Former Putin Advisor Warns: Finland, Sooner Or Later

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Former Putin Advisor Warns: Finland, Sooner Or Later

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Maloo Oture wrote:All religions are wrong. There is no god. Just life and the universe. Fighting over why it's here, or how, is really very stupid.
While it's true that fighting over religion is stupid, doesn't mean that you're Atheistic belief has any more meaning than my Christian belief.
Angelfish wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:And then, the 'small war' - Europe style appeared...
Humanity has moved far beyond that. Peace is no longer a realistic option. This will be Total Annihilation.
Mutually assured destruction. God forbid.
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial »

Angelfish wrote:
Humanity has moved far beyond that. Peace is no longer a realistic option. This will be Total Annihilation.
Let's hope we can atleast get to colonising Mars before we blow up Earth...
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Quasispatial wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Let's hope we can atleast get to colonising Mars before we blow up Earth...
Nope, the universe is better off without us.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Angelfish wrote:yeah that's what they teach Zionists, to be hateful cowards instead of evolving as a race beyond this.
While you may or may not have a point, it's a bit of a derail from the original topic. For the record, I'm interested in the opinions of Finns (even Fennoswedes!), or others in the region, on whether there is a realistic threat from russia over the next while.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Bleeding Star wrote:
Angelfish wrote:yeah that's what they teach Zionists, to be hateful cowards instead of evolving as a race beyond this.
While you may or may not have a point, it's a bit of a derail from the original topic. For the record, I'm interested in the opinions of Finns (even Fennoswedes!), or others in the region, on whether there is a realistic threat from russia over the next while.
No there isn't. It's a whipped up story to scare you guys.
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

While it's true that fighting over religion is stupid, doesn't mean that you're Atheistic belief has any more meaning than my Christian belief.
Atheistisc DISbelief. I don't believe in anything without evidence. And I didn't claim it does have more meaning. Just that religions are wrong. In my opinion. You're entitled to believe whatever you want. And so I am I. ;D-smf
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Bleeding Star wrote:
It's not. Ukraine is a big country, but it suffers the unfortunate combination of both being alone and having a large Russian minority that isn't hostile to a Russian takeover. There's no easily defined part of Finland where you could get a independence vote going like on Crimea.

As for a military takeover, unlike the Ukraine we're part of the EU. I guess it's marginally more possible than a takeover of Alaska, but only just. Russian troops on EU soil would quickly balloon into a huge clusterfuck, with a lot of eastern european EU members pretty eager to go into all out war and most western European countries unable to stand by while the union was being dismantled.

The Russians are assholes who can do pretty much whatever they want in their own backyard. But I don't think the guys in charge are crazy yet. Give it 20 years and maybe things will change. But right now there's no risk of Russian boots on the ground in Finland. It might push us into NATO though, mostly just to spite them.

Also, Maloo Orture, if you want to equate atheistic disbelief with religious belief that's fine I guess. But discussions like these go easier if you lead with "In my opinion..." instead of starting out like your opinion is a hard fact. Same thing goes for both sides there really, being courteous is worth a lot IMO.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Maloo Oture wrote:
Atheistisc DISbelief. I don't believe in anything without evidence. And I didn't claim it does have more meaning. Just that religions are wrong. In my opinion. You're entitled to believe whatever you want. And so I am I. ;D-smf
Religious and non-religious people believe in and want the same things. Start focussing on the similarities we have instead of on the differences, and the world will be a better place.
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

Yes. You're all right. I usually state my lack belief as fact just to get people thinking. No hard feelings meant anywhere.

Haha. Angelfish, I can never tell what page you're on! :) But what you said is true. Similarities.

And as for Ukraine: My boyfriend is Ukrainian. He always tell me not to say "the Ukraine". He says it's just "Ukraine". It's minor, but I found that interesting.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Maloo Oture wrote:Yes. You're all right. I usually state my lack belief as fact just to get people thinking. No hard feelings meant anywhere.

Haha. Angelfish, I can never tell what page you're on! :) But what you said is true. Similarities.

And as for Ukraine: My boyfriend is Ukrainian. He always tell me not to say "the Ukraine". He says it's just "Ukraine". It's minor, but I found that interesting.
for him it's ukraine but for english people it's 'the ukraine' ;). just the same as we sasy 'nederland' but you say 'the netherlands'.
We also say 'de krim' but english people say 'crimea' and russian people say.. well I don't know, I don't speak russian.