Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
glory_device wrote:
If I am not mistaken, there will always be two points that will receive far less energy when a planet is rotating around itself. Those points are basically on the center of rotation on both side. So, unless the planet is somehow able to rotate in such a weird way that it changes is rotation axis periodically...then, a colder spot will always occur. Now, depending on the distance to the star, the star output and the atmosphere composition,there will be/there won't be an ice cap on the rotation pole.

That aside, it would be nice to get a planet which the rotation speed make's it geocentric (or almost) compared to the star. The likely result is a planet half ice HALF baren...or something like that.


I've always been fascinated with that idea. I just don't know if that concept would mesh well for a homeworld. Maybe the Thraddash? Perhaps they've fired so many nukes at themselves that the planet experienced serious trauma and started to spin in a geocentric orbit with it's star....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:39 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
Maloo Oture wrote:
glory_device wrote:
If I am not mistaken, there will always be two points that will receive far less energy when a planet is rotating around itself. Those points are basically on the center of rotation on both side. So, unless the planet is somehow able to rotate in such a weird way that it changes is rotation axis periodically...then, a colder spot will always occur. Now, depending on the distance to the star, the star output and the atmosphere composition,there will be/there won't be an ice cap on the rotation pole.

That aside, it would be nice to get a planet which the rotation speed make's it geocentric (or almost) compared to the star. The likely result is a planet half ice HALF baren...or something like that.


I've always been fascinated with that idea. I just don't know if that concept would mesh well for a homeworld. Maybe the Thraddash? Perhaps they've fired so many nukes at themselves that the planet experienced serious trauma and started to spin in a geocentric orbit with it's star....


Or maybe they just caused global warming?

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
ThriveDev wrote:
Or maybe they just caused global warming?


I'm not even entirely sure how I want to represent their planet. I mean, surely the planet has gone through some nuclear winters in it's past. I don't know if I should give it a real thick atmosphere or what.... I'll figure it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:54 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Now that my (extended) weekend is over, I'm back with todays planet: The Ilwrath homeworld!

The Ilwrath are one of the few races in the game that do not inhabit a water world, telluric world, or redux world. So here it is; the primordial world:

Original:
Image
By Satellite:
Image
From Orbit:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
Maloo Oture wrote:
Now that my (extended) weekend is over, I'm back with todays planet: The Ilwrath homeworld!

The Ilwrath are one of the few races in the game that do not inhabit a water world, telluric world, or redux world. So here it is; the primordial world:

Original:
Image
By Satellite:
Image
From Orbit:
Image


Good work!

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:13 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Todays planet is the home of the mysterious Mycon. Through bio-terraforming, the Mycon are able to create perfect worlds for their Deep Children. These worlds are known more commonly as shattered worlds.

Original:
Image
By Satellite:
Image
From Orbit:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 am 
Offline
Malfunctioning M:bot
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 845
I have to admit, I find the contrast between the land and seas in each of these to be too great. The edges don't seem to flow enough into each other (if you get what I mean).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
chenjesuwizard wrote:
I have to admit, I find the contrast between the land and seas in each of these to be too great. The edges don't seem to flow enough into each other (if you get what I mean).


Yeah that's true.

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:20 pm 
Offline
Atum-ta the Sixth
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
I was going to say the same thing about the shattered world. It almost looks like there is a thin layer of rocklike texture with some gaps atop a glowing red ball. That may very well be how you made the model, I don't know, but it's very pronounced here and doesn't look right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Draxas wrote:
I was going to say the same thing about the shattered world. It almost looks like there is a thin layer of rocklike texture with some gaps atop a glowing red ball. That may very well be how you made the model, I don't know, but it's very pronounced here and doesn't look right.


I'm glad you guys are pointing this out. I think this ends up happening when I focus on one aspect. Then I lose sight of the others. :oops:

I'm going to keep going. Tomorrow, I'll try to have two more planets. Once I finish all of them, I plan on making a collage.

Stay Tuned!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy