 radioactives
Planet 6 - Moon 3 - Selenic World - class 3 tectonics - 5 base metals
Planet 6 - Moon 2 - Ultramarine World - 3 base metals, 2 noble gases & 4 lanthanides - 7 biological lifeforms1
Planet 6 - Orange Gas Giant
Planet 6 - Moon 1 - Carbide World - class 4 tectonics - 6 common minerals
Planet 6 - Moon 4 - Selenic World - class 3 tectonics - 3 base metals
Planet 5 - Halide World - 8 corrosives & 1 radioactive
Planet 3 - Selenic World - 6 base metals
Planet 4 - Pellucid World - 1 exotic mineral (9 Tzo Crystals)
Planet 1 - Moon 3 - Dust World - 3 base metals
Planet 1 - Moon 2 - Selenic World - 4 base metals
Planet 1 - Moon 1 - Crimson World - class 3 weather - 5 base metals - 7 biological lifeforms2
Planet 1 - Violet Gas Giant
Planet 2 - Moon 2 - Noble World - class 3 tectonics - 14 noble gases
Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Crimson World - class 3 weather - 3 corrosives & 6 base metals
Planet 2 - Green Gas Giant
Planet 2 - Moon 3 - Radioactive World - 17 radioactives! (>175 units!)

1 We found 6 large blue slugs and 1 crawling flower worth 12 units of bio-data.
2 We found 4 fungal squids and 3 more large blue slugs worth 31 units of bio-data.
Theta Illuminati System (orange dwarf star)
Planet 4 - Halide World - class 3 tectonics - 9 corrosives & 4 radioactives
Planet 5 - Halide World - 5 corrosives
Planet 6 - Chondrite World - class 7 tectonics - 1 common mineral
Planet 1 - Moon 3 - Radioactive World - 7 radioactives
Planet 1 - Purple Gas Giant
Planet 1 - Moon 1 - Crimson World - class 3 weather - 7 base metals
Planet 1 - Moon 2 - Cimmerian World - class 4 tectonics - 2 common minerals
Planet 2 - Noble World - 10 noble gases
Planet 3 - Moon 1 - Cimmerian World - class 3 tectonics - 6 common minerals
Planet 3 - Iodine World - class 4 tectonics - 2 corrosives & 3 base metals
Beta Herculis System (blue dwarf star)
Planet 2 - Alkali World - class 4 tectonics - 6 base metals
Planet 1 - Selenic World - class 4 weather - class 3 tectonics - 1 base metal
Planet 3 - Blue Gas Giant

We shall return to May 15th upon activating the time portal to put us back in Alpha Illuminati when we had just finished purchasing fuel and information from the Melnorme…about 53 days ago!!

Then, we will set course for Starbase. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:36 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Personal Log – May 20, 2156 – Near Saurus Constellation (en route to Starbase)

During the long duration of exploration through various systems in Spathi territory, I began to notice widespread levels of apathy occurring amongst the crew. In hindsight, perhaps it wasn’t in my best interest to clue in my bridge crew of my idea to only gather planetary data from these surveys and implement the time portal whereupon completion. This also included a necessary, relaxed approach to time portal usage; something of which the entire crew reacted to in their own odd ways, especially after the plan had leaked throughout the ship:

As we were finishing up at Zeta Illuminati III, the landing party’s loss of sharpness and lack of concern allowed their Lander to get within striking distance of one of the nearby clapping trees, which attacked and killed Ensign Collins. When they returned after recording all of the biological data, they were collectively astonished that I didn’t activate the time portal to try again. I explained that we needed to move on and continue with our mission, and I watched as the landing team simultaneously slumped their shoulders while giving out discontented sighs. From that point on, the assigned landing teams acted much more paranoid before away missions and several officers even asked to be transferred to less hazardous tasks and operations.

Less than a few weeks later, in the Theta Illuminati System, we had just completed surveying all of the moons of the innermost gas giant, and were proceeding towards the second planet. I left the bridge for about an hour and returned to my chair, fully expecting us to be entering orbit shortly thereafter, which would be the norm. However, as I examined the display monitor, I noticed we were now on the opposite side of the planet, heading towards it -- at a fast pace I might add. As our momentum carried us past the small, blue world once again, I threw my hands up in disbelief and asked the helm if they cared to explain what the hell was going on here?!

Lieutenant Thompson looked back with a half-smile dosage of nonchalant demeanor, and complained about the manner in which the interplanetary sensor cluster switches between short-range, intermediate, and long-range display when traveling close to the sun, which can cause disorientation when the planet is suddenly removed from view and you have to make an educated guess which part of the orbital ring it will be when the sensor display readjusts. “Besides, Captain...” he continued to explain lethargically, with an air of smugness in his facial expressions, “What’s the big deal? None of this stuff will ever happen anyway!”

