About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte »

Quasispatial wrote:
Tormuse wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:...I'm definitely getting more storage bays when we return to Starbase!
Please do! Or we'll have to nickname Captain Zelnick the Litterbug! ;)
Yeah, or I'll swear some day someone is going to fly straight into those corrosives, it's going to hit something important, and then the ship's crew will all die a horrible death in the vacuum of space. See, your evil plan will produce results eventually, and when it does... someone's day is going to be ruined.
And I would've gotten away with it too! If it wasn't for you snooping kids!...and your talking dog!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

(Meanwhile...)

1st Officer: Captain, Regorjo Never Arrived At The Rendezvous Point.
Captain: What Was Their Last Reported Position?
1st Officer: Their Last Known Location Was Just Outside The Sol System, Where The Hu-Mans Are Slave-Shielded On Their Planet They Call Earth.
Captain: Hmmm... Perhaps It Would Please Dogar And Kazon If We Investigated Their Disappearance. Helm, Lay In Coordinates For One Seventy Five Point Two Mark One Forty-
1st Officer: Captain! Long-Range Sensors Show Several Pkunk Ships In The Vicinity!
Captain: Belay My Previous Orders! Activate The Cloak! Prepare To Alter Course!!!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Sep 12, 2155 - Just outside Zeta Giclas

I have successfully made contact with the Pkunk, and they were more than eager to begin friendly relations! Quite eager in fact. They immediately gave us the coordinates of their homeworld in Gamma Krueger, and urged us to go there and consult the wise ones. They also told me how they suspect that Dogar and Kazon's ordering of the Ilwrath to attack them may very well be a hoax, something I'll be looking into more since the Melnorme had already informed me about the Umgah using a special HyperWave Caster to trick the Ilwrath into attacking the poor Pkunk.

We will set course for Gamma Krueger to seek out these "Wise Pkunk." Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Ooh, the suspense! What will the wise Pkunk have to say? :D
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Captain's Log - Sep 13, 2155 - Near Beta Giclas

During the next several encounters with the Pkunk on our way to Gamma Krueger, it became clear to me that they regard themselves as very spiritual beings, but not in a religious sense, but more of a literal abstract sense, where their outlook on life involves the concept of interacting with different dimensions, living possibly an assortment of lives through reincarnation and transformation, and the general idea of an intertwining of the corporeal with that of mystical, spiritual planes of existence. They consider themselves to be enlightened, as well as seekers of truth and wisdom, and urged us to not be frightened of them and their unusual powers they have supposedly harnessed. They associate all events and occurrences, whether in the past, present or future, as being governed by alignment of certain celestial bodies, and they furthermore claim to manifest great power and energy, giving them the means to affect the universe around them by “tugging” on the fabric of the space-time continuum and alter it to their will. According to them, they also possess unique psychic abilities, which allow them to see into the future, whether by invoking visions or by communicating with spiritual beings from other dimensions. However, it’s unfortunate how I had to obtain some of this information:

Knowing the vital importance of our mission, I activated a time portal prior to an encounter with a lone Pkunk scout, and I deemed it necessary to instigate conflict with them to perhaps intimidate them into revealing more valuable information, so I intentionally insulted them by mimicking the Fruit Loops breakfast cereal’s mascot Toucan Sam, known for saying, “Just follow your nose! It always knows!” The Pkunk let that slide, but when I tried some additional bully tactics and commanded them to obey me and fulfill my desires, they responded that they were going to fulfill my desires by attacking us! The Vindicator has its engines maxed out, but it still didn’t come close to preventing the Pkunk ship from closing in on us fast, and before I could turn the ship to fire, the Fury was already blasting away at out hull with molten pellets. The spread-fire of the Ion-Cannon proved somewhat useful, since when we returned fire the Pkunk could easily dodge the forward guns but would still sometimes take hits from the side ones, and we eventually destroyed the Pkunk vessel.

Expecting the Pkunk to exact a quick retaliation, we remained at Red Alert as we were suddenly surrounded by a contingent of 4 Pkunk Furys. Fortunately for us, the Pkunk were very quick to forgive and we easily made amends by promising not to attack them anymore. Then the Pkunk began to reveal some different information about themselves and I used the previous time portal to restore my crew losses and also to clear my conscience of the destroyed Pkunk ship.

In all actuality, to say that the Pkunk are a peaceful race would be an understatement; they really prefer not to fight but will work themselves into a fighting frenzy when provoked. They’d really rather spend all day gushing out love like it's going out of style, and when combined with their fluffy speech, it can become a little much to handle in large doses, something of which I quickly noticed as we gathered information from each conversation. The manner in which they talk reminds me of the 'Charlie in the Box' from 'The Island of Misfit Toys' in the "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" movie, and their appearance has features of a stork, pelican, toucan and a heron, with the most unattractive features of each all rolled up into one! They’re still kind of cute, if only in an “Ugly Duckling” sort of way. They also have very long finger digits (especially the middle digits), which makes me wonder how or if they use them at all, but perhaps they use their feet or talons or whatever they have to pull levers and push buttons; I’m sure if I asked they’d reply they simply use telekinesis!

