About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:16 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - March 22, 2155 (Save Game 14)

Upon approaching Jupiter, SRS show it has 4 moons.

We will set course for the outermost moon and work our way inward. Zelnick out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - March 24, 2155 (Save Game 15)

We have entered Callisto's orbit and scanners reveal it be devoid of minerals.

We will now set a course for the 3rd moon. Captain out.
Captain's Log - March 24, 2155 (Save Game 16)

We have entered Ganymede's orbit and scanners show it has 6 deposits of common minerals. Beggars can't be choosers.

We will now dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 17)

After sending down the Lander twice, we gathered the 100 units of common minerals.

We will now set a course for the 2nd moon. Captain out.
Captain's Log - March 25, 2155 (Save Game 18)

We have entered Europo's orbit and scanners show 5 deposits of corrosive, and 4 deposits of radioactive minerals. Finally, a planet with some good minerals!

We will now dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I suspect you can coarse-grain it a little more than that, or at least condense and reduce the headers/footers?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Death 999 wrote:I suspect you can coarse-grain it a little more than that, or at least condense and reduce the headers/footers?
I agree. So far, I've been posting my log entries exactly how they appear in my logbook.

I think in the future, I'll start posting log summaries of each solar system instead of each planet, since much of exploration is probably going to be monotonous planet surveying and mining expeditions. I'll still have my own records with the same format I'm currently doing, I'll just be doing more consolidation to have a condensed and summarized log system, which should be much easier to follow and not be so tedious and mundane.

Of course any of the more pertinent encounters with aliens and any other unknowns will receive more attention and log entries will reflect accordingly. It's a good recommendation, just bear with me until I leave the Sol system. I'm still building this plane as I fly it.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:05 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 19)

We sent the Lander twice, and picked up 45 units of bromine (corrosive) and 40 units of astatine (radioactive).

We will now set a course for the 1st moon. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Mar 25, 2155 (Save Game 20)

We have entered Io's orbit and the bright reddish planet surface makes it difficult to determine if its surface is littered with 12 deposits of corrosive or radioactive minerals. Either way, we're getting them, but sensors also show Class 4 Techtonics, so we have to ready to avoid any massive earthquakes while on the surface.

We will now dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 21)

We had to send the Lander down 4 times to gather all of the mineral deposits from the surface, while dodging very dangerous earthquakes, but it was well worth the effort! All 12 deposits were radium, thorium, or other radioactive minerals! 147 units in total. We only have 48 units free in the cargo hold now.

We will set a course for Jupiter. Zelnick out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Captain's Log - Mar 25, 2155 (Save Game 22)

We have entered Jupiter's orbit. It's a massive gas planet and therefore sensors have determined it unsafe for landing. I attempted to land anyway, but onboard safety protocols won’t even allow the Lander to be dispatched.

We will now set a course for Saturn. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Mar 29, 2155 (Save Game 23)

Upon approaching Saturn, SRS show 1 green moon around it, so we altered course and have entered Titan's orbit. We have scanned the surface and have found 9 deposits of base metals. Sensors also show Class 3 Weather conditions, so the landing party will have to be alert and watch out for electrical storms!

We will now send the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 24)

After sending down the Lander, it was almost immediately struck by lightning, killing 3 of my crew! I used the time portal to go back to the point when we first entered orbit and tried again. This time, after gathering a few minerals, lightning struck again, killing several crew members again! How frustrating! I went through the time portal again, and figured this would be my last attempt. After the Lander managed to obtain 4 of the 9 deposits, I quickly brought it back up and locked in another time portal to save our progress. We now only have 7 units free, so we will return to Titan after we offload our minerals at Starbase and further upgrade the ship.

We will now set a course for Starbase. Captain out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Apr 3, 2155 (Save Game 25)

After making it back to Starbase, Commander Hayes informed me that our deep-space monitoring team detected a signal coming from the whereabouts of Uranus (insert joke here), or somewhere in that direction, but it's definitely in our solar system and could be a Hierarchy spy. Oh no! I hope there aren't more Ilwrath Avengers (or worse) waiting to ambush us!

After listening to Commander Hayes assessment, I decided to add additional antimatter thrusters (now up to 7 pairs) and turning jets (now up to 5 pairs). Hayes concurred, and said we should now focus more on weapons, dynamo, and of course, more minerals.

We are going to finish up exploring the remainder of the solar system in search of more minerals, while keeping a lookout for any Ur-Quan threats that could be in the solar system. Since we've explored most of the system already, the emanations that were detected are likely coming from either Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto. Inter-Planetary Long-Range Sensors (IPLRS) will be on full alert for any approaching vessels.

We will now set a course for Saturn and return to Titan. We are now at Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Captain's Log - Apr 6, 2155 (Save Game 26)

Upon nearing Saturn, we noticed our approach to it was closer than Titan, so we altered course and entered Saturn's orbit. It's another gas giant, so we can't land.

We'll now set a course for Titan. We are still at Yellow Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Apr 7, 2155 (Save Game 27)

We have just entered Titan's orbit. The 6 remaining base metal deposits are still down there waiting for us.

We will now send the Lander to retrieve the minerals. Maintain Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 28)

After using the time loop after losing a single crew member, the 2nd attempt brought home the goods without incident!

