Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: If Star Control II had Achivements
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:27 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

FireofDawn wrote:
Created an account just to add to this topic. Anyhoo...
Now Ya Gotta Kiss Me:
Teleport away with an Arilou the exact moment the Shofixti detonates.
(I've NEVER been able to pull this off. Can it be done?)

Indeed it can. I doubt there's video evidence anywhere though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

It's not clear that a video would be evidence, since you'd need to prove that not one frame later would have been too late. But the game could tell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm 
Hunam adventurer

FireofDawn wrote:
All Aboard!:
Have a Syreen at full crew by the end of a battle. Been playing this series since nearly day one, and I've never actually done this.

I've actually done that before, which is REALLY weird since I'm really bad at using the Syreen Penetrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Suggestions Where are Angroth?!:ask Orz about Andgroth too much 2.Ultion thing:insult the ultron 3.Great enemy kill 10 um-gah ships after they call you great enemy 4.self-destruct:use self-destruct code 100 times 5.Ilwrath puns: make Ilwrath change ways of saying 6.process what process?:interrupt process with caster until Ilwrath put infite sorce.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am 
Hunam adventurer

For grins and giggles I'll go on ahad and list off every achievement concocted on this topic. I went ahead andnamed the ones that were not givne names too. I went ahead and excluded the more off the wall ones.

Obnoxious Human – Insult or threaten every possible alien race

Precursor Tracker– Find all 10 rainbow worlds

Great Teacher – Ally with the Thraddash

Call 1-500-PKUNK – Get the Clear Spindle

Added to the Ledger of Hatred – Get the Utwig Bomb

Latest and Greatest – Buy ALL technology from the Melnorme

Extra! Extra! – Buy ALL information from the Melnorme

Customer of the Decade– buy EVERYTHING (information, technology, and at least one unit of fuel) from the Melnorme

Dwe the Dilrats… – Trick the Ilwrath into attacking the Thraddash

Unworthy Prey Indeed – Get the VUX to finally accept your apology

Savior of Frungy – Save the Zot-Foq-Pik from the Kor-Ah

Rat Babies Galore – Save the Shofixti

Boo! – Find both the Umgah and Burxiverse casters

Collect them all! – Have every possible alien ship in your fleet at least once

Analysis Compete – Have the space station scientists examine all possible cargo

I’m so lonely… - Never meet Fwiffo

BFF – Have Fwiffo with you for the entire game

WE DON’T COME IN PEACE – eliminate the probes

Hollow Victory – Destroy the Sa-Matra after the Kor-Ah have killed all other alien races other than humanity, the Syreen, and the Chmmr

Near Death Experience – Destroy the Sa-Matra after the Kor-Ah have started their Death March, but before they’ve killed any aliens

Don’t fear the Reaper – Destroy the Sa-Matra before the Kor-Ah can even start their Death March

Payback! – Destroy an Umgah Drone with a Spathi Eluder in either the main game or Super-Melee

Long and Winding Space – NEVER use the Arilou portal maker

Crystals are a Captain’s best friend – Destroy the Sa-Matra using only Chmmr Avatars

Unscrupulous Hero – Sell some of your crew to the Druuge

I told ya don't touch that darn thing! – Activate the Utwig Bomb

The Words – Have both the Ur-Quan Kzer-za and the Ur-Quan Kor-ah tell you the tragic tale of their species

Die old man, die! – Defeat a Druuge Mauler with an Utwig Jugger in the main game or in Super-Melee

Stronger than a computer – Defeat an Awesome Computer in Super-Melee

Ach Captain! I’m givin’ her all she’s got! – Run out of fuel in hyperspace

Good with a side of butter – Defeat a Mycon Podship with a Syreen Penetrator in the main game

Marshmallow Heaven – Win 5 battles using only Syreen Penetrators

Honor regained – Win 5 battles using only Yehat Terminators

KAIYEEEEEE!!! - Win 5 battles using only Shofixti Scouts

We can be pretty nasty! - Win 5 battles using only Zoq-Fot-Pik Stingers

Time to *Play*! - Win 5 battles using only Orz Nemesis'

Pale-skinned freaks - Win 5 battles using only Arilou Skiffs

Responsible Leader - lose less than 50 crew in the entire game.