At first, I was cynical and very suspicious of their hippie-like behavior, it seemed like a bunch of nonsensical “smoke and mirrors” the way they'd carry on like some traveling circus act reading my palm or staring into a crystal ball to tell me my fortune. However, the more we observed them, the less my evaluation leaned towards thinking that they were all suffering from a long-lived culture of self-delusion and bogus mysticism and more towards the slightly scary conclusion that they might actually be telling the truth. Not that I'm still not somewhat skeptical, much of it still seems a bit far-fetched and conjured up on the spot, but many of the notions that the Pkunk revealed to me had an strange and eerie air of truth about it.

We will continue on towards Gamma Krueger. Zelnick out.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Which were the bits you judged likely-true?
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Huh, it got me thinking that it was kinda fun to voluntarily disrupt some of the aliens.

Arilou and Orz are kinda funny. Also the dialog when the talking pet drops you in the middle of nowhere is funny too!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

You have a funny definition of the middle of nowhere
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial »

Well, now we just need to know the size of nowhere, and we can put in its sphere of influence.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Death 999 wrote:Which were the bits you judged likely-true?
Captain's Log - Sep 14, 2155 - Between Beta Giclas and Gamma Krueger (69.5:48.3)

Well, there’s not much I can say but the Pkunk phrase, “Woopdy Dee and Trolly Bazoo!” It would seem that the word of our arrival has spread throughout Pkunk space very quickly, and they keep coming from every direction to make contact with us! Fortunately, this gave us more opportunities to learn more about them since we were encountering their vessels more frequently the further we went into their space, and the more we talked with them, the more obvious it has become that they have given themselves many different unofficial titles: Seekers of the Deepest Truths, Askers of Interesting and Significant Questions, Hatchlings of Light, Spiritual Soul Beings of the Vast Cosmic Oneness, Wayfarers on the River of Destiny, Students of the Mystical Dimensions, Purveyors of Blissful Love, and Birdlike Manifestations of Glorious Light Energies from the Astral Plane (I love that last one), to name a few.

I wanted to put their self-proclaimed psychic capabilities to the test, so each time we'd encounter a different Pkunk ship, I'd ask their Captain if they would tell me my fortune. The first went into a bizarre, almost catatonic, trance and called upon the "Spirits of Light", and spoke of us being in a great battle, but because we made friends with a certain birdlike race (I assume themselves), they will help us at the last minute. Uh-huh, sure.

Another told me that I would be hopping across the galaxy using dimensional doorways revealed to us by the Arilou. As I recall, Commander Hayes did mention how the Arilou had a technique for moving across the galaxy very quickly, so perhaps these space anomalies are how they accomplish the task, and I recall the Melnorme had made mention of a strange portal between the Chandrasekhar and Columbae Constellations, so maybe this is one of those dimensional doorways.

Another time they referenced beautiful humanoid females being driven from their home planet, which had become infected with some kind of "burning disease". I’m assuming that these are Syreen, and I will hand one of them a piece of fungus, which makes her angry, but not at me. In fact, according to the vision, I think things turn out pretty good for the Syreen and me. Very interesting. I can't help but speculate that the Mycon, which have been described as an ambulatory fungus-like species in several reports, could somehow be linked to this. Furthermore, Commander Hayes had told me how they live in environments with very high temperatures, so I wonder if there's a connection between this burning disease and the Mycons.

Often times the Pkunk seem unable (or unwilling) to communicate their thought processes clearly, which leads to them talking in circles while I'm left attempting to filter out the incoherent gibberish. However, sometimes something they say stands out more predominately and grabs my attention, even if it still doesn't completely make sense to me at the time. When I asked to have my fortune told again, the Pkunk Captain went into a trance, speaking slowly as a soothsayer, and spoke of powerful shining rocks that slept, and were awakened by a great explosion of light, apparently by me. It's unclear who the Pkunk could be referring to; perhaps the Chenjesu or even the Taalo, but I can't be sure without obtaining more facts on the matter.

While the visions revealed by the Pkunk were a mish-mash of little tidbits of information, I still wanted to learn as much as possible and try to sort it all out later. Unfortunately, it looks like I’ve gone to the wishing well one too many times and the “spirits” have become annoyed after being constantly pestered, and the Pkunk have declined to tell me anything else about my future.

We are now approaching Gamma Krueger. Captain out.