All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: If Star Control II had Achivements
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:55 pm 
ZEXy Beast

Quasispatial wrote:

Ender wrote:
The single hardest fight in the game is fighting your way through 12 Orz Nemesis ships at Delta Vulpeculae 2-C, for the Taalo Shield.

Not really, no. The hardest fight in the game is to penetrate the Ur-Quan's blockade around the Sa-Matra without using the Talking Pet. That'd actually make a great achievement - "Brute Force", which entitles reaching the Sa-Matra without the Talking Pet to nudge away the mega-fleet surrounding it. I mean, it'd be hard as hell, but I'd wager the fleet isn't actually infinite.

EDITED: I checked the Ultronomicon, and Quasispatial is correct. There are also 14 Dreadnaughts or Destroyers in the Battle Groups guarding the Sa-Matra in the giant ring formation. I guess my memory is busted. I haven't tried to penetrate the Sa-Matra's blockade in many years, so I guess I'd forgotten that they were huge groups there, or maybe it was different on the DOS version.

That's not a single fight. There are multiple battle groups there, if you were to fight them all.

I am talking about fighting and winning vs. a single Battle Group when I say "single hardest fight."

Correction from my previous post. There are actually 14 Nemeses at Delta Vulpeculae 2-c. At 23 ship-points each, that is an over 300 point armada (322).

The group blockading the Sa-Matra itself is only 6 ships total, or 180 points. I forget how many ships are in the battle groups in the giant ring of ships that are sent away with the Talking Pet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 pm 
Hunam adventurer

[quote="Quasispatial"]

These non-colored ones were posted by FireofDawn

Highlander:
Defeat an entire enemy armada (I'd assume all different ships) by only using one ship.

Done that, Utwig jugger's OP.

I've done that with a Melnorme. Wiped out a fleet of the Old Alliance (2x each ship).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Ender wrote:
Anyway, winning the battle at Delta Vulpeculae is probably very difficult to achieve until the late game in a normal game, with a souped-up flagship or Chmmr Avatars. (It is probably impossible to achieve on a "No-Starbase" run of the game, since your ships will simply lack the firepower - you'll be limited to Druuge Maulers, Pkunk Furies, the Earthling Cruiser, Fwiffo's Eluder, ZFP Stingers, and maybe also the Supox and Utwig ships if you've let the Kohr-Ah begin their march.)

I have to disgaree with this. I find that the computer on Awesome level makes a fatal mistake with the Orz Nemesis and you can pretty much blast your way into Delta Vulpeculae with a few Earthling Cruisers. As long as you don't warp in too close, let the Orz be dumb enough to launch 8 marines, then make sure you face the right direction, launch two missiles, and hey presto, fish pizza. If the Orz is close in and launches marines at close range, DO NOT FIRE - wait for them to get close and hammer away with your defence laser (three shots takes out a marine and it has a quick firing time).

One possible achievement could be to defeat five different types of ship with a lower value ship (i.e. defeat 5 different types of enemy with a Earthling Cruiser in main game)

Or achievement name Kobayashi Maru - Defeat ships totalling 5 times the current ship's cost in Melee.