About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by glory_device » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Death 999 wrote:You have a funny definition of the middle of nowhere

Well, okay...granted, but I wanted to stay vague. Also, I always had a feeling that the story could have branched there into a completely different ending...meh!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:45 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Sep 16, 2155 - Gamma Krueger

We have just left the Pkunk homeworld after speaking with the wise ones. They were very hospitable, and, at the request of the spirits, gave us an artifact called a Clear Spindle. It is an interesting Precursor device which was likely constructed over hundreds of thousands of years ago. I researched the Vindicator's library and found that spindles have been around for centuries and used for all sorts of different tasks like spinning wool or impaling paper, but this particular one looks as if it should connect to something and rotate like a turning lever or possibly revolve or perhaps even have something revolve on it, and I've trusted the device to our top scientists for further study.

As an act to convey our goal of mutual friendship, I offered our aid and assistance to the Pkunk leaders. For a brief, fleeting moment I actually thought that the Wise Pkunk may give us large amounts of resources as well as make their entire fleets available to fight against the Ur-Quan! But then they changed their minds and quickly reneged their offer, saying that they felt that it would offend us to throw such large amounts of charity our way. Before I could interject, they had given us 4 Pkunk Furys, which is still a very nice gesture...and, of course, along with their undying love. Super.

When I asked about their history, they told us about their transformation origins which happened many, many years ago, when they were more similar to the Yehat, when one of them sat on the mystical egg of Icelike Temperature and gave the Initial Squawk, triggering the Harmonic Oscillations that initiated their...uh...evolution, I guess you could call it. Speaking of the Yehat, the Pkunk love their Yehat relatives like they love everything else, but that love is not reciprocated by the Yehat, who will open fire on any Pkunk unlucky enough to cross their path, and the Pkunk claim the reason for this is because they abandoned their avian relatives, who are still bitter after all these years.

I wanted to learn more about their culture, but when they made references to philosophies that parallel in some aspects that of Yoga and Hinduism, I became more specifically inquisitive with my responses and asked for some clarification on a few detailed points of interest. This seemed to stun and baffle the Pkunk, who displayed a sense of unfamiliarity with being questioned on any sort of intellectual level, and immediately resorted to retorting with the all-too-familiar circular response of rhetorical nonsense and jibber-jabber.

Even though all of the last regular Pkunk ships I encountered while nearing Gamma Krueger had rejected giving me any further future fortune readings, I went ahead and asked the Wise Pkunk if they could really see into the future. Suddenly, the Pkunk leader announced a vision involving much shining light, a cracked egg, a swirling vortex, a tunnel, more shining light, and finally a vision of the Yehat welcoming the Pkunk with open arms...uh, I mean wings.

I asked many questions concerning the Pkunk's more immediate problem: The Ilwrath. I find this very difficult to believe, but the Wise Pkunk believe that the Ilwrath were once shining beings of pure light and blissful love, and they only became the heinous, vile creatures we love to loathe is simply because they actually became too perfect, which somehow resulted in them suddenly becoming pure evil. Puzzling. This revelation of course the leaders claim was made possible by using their ability to regress into the Ilwrath's past lives long, long ago, but what's incredibly disconcerting to me, but only seemingly mildly concerning to the wise ones, is their claim that at their current rate of attrition from the Ilwrath's attacks, the Pkunk will only exist in the physical realm for another year or so. Basically, unless we can take some drastic action, the Pkunk may very well soon be extinct.

We must help them!... but how? Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Captain's Log - Sep 14, 2155 – Zeta Giclas

I wanted to see what would happen and if I could learn anything useful from going back in time before our initial contact with the Pkunk, so I activated the time portal when we were about to depart the Zeta Giclas System. From there, I ordered the Navigator to plot a course for Gamma Krueger, which she did, but not before giving me a perplexed look, along with the helmsman. We are on our way to the Pkunk system, and I’ve explained to the bridge crew how it might be possible to convince the Pkunk leaders into making their fleets of ships available and also their vast amounts of resources... if we play our cards right.

We are about to enter the Gamma Krueger System. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Sep 15, 2155 – Gamma Krueger

It would seem there may be something to this weird hocus pocus and bizarre Crystal Magic and whatnot! When we arrived at the Pkunk homeworld after dodging dozens of Pkunk squadrons, the Wise Pkunk didn't seem a bit surprised in the slightest at our arrival and gave us the Clear Spindle the same as before. But I threw them a curve by claiming I was there to conquer them all! They remained unshaken and asked why we wished to conquer them, to which I replied for the glory of the Human race. But when they responded how much they loved Humans, I admitted that we were really trying to gain access to their resources to help fight against the Ur-Quan, and they pointed out how the proposition of attacking them was probably not the best way to establish friendly relations. I couldn't bring myself to fight them again, so I apologized, and the Wise Pkunk graciously accepted it, but I didn't win any points with their first officer, who kept their shields raised and guns charged...just in case we changed our minds.

They asked why we were there, and since I knew the end result if my reply was the same as it was originally, I instead evaded the question by quoting part of the Star Trek mission theme, and said that we were basically just exploring. Somehow they sensed my misleading response and knew that I was holding back something, so I responded in a "golly, shucks" mannerism and pretended to be oblivious, saying that we just so happened to be in the neighborhood. It almost made me laugh, and I couldn't hold back a smile as the Pkunk took on the role of parent coaxing their toddler to do something by using baby talk to persuade the small child to finally give in, which I did. This time, however, instead of offering our aid, I asked them more directly to help us fight the Ur-Quan, hoping this would change the course of their decision-making process and give us more support than a small Pkunk force. Unfortunately, it yielded identical results, so I activated the time portal and we are back at Gamma Krueger after the first time we departed the Pkunk homeworld.

We will set course for Alpha Centauri. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Captain's Log - Sep 21, 2155 - Alpha Centauri

We have just entered Alpha Centauri and are beginning our search for the Melnorme to trade with them. They seem to have a strange fascination with gas planets, since I usually find them orbiting or nearby one, so we will start proceeding through the system while doing IPLRS sweeps to detect the Melnorme Trader.

We will set course to angle through the system past each gas planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Sep 23, 2155 - Alpha Centauri, Near Planet 2

I knew we would find them around a gas giant, I just knew it! After selling our lifeform bio-data, we purchased 2 items from the Melnorme. The first is the plans for building Point-Defense Lasers for the Vindicator, which the Melnorme informed us are good for defense against incoming attacks, but if multiple units are installed, they can also make a halfway descent short-range weapon. We also got a shield installed by the Melnorme on our Landers that's supposed to protect us against hostile lifeforms on the surface. Considering the troubles we've already ran into with swarms of bees, celery stalks with eyeballs, poison slugs, clapping trees, and I'm still having nightmares about those giant gummy bears, these Lander bio-shields will be of great help indeed! The Melnorme said as long as our crew kept their hands in the windows, we'll be fine, but how could they possibly know about the Ensign Johnson incident at Beta Centauri? The next item available for purchase is blueprints on how to double our Lander's cargo capacity. But I already had my own idea I was going to propose to the Starbase Engineering Team upon our return! I was going to suggest that we hitch some double-wide trailers to the back of the Landers, but perhaps the Melnorme's idea is better.

We will set course for Starbase. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Captain's Log - Sep 27, 2155 - Starbase

Commander Hayes was very pleased with the large amounts of minerals we brought back, which yielded almost 9000 resource units! I asked Hayes to have the Starbase scientists collaborate with the preliminary findings of our scientists on the Vindicator, and their analysis of the device didn't reveal much more than I had already assumed: It was probably made by the Precursors and is probably part of a larger device. Another interesting note is it has super-conductive characteristics between 18 and 22° C. That seems incredibly warm. Intriguing.

While the Vindicator is in Drydock, after much deliberation, I have decided how to allocate the RU's:

First and foremost, 2 more Storage Bays for a total of 4, doubling our much needed storage capacity.
1 additional Fuel Pod for a total of 3, which will provide 160 units of fuel.
We removed the forward Ion-Bolt Gun and replaced it with the new Fusion Blaster, and it looks awesome!
By the Melnorme's recommendation, we also added an additional Dynamo Unit to compensate for the Fusion Blaster’s drain on combat batteries.
We had some leftover RU's, so we went ahead and added an additional Planetary Lander, to which Commander Hayes informed me that the Starbase engineers can replicate the bio-shields for any Landers we build.

I've been reviewing numerous log entries and reports, and I'm now leaning towards the direction of Delta Gorno to investigate their destroyed homeworld and to try to track down any remaining Shofixti, since the Melnorme had revealed a few survivors should still be near that location in barely working Scouts. But we will first begin by travelling downspin and exploring the Ptolemae Cluster, and work our way outwards towards Delta Gorno.

We have set course for the Eta Ptolemae. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Oct 3, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae

We have just entered the Eta Ptolemae System, a blue star with 7 planets:

Planet 1 - White Gas Giant
Planet 2 - Small Yellow
Planet 3 - Medium Cyan
Planet 4 - Medium Blue
Planet 5 - Small Violet
Planet 6 - Small Green
Planet 7 - Small Violet

We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 3-2-1-4-7-5-6

We will set course for the 3rd planet. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Captain's Log - Oct 4, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Planet 3

We have just entered orbit of an Organic World, but besides having class 4 tectonics and very long days (219.2 days) and no atmosphere, there are actually a few noteworthy earth-like characteristics: Its surface has visible vegetation (and I assume there are no pesticides, gmo’s or fertilizers present since this is an "Organic" World) and a few small oceans. It also has similar mass (0.82), radius (0.93), gravity (0.94), and a tilt of 12° (e.s. = 23.5°). Unfortunately, there are only 3 deposits of common minerals, and I think we know where those would likely to end up!

