Progress in Star Control II

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by sakalava47 »

Yes, the Beast is definitely recognizable... I would call him a Beauty.
palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste »

jello wrote:As I recall the Beast will just show up as another lifeform. It isn't the only one on the planet, but you will know which one it is as soon as you see it :lol:

The fleet will show up as an energy signal when you find the right planet
OK, I will keep trying to find them. The only trouble is, now that the Kohr-Ah are on their killing spree, Admiral ZEX is probably dead by the time I find the creature. I don't know if the same counts for the Syreen. But if the game seems to be unwinnable, I can always start a new game and progress faster, now that I already know how to proceed up to this point.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Just so you know, not all of the "quests" in the game are required to complete the game.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste »

I think I have found the beast in the Lyncis system. It's the one that looks like the "locked topic" icon on this board, right? It was the only unique creature I could find. That Admiral ZEX offered no clue about its appearance didn't exactly help. The trouble is, the Kohr-Ah have already killed the VUX, so Admiral ZEX is probably dead too. I'll have to try it again in another playthrough. I still haven't found the Syreen fleet though, and I have visited nearly every red and orange star within 200 coordinates from Betelgeuse.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Following this, you should have been able to find it by now:
Death 999 wrote:You're right about it the HS units being the same as the coordinates.

You can narrow it down a lot by supposing:
1) It's nearly 200 HS units
2) It's not with any battle thralls, as they might pull shenanigans
3) It's not out in the middle of nowhere - this is something they might want to check on from time to time.
But yeah, if ZEX is dead and you don't even have the syreen ships yet, you're doomed. Load an old save or start afresh - and keep track of every hint.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Yes, keep track of every hint! A few things in the game are only hinted at once or twice, and if you miss them, you might never figure it out.

Basically, whenever someone mentions a star system, write it down. Whenever someone mentions an item, write it down.

Also, based on what I've read, you haven't even met all of the races in the game... namely, the Supox. I won't tell you where to find them but you definitely need to find them in order to complete the game.
palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste »

Dyandod wrote:Yes, keep track of every hint! A few things in the game are only hinted at once or twice, and if you miss them, you might never figure it out.

Basically, whenever someone mentions a star system, write it down. Whenever someone mentions an item, write it down.

Also, based on what I've read, you haven't even met all of the races in the game... namely, the Supox. I won't tell you where to find them but you definitely need to find them in order to complete the game.
I don't have to write things down - I just have to press the PrtSc key and my operating system will make a PNG image of the entire screen, including the DOSBox window containing Star Control II. But yes, the Supox seem to be almost the only race I haven't met yet. I'm pretty sure the only other races I haven't met are the Chenjesu (I know where their homeworld is, but it's beneath an Ur-Quan slave shield so I can't make contact with them), and the Mmmnrhmm or however you spell it. I've read on-line and found out inside the game that these two races are somehow being fused into one single race, but I haven't found them either. I think I have met pretty much every other race. As for now I don't need more hints about their locations. I'll try to salvage what's left of this certainly doomed attempt at a playthrough and use that information when I start a new one.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Writing it, you can make an index, and it's on paper so you can look at it without having to shuffle windows around. Paper beats screenshots for the most part.
(I know where their homeworld is, but it's beneath an Ur-Quan slave shield so I can't make contact with them)
Try anyway. Act like they're foreigners and you only know English. Maybe it'll work this time.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Death 999 wrote:Try anyway. Act like they're foreigners and you only know English. Maybe it'll work this time.
??????
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

Be LOUD.