Groombridge Log part III

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Groombridge Log part III

Post by Tiberian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 pm

The next installment of my Star Control novel is now completed!

First things first. Here's the link:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridg ... rt_III.pdf

And for those who missed the first two parts:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridge_Log_Part_I.pdf
http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridg ... art_II.pdf

Sometimes when I write, I get the feeling that I'm getting better at it. Those are fine moments. I really enjoyed writing some of the scenes and I hope you all enjoy reading them.

My intention is to make an actual book of this after part IV. I'll get over the details when the story is finished.

And a big thanks to oldlaptop for proof-reading the story once again.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: Groombridge Log part III

Post by Dragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Cool! (Although I'm mostly commenting here to remind me to download these on a computer attached to my kindle later).

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 am

I absolutely LOVED this part. The tiny differences and additions to the original story are so... natural? fitting?
Having played SC2 for SO many times, I remember just about ANYTHING about the game and yet, the story of mostly re-telling is just as captivating as if it was a book of story totally new to me. Thank you.

Several questions - upon returning to Hyperspace, the ORZ should have returned to previous state... or not... I really expected at least a mention of that.
Concerning Lydia - I am too lazy to check, but was she introduced to fill the 12 crew of the lander? I think you loose one crew in the game, but am not sure.
I am seriously baffled with the two weeks time loss. I thought it could have been the Dnyarri, but they lost the memories AFTER reaching Groombridge. Which was weird too, as I remember the closest Q-space portal is back to Arilou/Umgah, but again - the intact memories...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:40 am

Good questions, Alvarin.

first question: Nobody has noticed yet.
second: I thought of the 12th seat on the lander after writing Lydia in, so that was just a coincidence. In the game, there is no "newly available seat".
The reader is supposed to be as baffled as the crew at the ending. And as for the locations of the portals...

There are things in the game that I don't want to tinker with, and some that I think are not that important for the original universe.
For example: For me the hyperspace map is absolute. The stars will all remain exactly where they are in the game. But the quasispace portals are one thing that I feel I can move around for my own convenience. Like in this case the story needed a portal near Groombridge so I created one.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Armada
I'M ALIVE!

Post by Armada » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:18 am

l am absolutely loving your writing, It's like l'm going through something completely new.

Man, l really felt the tension in the battle against the Kohr-Ah, Well done!