HD Planets by Maloo Oture

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture

Post by Maloo Oture » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:25 am

Okay, as promised here are two new worlds!

This time we have the Orz and the Umgah.

What can be said of the Orz. Do they have parties at their playground? Or do they have *parties* at their *playground*?

As for the Umgah, we know they're highly skilled at genetic manipulation and have huge advances in biotechnology. I tried to reflect this in the image.

Orz:
Original:
By Satellite:
From Orbit:

Umgah:
Original:
By Satellite:
From Orbit:

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 am

Hi everybody. Been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since I posted any of my planets, but that's because I've been working really hard on getting the technique squared away. So here's what my planets look like now. Let's start with Spathiwa. Tell me what you think!

Orbit:http://i.imgur.com/H7jNPuJ.jpg
Slave Shielded:http://i.imgur.com/bJRSkO8.jpg
Map:http://i.imgur.com/9XWeWks.jpg

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Those look really nice. Impressive work as always.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Ooooh purty.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm

are these textures procedurally generated like the original ones?

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:17 am

Angelfish wrote:are these textures procedurally generated like the original ones?
They're a direct copy of the procedurally generated maps from the game. The textures are generated using a noise function and then I add rivers using an erosion function. Then I color it and wrap it to a sphere.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:
Angelfish wrote:are these textures procedurally generated like the original ones?
They're a direct copy of the procedurally generated maps from the game. The textures are generated using a noise function and then I add rivers using an erosion function. Then I color it and wrap it to a sphere.
do you mean that you copied the procedural generation function with the same seed (if that's even possible) and colored it according to the sc2 palette mapping functions? because if you have that, you could generate thousands of planet textures using just a random seed ;).

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
do you mean that you copied the procedural generation function with the same seed (if that's even possible) and colored it according to the sc2 palette mapping functions? because if you have that, you could generate thousands of planet textures using just a random seed ;).
No I mean, have screenshots of all the planets I've redone from the ur-quan masters. I enhance them, then I add noise to them, then I add texture and color.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 am

No I mean, have screenshots of all the planets I've redone from the ur-quan masters. I enhance them, then I add noise to them, then I add texture and color.[/quote]

that's too bad ;(. I hoped the procedural generation algorithm would scale to this level.