Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Dec 15, 2155 – Sol

Just before entering Sol, Interstellar Long-Range Sensors detected a blip on the radar screen, which was probably a Slylandro Probe, so we went to Yellow Alert and continued on course.

We still have 121 credits leftover after purchasing 157 units of fuel from the Melnorme, but my Communications Officer approached me and asked why we didn’t use any of our remaining credits on information, so I explained how we already have that info by my using the time portal, and he responded by requesting a bridge staff meeting.

During that meeting, he informed me that even though we had gathered tons of information from the Melnorme, the Precursor translation computer has not been exposed to it directly as of yet in our current timeline, therefore it would be unable to process any appropriate questions or responses to any aliens we encounter until “learning” it first from the Melnorme.

I had just made my way back to the bridge after finishing the meeting as we entered the Sol System, when Interplanetary Long-Range Sensors detected a Slylandro Probe orbiting Pluto.

We are continuing towards Starbase while keeping a close eye on that Probe. We are going to Red Alert. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Dec 16, 2155 – Starbase

Fortunately, we arrived at Starbase without incident, and ironically, as soon as we docked with Starbase, Commander Hayes informed me about the "massive amount of red tumbling probes" situation, stating that this was a growing problem and we need to address it soon, before every inch of the galaxy is flooded with this red menace!

We offloaded our large supply of minerals, and Hayes exclaimed how we hit the mother lode this time! In fact, we now have 11,858 RUs at our disposal. Awesome! There will be a great many things to consider as we outfit the Vindicator and the rest of the fleet.

Since we've also learned much more about what’s going on across the galaxy, there are many different directions we can go, but we must take careful consideration when determining which destinations we should target for our next mission. We’ll have to map out the expedition with special attention to proximity and priority. However, some of these matters (like the probes,) as urgent as they may be, seem impossible, or at the very least highly impractical, to undertake at our current state.

I’m heading into a mission debriefing with Commander Hayes. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:20 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Haha. When you see the prices on some of those technologies you'll see just how far 11k RU goes...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:19 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Yes indeed, and no joke. I think you can officially afford 1 Hellbore Cannon right now, and are just shy of a second. :P-smf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:43 pm 
Orz *camper*

Psst... get more storage bays!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Well, it looks as if my initial assessment of our abundance of RUs may not be as much of a prosperous yield as I had anticipated; relatively speaking, that is, when including the prerequisite resource allocation of our new technology. But I still believe we can make the Vindicator a formidable ship for any battle situations we might face during our next journey.

First and foremost, I decided we should not remove any of our Antimatter Thrusters or Turning Jets to maintain maximum maneuverability, especially considering we may be fighting our way through waves of Slylandro Probes! Next, the focus was adding 2 more Storage Bays for a total of 6, along with replacing the 3 regular Fuel Tanks with 2 of the new High-Efficiency Fuel Tanks, and we topped off the tanks as well, for a total of 210 units.

Now for our defensive capabilities, or should I rather say offensive capabilities? Right! We had the choice of installing a combination of Ion-Bolt Guns and Fusion Blaster, but I decided to go with a single Hellbore Cannon instead. This means, however, that the aiming will need to be pinpoint accurate, so adding the new Auto-Tracking System seems like a no-brainer. This also necessitates the need for better combat battery regeneration, so we added a Shiva Furnace alongside the current Combat Dynamo Unit.

Finally, I've determined the further we explore outward into the galaxy, the more likely our chances become of running into something like an Ur-Quan Dreadnought, so the addition of a Point-Defense Laser makes sense for Fighters, among other things, like Limpets when we venture into VUX territory, but I’ll get to that momentarily during the overview of our next mission.

Unfortunately, we did have to make a few sacrifices to make the armament and defenses possible, including scrapping the 2 extra shuttlecraft Landers; they weren't being used anyway, so I'm pretty sure the crew won't mind. And besides, the Invincible looks like it's up for the task, considering its brand new Melnorme makeover!

We also had to scuttle the HMS Ark Royal, and reassigned its crew, along with a few willing Pkunk (leaving one of the Pkunk ships with a skeleton crew,) who will now either serve on the Starbase or be transferred aboard the Vindicator during crew rotations or replacements, whichever comes first… (hopefully not the latter.)

Including our Flagship, this brings our fleet strength to 8 strong: The 2 Cruisers Tobermoon and Lexington, Fwiffo's ship the StarRunner, and 4 Pkunk Fury vessels, all of which have their own names as well, but due to the Pkunk language, they all basically sound like Squawk or Bgak and other assorted bird-like sounds.

The Vindicator should be ready for departure soon after all of the installations are complete, so we’ll let the engineers and technicians do their work, and in the meantime, we’ll go over the mission briefing for our next voyage. Captain out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

If you are using only a single cannon with ATS, make sure you drop it in the second slot instead of the first. It's a quick way to double your firepower at no extra cost, and the ATS will make sure you have a much better chance of connecting with both shots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain's Log - Supplemental:

Mission Briefing Summary

We've broken down the areas of interest into several different categories to ascertain what our exploration route should be…

Medium to High Priority, but WAY Too Far:

Beta Corvi - Slylandro Homeworld – High Priority! But it would take most of our fuel just to get there and back, plus it would take several months round trip.
Alpha Pavonis - Shipwrecked Dreadnought – Very interesting, but too far to pursue right now.
Columbae/Chandrasekhar - Arilou and possible portal - Too many unknowns to undergo such a long voyage.

