The Turning - New Race III: Fo'lo'ti

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

The Turning - New Race III: Fo'lo'ti

Post by kingschosen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 pm

I am really unhappy with how the Starcaster pic turned out. I couldn't figure the perspective of it from a 3D standpoint, so it seems very flat and blah. I didn't hand draw this one because I wanted to try and create the rest of the ships digitally. I know I have a lot of work to do, so I'm sorry again for the ugly picture.

The Fo’lo’ti have an eclectic history. The Fo’lo’ti are genetic cyber-organisms: they are NOT simply flesh over machine, but they are growing flesh intertwined with growing machines. Their beginnings as a race are unclear, but it is thought that they are a result of genetic experimentation of the Durreaux (ancient Kessari race) with the intent to merge the stalwartness of machine with the ingenuity and flexibility of sentient flesh. While the experiments were successful, they were not perfect. Several gaps in the Fo’lo’ti’s DNA confirmed the Durreaux’s decision to abandon their experiment; however, they did not want to extinguish the life they created. The Durreaux found a planet that was hospitable to the Fo’lo’ti and left them to their own accord.

The flesh side of their being allows them to reproduce, age, and die like any other carbon based life form. The machine side allows for data transfers from Fo’lo’ti to Fo’lo’ti. The Durreaux downloaded vast amount of information onto their memory units, and this data has been passed down for thousands of years. Because the Durreaux abruptly stopped the experiments, the Fo’lo’ti do not have an understanding and cannot comprehend certain social and emotional functions. The most unfortunate downside to the Fo’lo’ti’s genetic makeup is the inability to learn. Any and all new data has to be downloaded onto a Fo’lo’ti’s memory unit. This genetic flaw makes the Fo’lo’ti very susceptible to data corruption.

It took the Fo’lo’ti many years to reach the point in their civilization to start space travel. They always had the knowledge, but the means were not there. When they did begin to travel between Kessari stars their first alien encounter was the Clairconctlar. The two races immediately became allies, and they were in turn introduced to the Bm’Mp and the Regothe.

The Bm’Mp hated the Fo’lo’ti and did not trust them. This put strain on the Bm’Mp’s relationship with the Clairconctlar. The Fo’lo’ti were oblivious to the Bm’Mp resentment because the Clairconctlar would not download that information into them. The Clairconctlar feared how the Fo’lo’ti would respond to resentment.

The Harika and Yorn had become close allies to the Bm’Mp, and they too did not trust the Fo’lo’ti. The Bm’Mp and the Harika and Yorn entered a boycott of the Fo’lo’ti thus preventing any Fo’lo’ti Starcaster from entering into their respective airspace without explicit permission from either the Clairconctlar or the Regothe. The Regothe beseeched their closest friends, the Bm’Mp, to repeal their decision, but even the diplomatic expertise of the Regothe could not sway their opinion.

The Clairconctlar had no choice but to download this information into the Fo’lo’ti. The Fo’lo’ti became livid and declared war upon the Bm’Mp and the Harika and Yorn. The Regothe and Clairconctlar stepped in to mediate before too many lives were needlessly thrown away. A treaty was signed which prevented any and all Fo’lo’ti Starcasters from entering Bm’Mp (Regothe as well) and Harika and Yorn airspace. Likewise, all Impalers and Ravagers were forbidden from Fo’lo’ti airspace. The relationships of the three races have never recovered and they still despise one another. In fact, it is left on the Clairconctlar and Regothe’s shoulders to keep them from warring.

When the Keetron invaded the Kessari Quadrant they had a three-prong initial offensive; mercilessly fight the Bm’Mp and the Regothe while pounding the Clairconctlar. While this attack was happening, the Fo’lo’ti’s only allies, the Clairconctlar and the Regothe, could not aid them. The Fo’lo’ti knew nothing of this new race and could not learn that they were hostile. The Keetron acted quickly and downloaded new information into the Fo’lo’ti as well as erasing parts of their old data.

The Fo’lo’ti now followed the Keetron without question and began attacking Clairconctlar and Regothe ships. Heartbroken, the Clairconctlar and Regothe had no choice but to fight back in hopes that they could correct the corrupted Fo’lo’ti.

The Fo’lo’ti’s ship, the Starcaster, is formidable vessel. It is large but thin; making it somewhat of a difficult target. It has sluggish speed and moderate turning, but it has a fairly large battery for the four ion-pulse cannons. The Starcaster also has a repelling beam that can push an enemy ship to a safer distance.

Last edited by kingschosen on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: New Race III: Fo'lo'ti

Post by Dabir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:10 pm

A wise man once said, "Apostrophes are not a substitute for vowels." "Foloti" is just as valid a name as "Fo'lo'ti". Other than that, like it.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Re: New Race III: Fo'lo'ti

Post by kingschosen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:30 am

Dabir wrote:A wise man once said, "Apostrophes are not a substitute for vowels." "Foloti" is just as valid a name as "Fo'lo'ti". Other than that, like it.
lol, that's true. Apostrophes are meant to either show possession or deletion. As a communication major, this has been a major pet peeve of mine, especially when parent's throw random apostrophes into names. That being said, it's intentional. Their name is in reference to the English translation of the Durreaux's genetic experiment called "Form one experiment: Load machina to living tissue.

I just didn't feel the need to go into detail about this, but you are an observant one :) That I like.

Last bumped by kingschosen on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:30 am.