I immediately relieved him of duty and took the helm myself and made the proper course corrections. Upon finally entering orbit of our destination, I summoned an adequate replacement, which just so happened to be the same Pkunk who’s served in the capacity of helm rotation duties before, whom the crew have affectionately named "Screech," which makes sense -- it was the sound he made when they asked him for his name for the first time. It’s probably for the better, too, since the Pkunk never seem to have issues with morale, even though their verbose and otherwise gushy behavior is contrasted by their constant attitude of indifference. It seems that nothing ever really bothers them like it does us humans, and I'm not sure if that's a strength or a shortcoming among us.

I called a crew meeting on the upper deck level and informed them how I was aware of the lackadaisical inclinations sweeping through the mindset of the crew, and it has in fact apparently become quite contagious, and I have a problem with it, and it needs to stop...NOW! Therefore, for the remainder of our time in Spathi space, we would be performing around-the-clock shipwide drills, along with the recalibration of sensors and other onboard instrumentation, and the entire ship itself would be well-to-do with a little bit of “spring cleaning.”

I continued with how it’s vital that everybody recognizes the importance of performance expectations, regardless of whether our mission takes us into mundane mineral excavations (or surveys) or battling endless waves of Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts. The ultimate goal is still the same. We all still have our duties to perform, and anyone will also be held accountable for any and all of their actions... even in a timeline that will never exist! That certainly got their attention! Everybody was on their toes for the next several days and the mood of the crew changed back into their normal, confident, determined selves.

Finally, we were on the last leg of our journey in Beta Herculis, and while traveling from the first planet towards the third, I ordered a Yellow Alert as a pair of Probes came into range and altered course to intercept us -- one on each side. Thankfully, due to the crew’s reinvigorated discipline and ready alertness, they were able to coordinate their efforts and successfully perform evasive maneuvers to sidestep the Probes and enter orbit of the gas giant, thus concealing our location. Then I was able to finish compiling all of the planetary data within the safety of the gas giant's atmosphere, and then activated the time portal afterwards, putting us back in Alpha Illuminati.

We are currently underway on our long voyage back home to Starbase, and none of the crew is even aware of any of the events that took place for almost two months, and I’m keeping my experience on record just in case there comes a time and place when I need to refer back and recall how to handle these precarious situations. Sometimes, regulating crew morale can be like walking a tightrope! I must admit though, the ship was beginning to smell much nicer.

End of Personal Log.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Captain’s Log – May 26, 2156 – Starbase

As soon as we arrived, Commander Hayes was very anxious to get right to his report, not even letting me get in a word edgewise -- He’s obviously been up to his ears with delegates and commissioned officers from the Orz and Spathi! Hayes is quite impressed with the design of the Orz Nemesis (and I fully agree) and he’s already begun Space Marine training for qualified Starbase personnel, plus he’s also pleasantly surprised that we were able to acquire a Hierarchy member by flipping the Spathi over to our side. He also reported they have detected some kind of disturbance at 100:50, which is dead center in Pkunk space, so I revealed to him the coordinates of their sphere of influence, then and now, and we’re both in agreement that effects from this migration must be what they were observing, and the Pkunk are currently moving into the Gorno Constellation:

Oh yeah! After the debriefing it came time to get paid, the debris we salvaged from numerous Probes along with our bountiful supply of minerals brought in a new total of 28,800 resource units! Awesome! Then we brought in the Taalo Device and had the Starbase scientists take a good look at it. After their evaluations, they are confounded as to what makes this thing tick, since from every degree of close visual inspections it appears to be nothing more than a big, glowing rock. However, when you feed it power, it interferes with anybody nearby who has mental powers or the potential for possessing them. The Pkunk seem to be the most affected when the device is active; sometimes some of them will begin thrashing about, squawking madly until we turn it off. The Orz, on the other hand, seem totally unaffected. This device may come in useful at some point though…perhaps invaluable.

Speaking of the Pkunk, I felt it necessary to cut their contingent in half, scrapping two Furies to facilitate additional resource units and make sufficient room for other fleet acquisitions, such as adding another Spathi Eluder alongside the StarRunner, as well as two Orz Nemeses, giving us a pair of each type of ship, including our Cruisers. Every new ship we've built will have a split between the ship’s native species and human personnel in the crew roster, and it would seem that more people opt to volunteer and serve aboard Spathi ships than Orz.