We have set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Oct 5, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Near Planet 1

The 2nd planet was a Urea World, which didn’t have much to offer except a dangerous surface of class 3 weather, class 6 tectonics, along with 2 lousy deposits of common minerals.

We have just entered SRS range of the 1st planet, a white gas giant on a separated innermost ring with 3 moons: A violet, a green, and an orange.

We have adjusted the exploration path: m3-m1-P-m2

We have set course for the 3rd moon. Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Oct 5, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Planet 1, Moon 3

We have entered orbit of a Metal World with 6 deposits of base metals and 3 deposits of radioactive metals, but unfortunately it also has class 8 weather, not to mention the earthquakes and hot spots! I may give the scoop technique a quick try, if nothing less but to attempt to grab the radioactives.

Supplemental:

After quite a few failed attempts and using the time portal, we managed to at least retrieve the 3 deposits of radioactives, but we'll be leaving the base metals behind.

We will set course for the 1st moon. Zelnick out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Oct 5, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Planet 1, Moon 1

We have entered orbit of an interesting planet, which planetary sensors are calling an Oolite World. Its thick atmosphere (66.2 atm) and hot temperature (113° C) has caused a very violent surface with class 8 weather conditions like the Metal World we just visited.

Unless the sensors are fooling my eyes and I'm actually seeing pink oceans down there, I don't really understand the presence of ooliths, which are most commonly formed by ocean currents, but I suppose it's possible the numerous gases in the atmosphere were once liquid oceans on the surface, during which time the rounded grains were created.

My guess would be the pink color of the planet is caused by large amounts of erbium, which when the element is oxidized or combined with halogens like a chloride, changes it from its natural silvery color to a pinkish violet color. It has equal portions of 9 lanthanide and precious metal deposits, but we will refrain from using the scoop technique on these minerals, due to the hazardous conditions.

We will set course for the planet. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Oct 5, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Planet 1, Moon 2

After scanning an ordinary run-of-the-mill white gas giant, we proceeded on towards the 2nd moon.

Planetary sensors are calling this moon a Quasi-Degenerate World. I'm not really sure how it achieved such a dubious title, but what I do know is it has 3 deposits of exotic minerals and the only obstacle being class 5 tectonics on the surface! It also has a relatively warm temperature (25°) for not having an atmosphere.

Supplemental:

The description of “Quasi-Degenerate” makes much more sense now that we've brought back the exotic minerals from this odd planet. The 26 units of exotics we've gathered are degenerate matter, and we have to keep them stabilized in cargo bay so they don’t destabilize...or kill us. Perhaps Eta Ptolemae is really a neutron star, whereas during its collapse some stellar debris containing degenerate matter was thrown from the star out into space, caught in the gas giant’s gravitational pull, and some of the degenerate matter collided with this moon. But since the Vindicator’s sensors are unable to scan stars in the same manner as planets, it’s only pure speculation on my part.

We will set course for the 4th planet. Zelnick out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Oct 6, 2155 - Eta Ptolemae, Planet 4

We have encountered our first Water World, and it has life despite its cold temperature (-123° C). It has a gravity that will consume 2.3 units of fuel per visit, which may take several trips to gather the 8 deposits of base metals and 19 lifeforms.

We will send down the Lander. Captain out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Why don't you do post these more frequently?
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:10 pm

palmpet wrote:Why don't you do post these more frequently?
Have you seen how much stuff he has to support his adventure? There's a ton of papers; a wall of maps, a whole pile of notes and I don't know what else. With all that, I'm not surprised that it requires a lot of time, and well, he can't be playing it 24/7 so it's bound to drag on for a while.

Besides, I kind of prefer it this way, and we wouldn't want to rush him - that tends to degrade quality of the output material.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

I guess your right.. I forgot about that
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:15 pm

palmpet wrote:Why don't you do post these more frequently?
I do find your eagerness to see more frequent posts flattering. Thank you.
Quasispatial wrote:Have you seen how much stuff he has to support his adventure? There's a ton of papers; a wall of maps, a whole pile of notes and I don't know what else. With all that, I'm not surprised that it requires a lot of time, and well, he can't be playing it 24/7 so it's bound to drag on for a while.
Quite true, and I’m always doing scientific research and studying dialogue and earlier entries. I also take the time to summarize and consolidate the log entries in an attempt to present them in such a way that's not as choppy and redundant like my earlier posts, which is how my logbook looks in its rawest form. It’s very obvious that most of exploration is boring since so much of it involves flying from place to place with the same repetitive and mundane mineral gathering, so I make every attempt to add my own literary spin on things to try to keep it somewhat interesting, however impossible that may actually be.
Quasispatial wrote:Besides, I kind of prefer it this way, and we wouldn't want to rush him - that tends to degrade quality of the output material.
Right! Each log entry is hand-crafted with the utmost care to every detail!
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.