Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Hey everyone. I was looking through some of my previous arts and crafts around the forum and thought I'd do some new stuff. This time, I've decided to make HD remakes of the original maps from Star Control 2. I'm only going to do the home worlds of all the races because I think that's prolly what most people will find most interesting. (And because I want to).

I'm open to all kinds of feedback! So comment lots!

First up is Syra. The ORIGINAL homeworld of the Syreen. This is not Gaia. Gaia was provided by the Quans.

The Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From orbit:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
Maloo Oture wrote:
Hey everyone. I was looking through some of my previous arts and crafts around the forum and thought I'd do some new stuff. This time, I've decided to make HD remakes of the original maps from Star Control 2. I'm only going to do the home worlds of all the races because I think that's prolly what most people will find most interesting. (And because I want to).

I'm open to all kinds of feedback! So comment lots!

First up is Syra. The ORIGINAL homeworld of the Syreen. This is not Gaia. Gaia was provided by the Quans.

The Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From orbit:
Image


I'm confused, wasn't Syra destroyed by Mycon? Why did you make it full of life?
Anyways, nice work!

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Yeah. Syra was converted to a shattered world. I created it like it might have looked before that incident. I'll probably do the same thing with the Shofixti.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Next up: The Androsynth Colony.

After leaving the Humans and their oppressive ways, the Androsynth travelled to a new world to colonize as a new home for their people. This is the Telluric world that they travelled to.

Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From Orbit:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
Maloo Oture wrote:
Next up: The Androsynth Colony.

After leaving the Humans and their oppressive ways, the Androsynth travelled to a new world to colonize as a new home for their people. This is the Telluric world that they travelled to.

Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From Orbit:
Image


It looks really cool! It always confused me how all planets looked brown and plantless.

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
I know! And it was always annoying to me. Earth obviously didn't look like that. The only thing I could find that MIGHT explain why they looked that way is the conversation between Talana and Zelnick. She says that Syra was much like Earth in terms of diversity and wide spread plant life. This sorta implies that most worlds aren't very diverse. But then there's the Zoq Fot Pik who have one of the most diverse planets around.....

Now we've come to a new planet. This world was inhabited by a race of turtle-like beings known as the Burvixese. Not much is known about what they were like. Only that they were wiped out by the Kohr-Ah.

Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From Orbit:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 am 
Offline
Silly Supox

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 59
Location: BiH
Maloo Oture wrote:
I know! And it was always annoying to me. Earth obviously didn't look like that. The only thing I could find that MIGHT explain why they looked that way is the conversation between Talana and Zelnick. She says that Syra was much like Earth in terms of diversity and wide spread plant life. This sorta implies that most worlds aren't very diverse. But then there's the Zoq Fot Pik who have one of the most diverse planets around.....

Now we've come to a new planet. This world was inhabited by a race of turtle-like beings known as the Burvixese. Not much is known about what they were like. Only that they were wiped out by the Kohr-Ah.

Original:
Image

By Satellite:
Image

From Orbit:
Image


It never makes any sense, its like EARTH IS A SPECIAL PLANET! IT HAS PLANTS!

_________________
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:04 pm 
Offline
Malfunctioning M:bot
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 845
There are a fair few water worlds in game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
chenjesuwizard wrote:
There are a fair few water worlds in game.


Yeah but when you see them, they look barren. They're never green. They always just look like dirt and ocean.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HD Planets by Maloo Oture
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
Offline
Atum-ta the Sixth
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Telluric worlds always struck me as more desert-like, perhaps the oceans were not actually water. Or, perhaps the autotrophs simply evolved a different mechanism than chlorophyll, leading to a lack of greenery.

As for Syra, that might be a decent guess what it looked like, but with the deep children ripping the crust apart, I'd be willing to bet the continents were completely rearranged in the cataclysm so it may have been totally different.

Despite that, these all look fantastic. I especially like the Burvixese homeworld, which looks appropriately swampy and murky.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy