About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Tormuse wrote:I'd also like to add my voice to the chorus saying that it's for the best that you forego your cryogenic mission...
The Troglodyte wrote: I don't wish to cheat, but this doesn't seem like cheating to me. I would still be playing within acceptable game parameters. Did nobody else consider doing what I was proposing the first time playing? However, I will take your word on the matter that I would really just be cheating myself.
It's not about cheating, and certainly, people have tried it before... but just to put things in perspective, there are 25 races in the game and you've only met 4 of them, (Including your fellow humans) and of those, you've only heard a tiny fraction of what they have to say about what's going on. Each race has their own story to tell and part to play in the overarching scheme of things, (it's one of the things that makes this game so great!) :) and anything you could learn from your cryogenic plan would be utterly meaningless to you right now, because, to be blunt, you have no clue what's going on in the galaxy right now.

Everything will become clear with time. Please trust us when we say it's better this way.
All good points and well taken.

I know I wouldn't actually have been cheating, and I didn't mean to infer that anybody thought otherwise. I guess being so close to the precipice of discovery gave my inner explorer some difficulty as I backed away from its edge.

It's actually quite comforting to know that while these adventures are going on, I've had the fortune of benefitting from many healthy contributions without spoiling any of the fun. For that I am grateful.

But I digress…
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:07 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jul 28, 2155 - Alpha Centauri, Planet 6

We've encountered a new world called a Crimson World. Its boiling hot temperature of 1242° C has brought many base metals to its surface, but the hot temperatures along with class 6 weather conditions means we'll only be recording planetary data before moving on.

We will set a course for the 8th planet. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jul 29, 2155 - Alpha Centauri, Planet 8

Guess what? Another Ruby World with more exotic minerals! The concerns were the occasional hot spots (433° C), but more obvious was the fuel situation (1.2 per trip). To collect all 4 deposits of exotics, we had to do it in 2 trips after jettisoning more common minerals. We now have 333 units of exotic minerals in our cargo hold! That's what I'm talking about!

Setting course for the 9th planet, the last planet in this system. Zelnick out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jul 30, 2155 - Alpha Centauri, Planet 9

Planetary Sensors call this world a Cimmerian World. The name seemed vaguely familiar to me, so I used the ship's computer to look up "Cimmerian" and found a reference to an old book I once read, Homer's Odyssey, where there was a group of people called Cimmerians, who lived in perpetual darkness in a land where the sun never shown. The dark and gloomy description is what’s most applicable to this planet's appearance, and unless I really want to replace the vast amount of common minerals I've left scattered around this system, we'll be leaving orbit soon.

We will now return to Starbase. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Aug 4, 2155 - Starbase

After offloading all of the minerals, we had over 11,000 RU's to spend! The Vindicator now has its 3rd Storage Bay, a 2nd Fuel Tank to bring the fuel total to 110 units, a Dynamo to recharge our weapons more quickly, a second Lander, and Turning Jets and Antimatter Thrusters are now maxed out! We have also built two additional Earthling Cruisers, which have been christened the HMS Lexington and the HMS Ark Royal respectively.

Commander Hayes is pleased with the condition and modifications of the Vindicator and he feels we can focus much more of our attention on making contact with friendly alien races and convince them to join the Alliance and our efforts against the Ur-Quan.

There were many different directions we could journey, and a few of those choices are nearby: We could travel to Rigel and investigate the incoherent shower of HyperWave transmissions we're receiving from somewhere in that vicinity. I'd also like to return to Vela II in the Zeeman cluster, or investigate the destruction of the Shofixti race in the Delta Gorno System. These will all have to wait.

Since one of our most important tasks is to seek out and make peaceful relations with other aliens to help us in our fight, we will return to the Centauri stars, and from there we will head to the Giclas Constellation and attempt to make contact with the Pkunk. Commander Hayes referenced a race living in Giclas, and the Ilwrath we destroyed said they hunted Pkunk in this region of space, so we will travel there and see what we can learn from them… if we can find them.

We will set course for Delta Centauri, which is just inside Ilwrath space. Interplanetary Sensors are on full alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Aug 7, 2155 - Delta Centauri

We have arrived on the outskirts of Delta Centauri, a yellow star very similar to our sun. There are 8 planets but Long-Range Sensors show none of them to be gas giants:

Planet 1 - Small Green
Planet 2 - Medium Cyan
Planet 3 - Medium Green
Planet 4 - Small Green
Planet 5 - Small Blue
Planet 6 - Small Yellow
Planet 7 - Medium Green
Planet 8 - Small Purple

We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 6-3-1-4-2-5-7-8

We will set a course for the 6th planet. Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Aug 8, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 6

Sensors are calling this world a Treasure World, and what a treasure it is! It's as if the outer crust of the planet split open and its core spit out many deposits of precious metals on the surface...for me! No atmosphere or weather with a low temperature (-193° C). There were occasional earthquakes, but we were able to retrieve all of the deposits of palladium, platinum, silver and gold without incident.

