Project 6014: Update

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Project 6014: Update

Post by Death 999 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:50 pm

You... you didn't get the music on your first playthrough? You poor soul!

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 pm

I do think it could be very funny to have an argument between two or three Spathi who all have somewhat different personalities. I can imagine the "logical" conclusions that they could make to rationalize their fear of the Ultimate Evil.
Fwiffo has a slightly different personality from the other Spathi. He seems more ambitious. Though he is still a coward of course, so not drastically different. I wonder if we would ever have seen the Black Spathi in a sequel?

And SC's voice acting is not horrible - there are plenty of games with much worse, including games that take themselves seriously and can't get away with a bit of cheesiness. I like most of the performances, and I played the PC version first.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Regarding Fwiffo, one of the thing that I wished SC2 would have done is the capability to talk again to Fwiffo once he is on your ship. I'm pretty sure he would have done a proper comic sidekick before you get the talking pet.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:05 am

TFB said in a chat once that a potential sequel would probably begin with Fwiffo accidentally causing something really bad to happen. :)-smf (Not that I think 6014 should follow this, it should be its own alternate timeline)

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm actually the guy that mixed the sound effects for the Chmmr voice in Garageband, since I know Maloo in real life. In retrospect, it is a bit higher pitched, but then again, there's no real reason why every Chmmr you talk to in P6014 would have the exact same voice as the one you talk to in SCII, either. Still, lower pitched would work just fine. (Plus, someone with more experience and better software should probably mix the files used in the actual game.)

As for the quality of the original voice acting, while it's not first-rate by today's standards, remember that SCII for the 3DO came out in 1993, when the idea of using voice acting in video games was very new, and it was frequently quite (hilariously) crappy. SCII probably has the best voice acting of any game in the pre-Playstation era that I know about.

I've thought about joining the writing team as well, but I myself am in my first semester at a new college and I'm not certain I want to add more responsibilities to my life before I've scoped out how much free time I'm going to have and what I want to do with it. Out of curiosity, how much of the story is set in stone? From the wiki, I got the impression that the new races like the Baul and FoonFoon already had their background and personalities developed. Are these races going to be included for sure?

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Last time I interacted with the project my impression was that there is nothing set in stone about it anymore. The P6014 concept of story development seemed like piling up a lot of ideas then letting one trim the pile down to the size of a video game. I made the Baul and Foon-Foon races back then, but their development was put to a halt and I'm not in the position to complete them anymore. I don't mind even if P6014 scraps them, so you're completely free to make alternative suggestions.

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:10 am

how p6014 going right now
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 pm

gtb2002 wrote:how p6014 going right now
I wonder the same thing, i really want to try it out.
Updates?
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:52 am

ThriveDev wrote:
Updates?
Let me first apologize, if I sound grumpy. I'm not feeling well. I've been throwing up all evening. Sometimes you devour Mexican food, sometimes, it devours you.

I can understand people wanting updates. I'd be wanting updates too if I was you. If I don't answer this, it's because I get this question asked several times a week. Unlike dedicated game developers, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes, I just don't post to all the areas I need to. When I do share something that clearly is a work in progress, we all get a lot of backlash. It's a forum, I understand that. Sometimes I'm just too busy or not in the mood to deal with it. But trust me, nobody wants this game finished more than I.
As for Project 6014, I did release two 6014 pics last week. The Taalo:

I needed to put together a portfolio site, and decided to dust these off and stick it in there. Usually, I just don't feel the need to get everybody's opinions on it. You like it, that's awesome. Not what you expected? Fine. Everything we've ever done there's somebody who doesn't like it. Yes, we're working on it. No, I don't have a date when it will be out. You still want one? 2029? I thought I was safe with 2013 when the world was going to end Dec. 21st 2012 ;) You want a real date? 2014? Is that real? I don't know. (Again, this sounds rude, but I'm joking).

As for the latest, We've got another new writer in addition to our new professional writer. Nothing is being programmed or drawn until we get the story ironed out. Well, I'm about to send an e-mail proposal for a 2D XML based animation format for the UQM-HD/6014 engines that should make the animation system look way more modern. So while we wait for the writing team to get something to us, the 3D programming team and I have been having fun with the new 3D engine. It doesn't have an official name, so I'm calling it the SC-3D engine. We should have a multi-player melee demo out, probably in the next month or so. Both games will have the same story, but may share different parts of the same story.

