Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Groombridge Log part IV - and the whole book - completed
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:24 pm 
Orz *camper*

It took me two years, but my first novel is now finally finished.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridge_Log_Part_IV.pdf

So what happens next?

I have a dream of getting this thing published and printed. The first thing will be getting in touch with Fred Ford and Paul Reiche. The next step is up to them. At the very least I will make a few copies of it with my own funds for my personal use.

If any of you have some good ideas or tips on what I should do with it, I'd like to hear them. I'd also like to hear what you think of the story.

Read and enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Groombridge Log part IV - and the whole book - completed
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:47 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Great! That's an awesome accomplishment! I've been quietly following along and I love it! Great work!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

This was an awesome read!
I'm somewhat uncertain about one thing - is part 4 supposed to be last chapter, or you plan to finish the story with the Sa-Matra?
I hope that Fred and Paul will be OK. See no reason not to. It would be "fair use", as this is your interpretation based on their creation, not a copy. In same fashion that it is fair use to upload and monetize let's plays on the net.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:40 am 
Orz *camper*

Alvarin wrote:
I'm somewhat uncertain about one thing - is part 4 supposed to be last chapter, or you plan to finish the story with the Sa-Matra?

If the story continues, it will continue in a second book. It depends on my time, motivation and inspiration.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:25 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Well I wish you the best of all three! I really enjoyed the story and your writing style.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 am 
Silly Supox

Alvarin wrote:
I hope that Fred and Paul will be OK. See no reason not to. It would be "fair use", as this is your interpretation based on their creation, not a copy. In same fashion that it is fair use to upload and monetize let's plays on the net.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. Current copyright monopoly law in most countries does not allow the public distribution of anything that would be considered a "derivative work" of an "original" creation, UNLESS you're making fun of it (which is why Mystery Science Theater 3000 is legal). The following books were censored (or prevented from being published) for similar reasons:
http://questioncopyright.org/salinger_censors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_ ... ion_status

Technically most non-commercial fan fiction is illegal as well. The only reason people don't get sued for it more often is because it takes too much effort for too little reward (plus bad publicity). Legally though, yes, non-commercial fan-fiction authors absolutely are breaking copyright law, unless their work is a parody (that is, unless it comments on the original work by mocking it. If it comments on the original work not by mockery but by more serious methods, then it's illegal).

Sorry for the dose of reality. I do hope that Fred and Paul give the okay for this project. (I also hope that the Peeru fanfic gets finished one day...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:12 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Was just going to remark, but saw Niffiwan beat me to it. Let's Plays are allowed to stay up solely by the graces of the original copyright owners. In fact, Nintendo went to court to argue this very point, and the courts sided with them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:22 pm 
Orz *camper*

Does anyone have any idea on how I could contact Fred Ford and Paul Reiche? I can't find any contact information anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Looks like Paul has a Tweeter account, linked in Wikipedia and lots of addressed tweets, but navigating to actual profile yields an error...
https://twitter.com/search?q=PaulReiche3

EDIT:
Apparently, his daughter has an active account (@ariannareiche) and is in correspondence with Anthony (‏@starcontroller), but I am not certain contacting them would be appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 am 
Ilwrath torturer

You might ask Frogboy. He seems to be in contact with them.