Mod star control

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Mod star control

Post by Angelfish » Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 am

you're better off starting to learn Java programming if you want to get a job as a programmer. And best leave UQM alone, it's all quite outdated and complex.

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Post by superbutcherx » Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 am

Angelfish wrote:you're better off starting to learn Java programming if you want to get a job as a programmer. And best leave UQM alone, it's all quite outdated and complex.
Hmm, well... depends on where you're heading on your programming career. I've been working on telecommunication protocols, simulations, developed software-defined radios and such for five-ish years now. There, it's been C and C-style C++ for me all the way. I think C and C++ are still very widely used when doing stuff that is close to hardware.

But then again near-hardware coding is IMO definitely not as much fun as, say, applications and games, so you might not want to go there voluntarily :)

UQM code is indeed complex and outdated. What it has going for it though is: It's a very rewarding feeling to be able to tweak a part of the code and see the result of your work when compiling and playing the game. It's all the more satisfying to observe your handiwork when it's a game you know and love.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm

There, it's been C and C-style C++ for me all the way. I think C and C++ are still very widely used when doing stuff that is close to hardware.
This is correct (especially for C). They widely used in all sorts of embedded electronics applications such as your microwave keyboard. For heavier design, micro controller tends to be replaced by Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) and the Hardware Description Language. I can't vouch for the rest of the world, but here in Canada, VHDL programmer works on high tech systems (such as medical scanners) and they get paid a bit more than the rest. However, it is not comparable in terms of thinking and logic at all....so let's get back on C++/C shall we :P!

Regarding C++, there is a lot of software development team that uses it. Java doesn't offer the same depth in terms of low end capabilities and the fact that it is a interpreted language makes it...different to handle than C/C++. I remember that in an internship, I had to deal with the fact that you CAN'T expect your client to run or install the latest Java Virtual Machine. Therefore, if you are not careful, you may ship a software that he can't run! In C/C++, it is less likely to happens.

@GTB, is there a specific field that you want to work on? (Video game, a mix of hardware and software development, pure software, firmware...etc) ?
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Angelfish wrote:you're better off starting to learn Java programming if you want to get a job as a programmer. And best leave UQM alone, it's all quite outdated and complex.
I think Java has been replaced as of late. Assuming that you don't go in Embedded computing or game development (majority of programmers don't), I'd say most end up writing web apps. The most important languages and technologies for this are Javascript and its dozen libraries like jQuery. Also, SQL and databases. Most openings in my area have been for web app developers, or C# / .Net. Java seems to be used mainly for server backends these days.

Then again, assuming you went in embedded computing C would be the army knife. I'd say this is the only place where you also would be using Linux instead of Windows.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

PatronGOP
Silly Supox

Post by PatronGOP » Sat May 25, 2013 1:46 pm

JAVA is huge in mobile devices. In terms of web apps, it's almost impossible to be successful focusing on just one scripting language. If you are developing for javascript you are invariably going to have to interact with something server side (PHP, ASP, SQL). This has gone way off topic.

The differences between languages is mostly syntax. Once you've learned one you will have a strong foothold to branch out.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat May 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Gekko wrote:
I think Java has been replaced as of late. Assuming that you don't go in Embedded computing or game development (majority of programmers don't), I'd say most end up writing web apps. The most important languages and technologies for this are Javascript and its dozen libraries like jQuery. Also, SQL and databases. Most openings in my area have been for web app developers, or C# / .Net. Java seems to be used mainly for server backends these days.

Then again, assuming you went in embedded computing C would be the army knife. I'd say this is the only place where you also would be using Linux instead of Windows.
Now yáll just wait a minute, I was talking about people who want to learn to program. Learning to program is better done in Java than in anything else lately. Ofcourse later on you have to move to the language of choice for the sector that you want to work in...

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat May 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Angelfish, while I do agree that Java is a strong (perhaps the best) foothold...There is right off the bat a choice that new programmer and classes needs to make between Java and C++ (not a permanent one since most of the syntax is pretty close)...If they want to work in low level, embedded...they should go towards C/C++...even the dreaded assembly for the simple reason that it goes way more in depth in terms of memory management and such.

If you plan on software development, web app, architecture and Object Oriented design...Java is your best friend to learn. You can quickly and easily learn to implement different design patterns and you will get more insight on the structure of a program in general. Furthermore, it is less of a headache to understand when the memory management is mostly done for you.

There is a slight difference in the way of thinking between the two main focus. For me, I showed several teenager how to program by using an arduino platform and C. The nice thing about it is that it is cheap and you can have lots of interesting projects going on quite fast.

You could also consider C#, but there is too much going on behind the scene to easily grasp the OO concepts and learn to do good programming. You can get results faster, but I find that my code is usually more sloppy in C# since I use it most of the time for quick and dirty solutions.

Interesting conversation tho perhaps moving it to a different thread?
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
Death 999 wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:(as evidenced by the fact that UQM is constructed in a way that you'd expect it to leak memory like a sieve, but it in fact doesn't)
Could you elaborate on this?
The code absolutely lives on pointers, everywhere.
Well, yes. It's in C with structs. Do you propose that they pass by value everywhere?

One nice thing about SC2 is that little needs to be retained between phases of play. Like, after a conversation, you can just destroy everything in the conversation and you don't need to destroy anything before then and there's no chance of something becoming cut off, just by the overall design.