So, team 6014 gets a professional writer (who is a Star Control fan), and a 3D engine. In exchange us art guys are helping out with the 3D asset creation for SC-3D.

Below are temp/test screenshots.
Now keep in mind, these are rough work in progress stuff that are meant for the other developers. But, you wanted updates, just go easy on us. ;)

Some quick temp 3D Orz I made:

It's only going to get better from there. Want to see the thing in 3D? Okay, check it out. I warn you, it's not great.

And, I've been working on a 3D Hayes. Right now, he looks a lot like Agent Mulder. He's going to change. Hair is photoshopped to lighten it up.

We're trying to recreate the 2D look in 3D. Now, I'm getting people balking at the 3D, and scolding me on feature creep. The art has never really been a problem. It's waiting for a good story. I hate to write the thing myself. I know what I'm good at, and writing would better be handled with somebody more talented than I. :) However, I feel I'll have to write it if nothing comes out of by January. Will anything ever come out the 3D thing? I don't know. I'm learning a lot, and having fun.

If you're interested in more, there's more images are available at my portfolio site: http://damonczanik.com
It's midnight, I'm going to go to bed and get some sleep.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 pm

dczanik wrote:
ThriveDev wrote:
Updates?
Let me first apologize, if I sound grumpy. I'm not feeling well. I've been throwing up all evening. Sometimes you devour Mexican food, sometimes, it devours you.

I can understand people wanting updates. I'd be wanting updates too if I was you. If I don't answer this, it's because I get this question asked several times a week. Unlike dedicated game developers, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes, I just don't post to all the areas I need to. When I do share something that clearly is a work in progress, we all get a lot of backlash. It's a forum, I understand that. Sometimes I'm just too busy or not in the mood to deal with it. But trust me, nobody wants this game finished more than I.
As for Project 6014, I did release two 6014 pics last week. The Taalo:

I needed to put together a portfolio site, and decided to dust these off and stick it in there. Usually, I just don't feel the need to get everybody's opinions on it. You like it, that's awesome. Not what you expected? Fine. Everything we've ever done there's somebody who doesn't like it. Yes, we're working on it. No, I don't have a date when it will be out. You still want one? 2029? I thought I was safe with 2013 when the world was going to end Dec. 21st 2012 ;) You want a real date? 2014? Is that real? I don't know. (Again, this sounds rude, but I'm joking).

As for the latest, We've got another new writer in addition to our new professional writer. Nothing is being programmed or drawn until we get the story ironed out. Well, I'm about to send an e-mail proposal for a 2D XML based animation format for the UQM-HD/6014 engines that should make the animation system look way more modern. So while we wait for the writing team to get something to us, the 3D programming team and I have been having fun with the new 3D engine. It doesn't have an official name, so I'm calling it the SC-3D engine. We should have a multi-player melee demo out, probably in the next month or so. Both games will have the same story, but may share different parts of the same story.

So, team 6014 gets a professional writer (who is a Star Control fan), and a 3D engine. In exchange us art guys are helping out with the 3D asset creation for SC-3D.

Below are temp/test screenshots.
Now keep in mind, these are rough work in progress stuff that are meant for the other developers. But, you wanted updates, just go easy on us. ;)

Some quick temp 3D Orz I made:

It's only going to get better from there. Want to see the thing in 3D? Okay, check it out. I warn you, it's not great.

And, I've been working on a 3D Hayes. Right now, he looks a lot like Agent Mulder. He's going to change. Hair is photoshopped to lighten it up.

We're trying to recreate the 2D look in 3D. Now, I'm getting people balking at the 3D, and scolding me on feature creep. The art has never really been a problem. It's waiting for a good story. I hate to write the thing myself. I know what I'm good at, and writing would better be handled with somebody more talented than I. :) However, I feel I'll have to write it if nothing comes out of by January. Will anything ever come out the 3D thing? I don't know. I'm learning a lot, and having fun.

If you're interested in more, there's more images are available at my portfolio site: http://damonczanik.com
It's midnight, I'm going to go to bed and get some sleep.
Thanks, i think its gonna be cool, although i do prefer many things in SC2 to be 2D than 3D. ;)
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*