Groombridge Log part II finished

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Groombridge Log part II finished

Post by Tiberian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:22 am

Some might remember the first part of the Groombridge Log novel, which was finished in autumn I think.
(Here is the link to part I.)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridge_Log_Part_I.pdf

After long hours of work and tears (of joy, of course) I have finished part II of the story. It was supposed to be another five chapters, but after the fifth (tenth) I had to do one more, so it is six chapters. Here's the link:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Groombridg ... art_II.pdf

I hope (some of) you read it.
I hope (most of) you enjoy it.

All feedback is very welcome.

And a big thanks to oldlaptop for proof-reading the story.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Groombridge Log part II finished

Post by Alvarin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Awesome writing! I have enjoyed it verily. I can't make my mind about substitution of mining with scavenging. Yes, it probably makes for a much better story progression and as a source of information, but the mining was an integral part of SC2. In the Spathiwa de-Evilization bit, why did you change the lander chase with on-foot mission?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 am

Alvarin wrote:In the Spathiwa de-Evilization bit, why did you change the lander chase with on-foot mission?
That's a good question!

You might have noticed that I had completely left out the Precursor planet landers. They are using a standard human 'shuttle' and I didn't see any reason why a shuttle would have a mounted stun gun.

And semi-related to the previous: I haven't completely substituted mining. The people at the starbase are constantly mining the Moon. The planet lander flying over mineral deposits and picking them up was good for gameplay, but I didn't see any reason why and how they could "really" pull that off. (Especially since I left out the specific landers.)
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 am

Early in the story the Starbase personnel didn't recognize the shuttle design, as far as I remember, so I assumed it was still the Precursor shuttle.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:32 am

Alvarin wrote:Early in the story the Starbase personnel didn't recognize the shuttle design, as far as I remember, so I assumed it was still the Precursor shuttle.
That wasn't the shuttle. It was some kind of an unmanned material transport vehicle. Originally they used the shuttle from the Tobermoon and then they created another shuttle (just in case) with the first resources - and it's a good thing they did, since the original shuttle got pretty messed up at Pluto.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 am

Well well, Tiberian!

I blame you (not really) for the awesome time I had reading the Groombridge Log novel :)!

It's been a while since I visited here or UQM forum and I am glad to hear that you are still around!

Nicely done!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey, Glory Device, nice to see you're still alive, just like Groombridge Log.

And here's an update: I just finished chapter 12 today. Time will tell how many chapters are needed for part III, but if things go as planned, the next part could be finished sometime in the summer, August perhaps.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, yeah I still breath which is not a bad thing after all! My university degree is finished and I decided to come back into the realm of online community. For now, I don't plan on work on any project...But, who knows in the future!

I look forward for the third chapter!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Vman
Er, we mean

Post by Vman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you for writing this, I enjoyed it :D

Looking forward to part III!

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Part III is going on chapter 15. There's 46 pages now.