StarDiver :: Back from the dead

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

friken
Orz *camper*

StarDiver :: Back from the dead

Post by friken » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I started this project over 2 years ago and enjoyed sharing ideas here but due to life and other work I'm just now getting back to it. It is a family affair... wife on art, son on music and learning to code  w/ me.

StarDiver - The goal is to revive my personal favorite genre, the space opera! By mixing favorite aspects of classics like StarFlight, Star Control, SunDog, Universe2, and Tradewars, I hope to bring what I loved as a kid to the current generation. Quirky aliens, arcade space battles, planetary mining, and adventure around the galaxy -- should keep us busy developing for a while.

Lofty goal, so here we go.... Every sci-fi game has to start with motivational alien character art:

I've started with early prototyping three of the modes (Numberous tweaks since the project was shelved 2 years ago).

Combat:

Planetary Mining:

System Navigation:

Live VERY EARLY combat demo:

Controls: Arrowkeys or WASD for forward/back/strafe and ship follows mouse cursor. right-click fire
Ship: SunDagger, dive through the star to recharge laser energy. Dive through center to pull plasma to launch at the enemy with right mouse button.
Death: right now the ship that dies just vanishes. ALT-F4 to close if you run fullscreen (no menu ui to exit)

Webplayer REZ 1600x900:
http://www.gravityride.com/testbuilds/StarDiver-Melee/

More info (very outdated, but will update soon):
http://www.gravityride.com

All input welcome!

friken
Orz *camper*

Re: StarDiver :: Back from the dead

Post by friken » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Yesterday's progress felt good. My biggest worry about the project was figuring out how to turn 2d, sketched by hand, art into usable game assets. I'm feeling a bit better about that today. Without spending too much time, I did a rough sprite cut up of our first alien and took a stab at an idle animation. I'm fairly pleased with the result, but look forward to getting better at animation and finding tools that have tweening/ease-in movement. My wife sketched up a bridge mockup for the race... I look forward to seeing it get colored so I can start working on a dialog tree system.

First go at alien idle-animation (it loops perfectly, however I'm not sure how to sync the video capture to a single play through so the gif doesn't loop):

Here is the current sketch of the bridge scene awaiting color and refinement:

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes! This is what i always wanted! A family project of a such amazing game! I love the art style and concept! :D
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:25 pm

How does that race manipulate tools with those arms?

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 pm

ThriveDev wrote:Yes! This is what i always wanted! A family project of a such amazing game! I love the art style and concept! :D
Thanks for the kind words! It really does help motivation.

Draxas wrote:How does that race manipulate tools with those arms?
What arms? Those are reproductive organs. :shock:

We don't have all the story, race backgrounds etc nailed down yet. Putting a little thought to it -- maybe telekinetic, those toes on feet, digital interface through the monocle. There's always ways with aliens since there are no limits to imagination.

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Today's animation effort:

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:38 am

friken wrote:Today's animation effort:

Wow! That is cool!
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

My son has finished tweaking the first couple songs for the game. I'm biased so feedback please :?:

Hyperspace
Combat

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I love the art to bits!
And the music is great too. I like the combat music especially for the way it pounds my floor with my subwoofer. Puts me in proper combat mood.

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Kwayne wrote:I love the art to bits!
And the music is great too. I like the combat music especially for the way it pounds my floor with my subwoofer. Puts me in proper combat mood.
Thanks for the kind words... always a motivation booster!

I've been told that the screenshots do not do a good job conveying combat, so I recorded some video here:

I tried an animated gif, but with just about every pixel changing every frame of the game it was pretty huge even for a couple seconds. Is there a youtube tag?