I know this place like the back of my hand - Leaving no resource unclaimed in 50 fuel points radius of Sol (mineral and bio).

For a Rainy Day - Accumulating a HUGE amount of unspent RUs.

Irony - Get the Druuge to fill your ship with fuel and make them run out

That was fast - Die to the first Sylandro probe met.

Warlord - Kill over 500 ships in a single game, not counting homeworlds and other infinite ship battles.

Money is the root of all evil - Win the game without ever buying anything from the Melnorme.

Seldom Seen Savior - Win the game without ever visiting the Earth starbase (other than when installing the bomb).

Biased Hero - Use ONLY Earthling cruisers and Vindicator to win the game (you can have other ships in fleet).

Its over! Go read a book or something! – Beat the game in one sitting

To Boldly Go… - Travel to 999.9, 999.9 in Hyperspace

Genocide for two – Kill both Tanaka and Katana

Outsourced – Collect radioactives from another system

Tourist – Visit every solar system

Lost in Space – Go into orbit around every planet and moon

Less talking, more killing - Eliminate 10 enemy battlegroups without conversing with them first

PTSD - Extract a lander from a planet with only 1 crewman left alive

Conformist - Finish the game without starting the Yehat revolution

Squeezing the *juice* - Make and then break an alliance with the Orz

Mysterious Murderous Monster - Capture ZEX's beast without having spoken to Admiral ZEX

Just Friends - Avoid having a romantic encounter with Talana

Questionable Ethics - Increase your crew cost to 15 RU

Human Resources Professional - Decrease your crew cost to 1 RU without the help of the Shofixti or Chmmr

Seek Death at the Hands of your Enemy - Lose 2 weeks to the Talking Pet

OCD to the max - Collect ALL minerals from ALL planets

Prank Caller - Call the Melrnome with a caster 10 times without purchasing anything

You killed my brother, prepare to... Never mind - Kill Tanaka, and then befriend Katana

Zelnick approved! - Have all possible Melnorme equipment on the Vindicator

Your my only friend... - Until the Sa-Matra, fight battles with only Fwiffo

Inept Warrior - Lose 100 ships in battle in the main game

Death by Cuteness - lose a lander to the Evil Ones

Worse than Zebranky - Ignore the Zoq-Fot-Pik's distress signal

Amnesia - Lose 4 weeks to the Talking Pet

You never needed my help - Beat a Kohr-Ah Marauder with a ZFP Stinger

ZEX’s Pride - Beat a Kohr-Ah Marauder with with a VUX Intruder

Whose the prey animal now?! - Beat an Ilwrath Avenger with an Earthling Cruiser.

Now Ya Gotta Kiss Me - Teleport away with an Arilou the exact moment the Shofixti detonates.

Crystal Mmrnth - Defeat an armada of Chenjesu with an armada of Mmrnmhrm, or vice versa.

Cone of Shame - Teleport directly into the Umgah's anti-matter cone.

All Aboard! - Have a Syreen at full crew by the end of a battle.

Gobstopper - Tongue attack the planet.

Naked - Destroy all three zap-zats without destroying an Avatar.

And a few more new ones for good measure :)

Who am I again? - Lose 6 weeks to the Talking Pet

Devil’s Advocate - Lose 8 weeks to the Talking Pet

You do know the galaxy is depending on you… - Lose 10 weeks to the Talking Pet

Amish Astronaut - Don’t buy ANY new technology from the Melnorme

Suckers… - Get the Rosy Sphere

Kick them while their down – Pick a fight a Thraddash Torch and/or a Ilwrath Avenger while the two races are killing each other

Some assembly required - Rebuild the Ultron

Oh the humanity! - Visit Unzervalt

Last edited by Twist of Fate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:07 am 
Silly Supox

Im not sure if we have these but:

Zeepevara- Start the Yehat revolution
What are these... nothing- Don't ask Slylandro about glowy bits
Bubbly- Defeat another ship with Androsynth guardian in super meele using only bubble laser

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Okay, not making several quote boxes, just gonna copy the stuff to save effort. Coloring my comments blue.