Too far and of no immediate, apparent priority:

Alpha Tucanae - Zoq-Fot-Pik – I’d like to make contact with them, but it’s currently a tad bit far, and according to what’s implied by the Melnorme, it possibly puts us very close to the Kohr-Ah and Ur-Quan conflict.
Thraddash or Umgah Space - Too far to not know what we could gain, besides possibly the Aqua Helix from the Thraddash.
Utwig or Druuge Space – Both destinations are clear across the galaxy.

Medium Priority, and could be visited if the opportunity presents itself, but still seems pretty far right now:

Mycon - Beta Brahe - Not sure what we'd find there, so it’s a little too far for being such an unknown. I’d still like to find out what they were doing there, and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with their planetary colonization methods.
Syreen - Betelgeuse – We probably first need evidence of Mycon's destroying Syra to gain anything. It’s tempting to at least make contact and see what we could learn.
Spathi - Epsilon Gruis - Could be quite dangerous, but we could possibly help the Spathi with their little pest problem.

Closer, but probably not worth it at the moment:

Procyon - Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm - Not eager to head into Ilwrath space, and I'm pretty sure we already know what a slave-shield looks like, so until we find a way to communicate through one, it’s probably not yet worth the trip.
Zeta Sextantis – According to Captain Tanaka, this puts us on the edge of Yehat space, and since they’re part of the Hierarchy now, if we encountered any Yehat ships they’d probably attack us, and our only direct interest would only be the unusual planet, which is possibly a Rainbow World that the Melnorme are interested in.

Congruent in Priority and Proximity:

Rigel – Definitely an unknown, but it is very close and we seem to be receiving a signal beacon or similar from there. I’m very curious to see who’s sending the transmission and what they want, but I hope it’s not a trap, so we’ll try to be ready for anything.
Vela - Unzervalt – I’d like to return to my old home and see if there's anything useful that was left behind. I’ve also recently been having unusual cravings for Ortog milk.
Alpha Cerenkov - 2nd step in restoring the Shofixti race is finding Admiral ZEX, but we will have to be cautious, since this may take us into VUX territory.
Vulpeculae Cluster – Well, let’s see… there’s the disappearance of the entire Androsynth race, the sudden emergence of the Orz, and the extinction of the Taalo. This is clearly a hotspot of curiosities!

Here's what's been explored so far, and some points of interest have been circled:

So, after considering all the different opportunities and possibilities, we have plotted an interstellar course:

Sirius - Wolf Stars - Rigel - Saurus Constellation - Raynet Constellation - Vela - Zeeman - Beta Mira - Alpha Cerenkov - Gamma Mira - Vulpeculae Constellation

I've decided to return to the Lanthanide World in Sirius to gather the rare earth minerals we were unable to obtain during our first interstellar trip, plus I'm eager to test our new and improved Lander! We are departing Starbase, and setting course for Sirius. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Draxas wrote:
If you are using only a single cannon with ATS, make sure you drop it in the second slot instead of the first. It's a quick way to double your firepower at no extra cost, and the ATS will make sure you have a much better chance of connecting with both shots.

Oh wow! I didn't realize that! I definitely need to fix that, and stat! Great advice!

EDIT: We are now returning to Starbase.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:55 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

No sweat. Most new players only realize this after kitting out their ship completely for battle, and finding themselves firing 5 shots in the forward spread (slot 3 also fires to both sides simultaneously, but broadside instead of angled forward like slot 2).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:35 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain's Log - Dec 17, 2155 - Just Outside Sol

As soon as we entered HyperSpace, the klaxons sounded the Red Alert as we were quickly encountering none other than a Slylandro Probe. Apparently, it had waited outside the system, just hoping (or the robot equivalent of hoping) that we would be coming by. I suppose, only out of my own self-obligation to protocol, we will open communication channels before they’re in weapons’ range and try to convince them not to attack us, even though I already know it’s basically pointless.

Well, I guess in fairness I did mention before about wanting to do a little target practice. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Dec 18, 2155 - Sirius

Now I'm really fumed! We were easily able to repel the attack by the Probe and still destroyed it with no problem, but I remember specifically telling those so-called "expert" engineers and technicians about how I wanted the Hellbore Cannon installed in the 2nd slot, not the 1st! And I was very adamant about this, stating that putting it in the 2nd firing position would allow for a spreadfire of 2 blasts, and because of the Auto-Tracking System, it would pack twice a punch since both projectiles would home in on their target! But did they listen to me? Do they even know how to read? NO!!! I'm disgusted and appalled! Ah-ha! I’ve found it! I have my official requisition form right here in my hands, and it clearly states that...oh...um, it seems that I accidentally left the Hellbore Cannon in the first slot. Oops!

Just as I had anticipated, since I knew all along that the Probe would be waiting on us, and knowing there's no way to reason with them, I wanted to do some testing on the Cannon in the forward position. Yeah, that's right... some testing.

Wow, and those new Hellbore Cannons sure do pack a wallop! It only took 2 shots from our powerful nose cannon and that Probe was toast! Even though it would've probably only been one shot if they were where we want them. Also, suffice it say, the Auto-Tracking System immediately proved to be invaluable; it really guided the missile blast to their intended target quite impressively!

Now that the testing is complete, we shall return to Starbase to get the Hellbore Cannons moved to their correct position, and proceed to the Sirius System as planned. Zelnick out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 118  Next