We will now set a course for the 3rd planet. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Aug 9, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 3

This particular world is a Reduction (or Redux) World. It has no atmosphere, but it does have class 5 tectonics. Its gravity is also close to Earth's, so using the Lander will consume 2 units per trip, meaning it will take 10 units of any corrosives we gather to pay for each visit.

Supplemental:

It took 3 trips to retrieve all deposits of Iodine, Chlorine, Sulfur and other corrosive elements for a total of 157 units.

We will set course for the 1st planet. Captain out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 am

Captain's Log - Aug 9, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 1

Since it will only use 0.2 units of fuel to gather some common minerals on this Cyanic World, I went ahead and approved sending down the Lander because the conditions on its surface are good. Each of the 2 trips brought home 50 units of cyanoacetylenes for a total of 100.

We will set course for the 4th planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Aug 11, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 4

We have discovered a new type of planet, a Halide World. Along with the presence of halides that one would expect (such as bromides, chlorides, iodides, fluorides, or any other corrosive compound that ends in "ide") there are also some radioactive minerals on the surface. This planet has no atmosphere, and thus a low temperature (-179° C) and no weather. It is very small (0.01) with a slight gravity (0.15) that will use 0.3 units of fuel per trip to gather its 6 deposits of corrosives and 4 deposits of radioactives.

Supplemental:

We were able to gather all of the corrosives and radioactives in 2 trips, almost 100 units total.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Aug 12, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 2, Moon 1

As we approached the 2nd planet, short-range sensors showed it has one moon, so we altered course and entered its orbit. Upon scanning the surface, planetary show it to be a Radioactive World, with no atmosphere but class 3 tectonics, and, of course, radioactive elements. While finishing the autoscan, the biological scanners indicate this to be a lifebearing world with loads of lifeforms! What an astonishing discovery! Knowing that we will have to use the Lander's stunner to capture the lifeforms and hopefully trade them for credits with the Melnorme, we will first gather up all of the minerals from the surface so we don't accidentally blast them into irretrievable fragments while attempting to stun the lifeforms. This of course while dodging seismic activity and making the most of each 1.5 fuel-gulping visit.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

We have just returned from our first visit to the surface. As soon as we landed, we were attacked by large swarms of very large, bee-like creatures. I activated the time portal and informed the landing party of this danger and sent the Lander back down. This time, armed with this new information, they were more successful and retrieved a good portion of radioactives by staying on the move, which helped avoid earthquakes ahead of them and keep bee swarms behind them.

We will dispatch the Lander again. Captain out.

Supplemental:

We will able to obtain many more of the radioactives, but we will have to dispatch the Lander a 3rd time to get all of them before we can focus our attention on the 3 different lifeforms on the surface. Along with the swarms of bees, there are also slow-moving radial tentacled creatures and very swift-moving green uniocular biped creatures. At first I thought the green ones were primitive Spathi!

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

Now that the radioactives have been retrieved, the landing party can now focus their efforts on stunning and retrieving the biologicals from the surface. The plan is to stun all of them, get as many as possible, and then return for the rest. Fortunately, the Lander deploys a capturing lifeform stasis module immediately after a lifeform is rendered incapacitated. It kind of reminds me of Pokémon... and we "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Sending down the Lander. Captain out.

Supplemental:

After using the time portal a few times after earthquakes and lifeforms killed some of the landing team, we were able to retrieve all of the bee-like creatures by allowing them to chase us and turn 180° and fire on the swarms from a safe distance. Also, the large radial tentacled creatures have proven to be lethal as well, and they take many hits to subdue, but the quick but harmless green bipeds only take 2 shots but fill up the Lander's capacity quickly; they are obviously biologically more complex.

We will once again send down the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

I felt like what they used to call a "cowboy" rounding up all of those lifeforms running around. And boy can they run! -- They are even faster than our Lander! After blasting the remaining blue tentacled creatures, we shifted focus to the green ones. And they knew it! It's amazing how they can maintain perfect balance without any arms and only two legs, which protrude out of from under their abdomens directly to the side, allowing them to perform a fast-paced shuffling-like motion. After gathering as much as the Lander could hold, we stayed on the surface and stunned the rest while staying wary of the seismic shocks that would unexpectedly pop up in front of us.

We will return to the surface and gather the remaining lifeforms. Captain out.

Supplemental:

We retrieved the remaining lifeforms without any problems on the surface.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 am

Captain's Log - Aug 12, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 2

This is what planetary sensors are calling a Xenolithic World, which appears cyan from space. "Xenolithic" seems to imply that this world probably went through a molten stage where magma seeped out and enveloped other surrounding rocks and later cooled and hardened. A more simplistic explanation would be to use Greek to break it down to its basic meaning of "Strange Rock", which would accurately fit the description of this planet as well, for it looks strange indeed. It has almost a full G in gravity, so it will take 2 units of fuel to attempt to gather up all of its precious metals while avoiding class 4 tectonics.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.