These non-colored ones were posted by FireofDawn

Highlander:
Defeat an entire enemy armada (I'd assume all different ships) by only using one ship.

Done that, Utwig jugger's OP.

Now Ya Gotta Kiss Me:
Teleport away with an Arilou the exact moment the Shofixti detonates.
(I've NEVER been able to pull this off. Can it be done?)

I've done that a LOT of times (probably more...) Honestly, now that I've gotten some training on it, I know almost exactly at what range the hardest AI detonates, so I succeed with this more times than I fail..

All Aboard!:
Have a Syreen at full crew by the end of a battle. Been playing this series since nearly day one, and I've never actually done this.

Done it a few times; with the obvious best way being a battle against Spathi ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm 
ZEXy Beast

Hey, I'm new here. Sorry for the thread necro.

I read this thread and noticed that it lacked an achievement for winning the single hardest winnable fight in the entire game.

I noticed that there were a few people who mentioned making and breaking an alliance with the Orz, and that gets near the mark. Why not make them your enemy from the start?

The single hardest fight in the game is fighting your way through 12 Orz Nemesis ships at Delta Vulpeculae 2-C, for the Taalo Shield.

chenjesuwizard wrote:
You'd also need to talk to the Orz for the Taalo shield.

Not necessarily. You could fight them at every encounter, and you could fight them at Delta Vulpeculae 2-C. (Or, you could wait for the Kohr-Ah to cleanse them.)

Anyway, winning the battle at Delta Vulpeculae is probably very difficult to achieve until the late game in a normal game, with a souped-up flagship or Chmmr Avatars. (It is probably impossible to achieve on a "No-Starbase" run of the game, since your ships will simply lack the firepower - you'll be limited to Druuge Maulers, Pkunk Furies, the Earthling Cruiser, Fwiffo's Eluder, ZFP Stingers, and maybe also the Supox and Utwig ships if you've let the Kohr-Ah begin their march.)

I couldn't come up with a good name for this achievement - Enemy of the Orz. Maybe "Arilou Mama's Boy" or "Arilou Terrier" or something like that, as if hatred of the Orz shows your ultimate loyalty to the Arilou. Or maybe just call it *FRUMPLE*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:17 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Ender wrote:

Don't worry about that. I find that we're not terribly concerned with necroing here anyway, so if you feel you have something to add, go for it.

Ender wrote:
The single hardest fight in the game is fighting your way through 12 Orz Nemesis ships at Delta Vulpeculae 2-C, for the Taalo Shield.

Not really, no. The hardest fight in the game is to penetrate the Ur-Quan's blockade around the Sa-Matra without using the Talking Pet. That'd actually make a great achievement - "Brute Force", which entitles reaching the Sa-Matra without the Talking Pet to nudge away the mega-fleet surrounding it. I mean, it'd be hard as hell, but I'd wager the fleet isn't actually infinite.

Ender wrote:
Anyway, winning the battle at Delta Vulpeculae is probably very difficult to achieve until the late game in a normal game, with a souped-up flagship or Chmmr Avatars.

I wouldn't say that it's that hard. Furies are pretty good if you know how to use them, and the Blade's not half-bad either. Torches too, if you've got them available - the fire trails does short work of any marines sent your way, although if I'm honest the Torch is just a broken ship to begin with. The Avatar makes things easy, yes, but it's far from the only ship that's viable in this fight.

