Mod star control

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Mod star control

Post by gtb2002 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 am

I want to mod star control can someone help me
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Mod star control

Post by oldlaptop » Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 am

Unfortunately modifying UQM is not very easy. As of yet the game doesn't easily support simple data 'mods', all currently extant 'mods' are actually *forks* of the UQM code, so you would have to be able to understand and modify the game's source code to do anything. I strongly recommend you learn how to program in some other language (Python is a good choice) *before* trying to do this, for reasons I explain here: http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?top ... 5#msg70905
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:10 am

Well I want to get a job a as a programmer better now than later
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

I recommend this gentleman: http://www.computerscienceforeveryone.com/. I personally simply googled "how to write code" when I started, but there are better ways to do it.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm

gtb2002 wrote:Well I want to get a job a as a programmer better now than later
Do you know C/C++? I'd learn that first. If you want a job as a programmer you should learn how to really program.
If you just want to do it as a hobby (or just make 2D games), you can learn the basics of game programming using something like Multi-Media Fusion.

I'd love to have you help us on UQM-HD, or Project 6014. But we need people who can read the code. The UQM source code has almost zero comments in it. Not for beginners, I'm afraid.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 am

dczanik wrote:
Do you know C/C++? I'd learn that first. If you want a job as a programmer you should learn how to really program.
Having done some teaching in programming, I'm afraid I have to disagree. Few people recommend learning C first these days. Python is better for taking baby steps and helping the student learn the ideas of computer executing instructions line-by-line, as well as teaching the basics of functions and algorithms. After that has been understood it's easier to dive in a lower level language.

However, OP asked about modding UQM so a good C tutorial might be good.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 pm

I would honestly have to strongly recommend that nobody actually use UQM modding as a first project. Fred Ford clearly knew what he was doing very well when he was putting SC2 together, and knew just how he could get away with violating best practices without causing serious problems (as evidenced by the fact that UQM is constructed in a way that you'd expect it to leak memory like a sieve, but it in fact doesn't). Since brand-new programmers aren't experienced enough to do things this way without causing big problems, UQM is... not a good example.
Netmelee Improvement Mod

PatronGOP
Silly Supox

Post by PatronGOP » Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Gekko wrote:
dczanik wrote:
Having done some teaching in programming, I'm afraid I have to disagree. Few people recommend learning C first these days. Python is better for taking baby steps and helping the student learn the ideas of computer executing instructions line-by-line, as well as teaching the basics of functions and algorithms. After that has been understood it's easier to dive in a lower level language.

However, OP asked about modding UQM so a good C tutorial might be good.
I bounced all over the place when I first started learning. Biggest hang up I ran into was in transitioning from weakly typed scripting languages to Strongly typed programing languages. I have no experience in Python but as a learning tool I can recommend processing: http://www.processing.org/

It's strongly typed (which is nice for forming good habits), has a very user friendly IDE, and (since it is really just a core of libraries for JAVA) transitions seamlessly into JAVA when you're ready to take on lower level stuff. Then again, like Gekko said, might be best to learn the language of the product you are trying to MOD. Maybe just look at this other stuff if you find yourself overwhelmed.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm

oldlaptop wrote:(as evidenced by the fact that UQM is constructed in a way that you'd expect it to leak memory like a sieve, but it in fact doesn't)
Could you elaborate on this?

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 am

Death 999 wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:(as evidenced by the fact that UQM is constructed in a way that you'd expect it to leak memory like a sieve, but it in fact doesn't)
Could you elaborate on this?
The code absolutely lives on pointers, everywhere. Ships in melee (for instance) have important data which is handled through pointers-to-structs-containing-pointers-to-structs that get tossed around like footballs. I'd expect there to be loads of potential memory leaks buried in there if someone non-brilliant had put that together, but there aren't. (The code breaks with good practice in general in all sorts of ways - plenty of global and file scope variables, gotos here and there... and gets away with it.)
Netmelee Improvement Mod