HD Planets by Maloo Oture

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture

Post by Maloo Oture » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm

glory_device wrote:If I am not mistaken, there will always be two points that will receive far less energy when a planet is rotating around itself. Those points are basically on the center of rotation on both side. So, unless the planet is somehow able to rotate in such a weird way that it changes is rotation axis periodically...then, a colder spot will always occur. Now, depending on the distance to the star, the star output and the atmosphere composition,there will be/there won't be an ice cap on the rotation pole.

That aside, it would be nice to get a planet which the rotation speed make's it geocentric (or almost) compared to the star. The likely result is a planet half ice HALF baren...or something like that.
I've always been fascinated with that idea. I just don't know if that concept would mesh well for a homeworld. Maybe the Thraddash? Perhaps they've fired so many nukes at themselves that the planet experienced serious trauma and started to spin in a geocentric orbit with it's star....

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:39 am

Maloo Oture wrote:
glory_device wrote:If I am not mistaken, there will always be two points that will receive far less energy when a planet is rotating around itself. Those points are basically on the center of rotation on both side. So, unless the planet is somehow able to rotate in such a weird way that it changes is rotation axis periodically...then, a colder spot will always occur. Now, depending on the distance to the star, the star output and the atmosphere composition,there will be/there won't be an ice cap on the rotation pole.

That aside, it would be nice to get a planet which the rotation speed make's it geocentric (or almost) compared to the star. The likely result is a planet half ice HALF baren...or something like that.
I've always been fascinated with that idea. I just don't know if that concept would mesh well for a homeworld. Maybe the Thraddash? Perhaps they've fired so many nukes at themselves that the planet experienced serious trauma and started to spin in a geocentric orbit with it's star....
Or maybe they just caused global warming?
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

ThriveDev wrote:Or maybe they just caused global warming?
I'm not even entirely sure how I want to represent their planet. I mean, surely the planet has gone through some nuclear winters in it's past. I don't know if I should give it a real thick atmosphere or what.... I'll figure it out.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Now that my (extended) weekend is over, I'm back with todays planet: The Ilwrath homeworld!

The Ilwrath are one of the few races in the game that do not inhabit a water world, telluric world, or redux world. So here it is; the primordial world:

Original:
By Satellite:
From Orbit:

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:00 am

Maloo Oture wrote:Now that my (extended) weekend is over, I'm back with todays planet: The Ilwrath homeworld!

The Ilwrath are one of the few races in the game that do not inhabit a water world, telluric world, or redux world. So here it is; the primordial world:

Original:
By Satellite:
From Orbit:
Good work!

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Todays planet is the home of the mysterious Mycon. Through bio-terraforming, the Mycon are able to create perfect worlds for their Deep Children. These worlds are known more commonly as shattered worlds.

Original:
By Satellite:
From Orbit:

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 am

I have to admit, I find the contrast between the land and seas in each of these to be too great. The edges don't seem to flow enough into each other (if you get what I mean).

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am

chenjesuwizard wrote:I have to admit, I find the contrast between the land and seas in each of these to be too great. The edges don't seem to flow enough into each other (if you get what I mean).
Yeah that's true.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:20 pm

I was going to say the same thing about the shattered world. It almost looks like there is a thin layer of rocklike texture with some gaps atop a glowing red ball. That may very well be how you made the model, I don't know, but it's very pronounced here and doesn't look right.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Draxas wrote:I was going to say the same thing about the shattered world. It almost looks like there is a thin layer of rocklike texture with some gaps atop a glowing red ball. That may very well be how you made the model, I don't know, but it's very pronounced here and doesn't look right.
I'm glad you guys are pointing this out. I think this ends up happening when I focus on one aspect. Then I lose sight of the others. :oops:

I'm going to keep going. Tomorrow, I'll try to have two more planets. Once I finish all of them, I plan on making a collage.

Stay Tuned!