We will now set a course for Uranus (don’t forget to insert the funny joke this time). We are still at Yellow Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Apr 11, 2155 (Save Game 29)

After leaving Saturn's orbit, sensors show Neptune to be closer, so we altered course and proceeded toward Neptune, and have entered orbit of Neptune's moon, Triton. Sensors showed it to have 4 deposits of base metals and 1 small deposit of common minerals and we’ve retrieved them.

We will now set a course for Neptune. We are still at Yellow Alert. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Apr 12, 2155 (Save Game 30)

I considered bypassing Neptune altogether, since I've noticed that the SRS show me when a planet is a gas planet by displaying it differently than regular, giving it less color around the center, but considering the Ur-Quan threat could be anywhere, I entered orbit anyway. Same results. Nothing on a sensor sweep, and unable to land.

We will set a course for Uranus, the planet Hayes made reference to possibly being the origin of the signal they picked up. Maintain Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Apr 17, 2155 (Save Game 31)

We have just spent several days traveling across the solar system and have finally entered Uranus' orbit. Another gas planet. No Ur-Quan either; maybe we should consider ourselves fortunate.

We will now set a course for Pluto. We are still at Yellow Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Apr 20, 2155 (Save Game 32)

We have just entered Pluto's orbit, which IPLRS had some difficulty picking up, but we found it. We scanned the surface and immediately noticed the presence of exotic minerals! But even more important, the energy scanners picked up an object in the lower western hemisphere. This must be what Commander Hayes' team must have been picking up on their scanners! What could it be? Could it be another base, similar to the one on the Moon? Could it be another Ilwrath Avenger, but with full cloak and crew? I dread the thought! We will have our answer shortly.

We will now dispatch the Lander to the surface to investigate. We are now going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 am

/me begins quivering with anticipation

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:02 am

oh dear.. prepare the space coffins.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Ah, things are finally starting to pick up. 8)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 33)

I sent the Lander down into the southern location to first retrieve the exotic minerals, just in case they were somehow being used to power the nearby energy source. After picking up the 5 units of Tzo Crystals, the Lander headed west to investigate the energy reading. Upon approaching, sensors clearly showed it to be a Spathi Eluder! I ordered the landing party to proceed with caution, and to not fire on the ship unless fired upon. Moments later, I received a mayday that they've been attacked and 8 crew are dead! They returned fire, but their weapons were useless against the Spathi ship.

After the Lander returned, I found myself face to face with Fwiffo, the Captain of the Spathi ship. Before I could even respond, Fwiffo was already exhibiting signs of fear and panic, quickly revealing the coordinates of Spathiwa, the Spathi Homeworld (241.6, 368.7), which would place it in the Epsilon Gruis System. Understanding some of the Spathi's cowardly but dangerous nature, I maintained a forceful but not overly hostile posture during our encounter, I felt friendliness was not appropriate during these first moments of tension; after all, 8 of my crew are now dead. Keeping with the idea that my hand was still near the trigger button, I recommended that they prepare themselves for death, and after Fwiffo stalled, I suggested more urgency. When he explained his death ritual must be performed at the moon around Spathiwa, I said we could go there and asked him for coordinates. The intense anxiety during the first few seconds of our conversation caused Fwiffo to fail remembering giving us the coordinates already, and then pretended to not remember them!

I asked about Pluto and why they were there, but instead I got a long drawn out story about Earth being conquered, and how a contingent of Ilwrath and Spathi ships were stationed on Luna to keep watch on Earth. The Ilwrath soon departed and the Spathi gradually moved away further and further from Earth, eventually all the way to Pluto, after rigging up the automated Moon Base we've already encountered, and even began sending Spathi ships home, one by one, until only this one ship remained. After trying to convince me the enormity of his crew and the power his ship, Fwiffo swiftly reverted back to his cowardice and admitted that now, having drawn the short end of the stick, has been left here all alone, his crew, I assume, have all hitched rides aboard other vessels to get back home, just in case The Ultimate Evil shows up. The Spathi’s paranoia is not only their greatest weakness, but their greatest strength as well. This Ultimate Evil must be an idea in their heads, seeing as how they've never actually seen it, but they’ve convinced themselves that in itself is proof of its existence.

Fwiffo also mentioned that the Ur-Quan conquered the Yehat, and they now fight as combat thralls. I hope that's not true. When Fwiffo mentioned how the Syreen were conquered and encased in a slave shield in something sounding like the BugSquirt System, I got a little confused. After our dialogue, I probed my starmap and have concluded in all likelihood, he was actually referring to the Betelgeuse System. Yes, "Beetlejuice!" Thank you Mr. Keaton. The Shofixti apparantly performed a solar-system-sized version of Divine Wind, by way of a specialized glory_device, which caused their sun to go supernova and destroyed many Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts, but possibly the entire Shofixti race in the process as well! I wonder if any Shofixti are left? I hope so.

After giving me his life story, filled with his childhood background, his dreams and aspirations, and the unfortunate circumstance that brought him to this point in his life, Fwiffo finally agreed to join my fleet. We warned that other Spathi would probably not be as eager to align forces with us. I don’t as of yet completely trust Fwiffo, but I’m hoping that after we return to base, having him completely surrounded by 29 Human crew members aboard the StarRunner will keep him in check while he earns my trust.

We will now set a course for Starbase. Stand down Red Alert - Condition: Green. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------