Supplemental:

The 4 deposits of platinum weren't very big, but they were more than enough to pay for the trip, and we had room to pick up the aluminum as well.

We will set course for the 5th planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Aug 13, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 5

We found a descent Noble World with xenon, argon and radon, whereas some of its 9 deposits were only 1 units in size, but we brought home a total of 40 units of noble gases.

We will set course for the 7th planet. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Aug 14, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 7, Moon 2

As we approached the 7th planet, SRS show it to have 2 moons: 1 purple and 1 green.

So we altered course for the 2nd moon, a Chondrite World with no atmosphere, 0.35 gravity and class 6 tectonics. It used 0.7 units of fuel to travel there, but the 2 trips to get 100 units of common minerals we got might be worth it...unless we eventually throw them out the airlock to make room for more valuable ones down the road!

We will set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Aug 14, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 7

This is not your typical Primordial World, at least not according to the ship's computer's description, which uses the term "primordial" to relate to Earth's condition during her infancy. The dense, thick atmosphere of CO2 should be producing a very hot environment, but the distance of 10.9 au has yielded the opposite of -198° C. It does have an abundance of base metals, but the ground shakes without ceasing (class 8 tectonics), so landing will be impossible.

We will set course for the other moon. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Aug 14, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 7, Moon 1

Another Halide World, but this icy greenish-white world only has halides, but 13 deposits of them; no radioactives this time, without an atmosphere and calm conditions. After sending down the Lander 3 times, we were able to get all of the corrosive halides from the surface.

We will set course for the 8th and final planet in this system. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Aug 15, 2155 - Delta Centauri, Planet 8

The first Super-Dense World we could've landed on, but it's not even worth it. Like the 7th planet, it's so far from its primary (14.5 au) that its thick atmosphere (2.16 atm) is unable to keep the temperature above -208° C. The weather is fair and class 5 tectonics are reasonably avoidable, but using 1.4 units of fuel is certainly not worth 1 lousy deposit of base metals.

We will set course for Alpha Centauri System to do some business with the Melnorme and see if they're interested in the lifeforms we found. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:13 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: ...but the quick but harmless green bipeds only take 2 shots but fill up the Lander's capacity quickly; they are obviously biologically more complex.
Ah yes, I love those little green guys! :D So much valuable bio data; should get a good price for the Melnorme. :)

I guess they must have more densely packed DNA or something. It's possible; I seem to remember reading somewhere that fruit flies have more chromosomes than humans, for example. (Or was that houseflies?) It doesn't explain why they take up more room in the lander, but I'm not complaining. :P

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:29 am

Tormuse wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: ...but the quick but harmless green bipeds only take 2 shots but fill up the Lander's capacity quickly; they are obviously biologically more complex.
Ah yes, I love those little green guys! :D So much valuable bio data; should get a good price for the Melnorme. :)

I guess they must have more densely packed DNA or something. It's possible; I seem to remember reading somewhere that fruit flies have more chromosomes than humans, for example. (Or was that houseflies?) It doesn't explain why they take up more room in the lander, but I'm not complaining. :P
This brings up an interesting point. Do you actually capture the organism? Or are you just subduing it until you've got the data. The Melnorme only want "biological data." So if you're capturing the poor things, what do the melnorme do with them once they've got the data?

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 am

Ooh, I know what they remind me of! The Yorps from Commander Keen! :D
Maloo Oture wrote:This brings up an interesting point. Do you actually capture the organism? Or are you just subduing it until you've got the data. The Melnorme only want "biological data." So if you're capturing the poor things, what do the melnorme do with them once they've got the data?
Good question. I seem to recall that there's a line of dialogue somewhere that suggests that you're capturing the life forms and bringing them back to the ship with you, but it sure would make a lot more sense in a lot of ways if you're just stunning them, collecting data, and releasing them for the following reasons:

1) It would explain why there's so much disparity in how much space they take up which doesn't seem to have any connection with their physical size.

2) It would explain why there's a limit to how much the lander can carry, (I guess the lander has a smaller computer?) but there's no limit to how much the Vindicator can carry, regardless of what modules you have. (You can carry lots even if you have no living and/or storage space)

3) And well... the idea that you're taking all of these animals permanently from their homes just seems too cruel to contemplate. It isn't evidence per se, but I just prefer the idea that you're studying them and releasing them. :)

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Tormuse wrote:I seem to recall that there's a line of dialogue somewhere that suggests that you're capturing the life forms and bringing them back to the ship with you
I do believe you are referring to the fact that, during The Captain's communications with the Spathi, said Captain can say "You know, those creatures aren't dead. We have them in suspended animation. How would you like for us to return them to the surface?" as a way to make the Spathi actually honor their promise of an alliance in a timely fashion. Then again, it may very well be a bluff, so one can't know for sure how things work.

I also can't seem to quite remember whether or not the "for" a few words before returning to the surface was there or not, so the quote may not be 100% accurate.
Last edited by Quasispatial on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Dude! Spoiler tag this before Trog sees it!
Last edited by Maloo Oture on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.