Several hours after the final vessel was constructed and fully operational, many a champagne bottle was broken across the masts of our new recruit allies’ ships, followed by an explanation to the Spathi to not be alarmed by the shattering glass; their ships could take it. We had a grand christening party, and we ceremoniously including the ship prefix “H.M.S.” with each vessel, pledging our solidarity, unification and allegiance to our devotion to free her majesty “Mother Earth”:

Earthling Cruisers - H.M.S. Tobermoon & H.M.S. Lexington (commanded by Captain Van Rijn and Captain Quaternos, respectively)
Spathi Eluders – H.M.S. StarRunner & H.M.S. StarGazer (commanded by Captain Fwiffo and Captain Tuffa-Yuf, respectively)
Orz Nemeses – H.M.S. Fishbowl #1 and H.M.S. Fishbowl #2 (commanded by Captain *Singer* and Captain *Dancer*, respectively)

Then I wrung my hands together in enthusiastic anticipation as it became time to make modifications to our flagship, the H.M.S. Vindicator. Along with our pairings of ships in our fleet, our upgrades seemed to mostly follow the same trend, so we added a Hellbore Cannon, another Tracking Module, as well as an additional Dynamo and Shiva Furnace, giving us a pair of each, and added nine more planetary landers, just for kicks. We will now only have room left for four Storage Bays, so we will have to be much more selective from the get-go when gathering minerals, but since we still have 5792 RUs leftover (and 4500 readily available from our extra landers), our next mission will be focusing more on obtaining information and following up on clues and avenues of interest, which I will go into more detail later during our mission briefing shortly, after some shore leave...not as if there's a "shore" or anything, but everybody (including the captain) could use some R&R on the base; at least it's a different place to set our feet.

Captain out.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Aha! I am pleasanly surprised you actually did go home eventually, to be honest.

This is where a bit of module optimization comes in handy. I believe that, when using 4 or more modules for energy regen, the best configuration is to use 3 dynamos and the rest shiva furnaces. I don't know how much difference it will make (I certainly never had any trouble with regen using all furnaces before I knew about the mechanics of it), but it is something to note.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Well... if you go to the border between water and land on, say, Spathiwa... wouldn't that technically be shore leave?
For that matter, one could say that every landing expedition is shore-leave, from a certain point of view.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Draxas wrote:Aha! I am pleasanly surprised you actually did go home eventually, to be honest.
Haha! :lol:
Draxas wrote:This is where a bit of module optimization comes in handy. I believe that, when using 4 or more modules for energy regen, the best configuration is to use 3 dynamos and the rest shiva furnaces. I don't know how much difference it will make (I certainly never had any trouble with regen using all furnaces before I knew about the mechanics of it), but it is something to note.
I’ll have to experiment with it on a few Probes and see which configuration I like the best. During battles, my tendency is to aim without using thrusters (or minimal maneuvering, moving away slowly and allow the target to pursue) and fire a full spread and hope for the best, and if the enemy manages somehow to dodge or otherwise withstand the initial barrage, I hold down the fire button in the hopes I can regenerate quickly enough to finish them off before they’re within firing range.
Quasispatial wrote:Well... if you go to the border between water and land on, say, Spathiwa... wouldn't that technically be shore leave?
For that matter, one could say that every landing expedition is shore-leave, from a certain point of view.
Well, I don’t think the Allied soldiers that stormed the beaches of Normandy would’ve considered that shore leave. I think it’s more about the “leave” part more than the “shore” part. ;)

You’ve given me an idea though, perhaps some of the crew can head on over to the Moon and enjoy some nice bulldozer rides! :P

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Dynamos and shiva furnaces both impact energy regeneration rate, not energy capacity, so your firing pattern doesn't really make much of a difference.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Death 999 wrote:Dynamos and shiva furnaces both impact energy regeneration rate, not energy capacity, so your firing pattern doesn't really make much of a difference.
Right, but I made mention of my firing pattern mostly for when I'm waiting for enough power to recharge so I can get another shot off the soonest after my energy has been depleted.

Also, I went ahead and tested with 3 dynamos and 1 shiva furnace, the reverse set-up and 2 of each, and they're all pretty close, but the configuration Draxas suggested (3 dyn 1 shiva) seemed a tiny bit faster when holding down the fire button, If only by around 1/4 to 1/2 of a second, so I think I'll go with that one.

On that note, I'd like to add I find it an odd strategy to avoid destroying a Probe by constantly facing away while firing non-stop while the Probe zapped me from behind, which is what I had to do while timing the pause between shots, actually hoping they miss the Probe so I could continue with the experiment.