Ender wrote:
(It is probably impossible to achieve on a "No-Starbase" run of the game, since your ships will simply lack the firepower - you'll be limited to Druuge Maulers, Pkunk Furies, the Earthling Cruiser, Fwiffo's Eluder, ZFP Stingers, and maybe also the Supox and Utwig ships if you've let the Kohr-Ah begin their march.)

Well, there's also the Yehat Terminators you'd be able to get from the Yehat rebellion, but I see your point. It'd be hard to collect enough ships to be effective against the blockade, especially since you wouldn't have any way of reinforcing them when they take hits. As I state above, however, both Furies and Blades are viable options. Their speed allows them to avoid the marines, and they've got a serviceable weapon to return fire with as well. I admit the Blade is probably better than the Fury simply on account of its greater range, but even without the starbase, you have options. Stopping the Pkunk migration also allows you to get even more Furies, so you'd be able to collect enough to tackle the Orzian blockade.

The topic of limited ships brings up an interesting idea for an achievement, though. Call it Blueprint Breakdown or something like that - the point here is to never build a ship in the starbase rather than never using the starbase at all. It'd still leave you with limited supplies, whilst nonetheless allowing you to upgrade and re-crew your flagship and fleet. A bit of a middle ground, I suppose.

Ender wrote:
I couldn't come up with a good name for this achievement - Enemy of the Orz. Maybe "Arilou Mama's Boy" or "Arilou Terrier" or something like that, as if hatred of the Orz shows your ultimate loyalty to the Arilou. Or maybe just call it *FRUMPLE*

Another suggestion would be "Banished *Below*", owing to the number of Orzian manifestations you'd no doubt have banished back *outside* in the process of penetrating the blockade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Ender wrote:

Don't worry about that. I find that we're not terribly concerned with necroing here anyway, so if you feel you have something to add, go for it.
If it's relevant to this topic, it's better to necro than create a new topic, especially on a slow-life board like this one. It keeps relevant posts together, without the need of scrolling through a mass of old threads with the same content.

Ender wrote:

Not really, no. The hardest fight in the game is to penetrate the Ur-Quan's blockade around the Sa-Matra without using the Talking Pet. That'd actually make a great achievement - "Brute Force", which entitles reaching the Sa-Matra without the Talking Pet to nudge away the mega-fleet surrounding it. I mean, it'd be hard as hell, but I'd wager the fleet isn't actually infinite.
I agree. There are plenty ships that can take the Nemesis ships.
But the circle around the Sa-Matra is easily broken. The ships do not break formation (they don't follow you, and you're faster), and you have a sec or so to get away, an fully upgraded you are gone before the next battle group gets you.
This is how I did it the first few times, until I found out that I can use the Neo-Dnyarri not only in the planetary close-up, but also in the full system.
My BumpingTool easily took care of any Ur-Quan ship, even with the bomb and the Chmmr device aboard.

Ender wrote:
(It is probably impossible to achieve on a "No-Starbase" run of the game, since your ships will simply lack the firepower - you'll be limited to Druuge Maulers, Pkunk Furies, the Earthling Cruiser, Fwiffo's Eluder, ZFP Stingers, and maybe also the Supox and Utwig ships if you've let the Kohr-Ah begin their march.)

Well, there's also the Yehat Terminators you'd be able to get from the Yehat rebellion,
No, without StarBase visit, you don't get a Shofixti captain on board, an without that, you won't be able to start the revolution, so no Terminators in the "no Starbase" run.
(Also: I did not know you could get Blades and Juggers for free after the start of the Death march. I really should wait once for this to happen (the Blade is my favourite ship). - Thanks for the info!)

The topic of limited ships brings up an interesting idea for an achievement, though. Call it Blueprint Breakdown or something like that - the point here is to never build a ship in the starbase rather than never using the starbase at all. It'd still leave you with limited supplies, whilst nonetheless allowing you to upgrade and re-crew your flagship and fleet. A bit of a middle ground, I suppose.
Seconded! (and highlighted due to the proposal for this topic.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next