Groombridge Log Part I (novel) finished!

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Vman
Er, we mean

Re: Groombridge Log Part I (novel) finished!

Post by Vman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am

Death 999 wrote:Having written a fanfic... it's nearly impossible to use more than snips of in-game text because the captain barely speaks. It's always a one-sided conversation.

The only two exceptions I can think of are the Kohr-Ah quote in my sig (or location?), and the VUX dialog from P6014, which I wrote with role reversal in mind.
Well, in this fic that's handled by having various characters say in-game text that was originally all Hayes's, or have them say things from the supplemental materials (the manual, right?).

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:56 am

Vman wrote: Well, in this fic that's handled by having various characters say in-game text that was originally all Hayes's, or have them say things from the supplemental materials (the manual, right?).
Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do. And I try to make it feel as natural as possible.

The dialog often needs some tweaking to fit in this format.

And yes, more is coming. Currently chapter 9 is in progress and my plan is to 'publish' the next part after chapter 10.

And finally, about the legal stuff: Currently I don't bother myself with that. If this story gets finished some day, then I start worrying about that.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Vman
Er, we mean

Post by Vman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Tiberian wrote:
Vman wrote: Well, in this fic that's handled by having various characters say in-game text that was originally all Hayes's, or have them say things from the supplemental materials (the manual, right?).
Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do. And I try to make it feel as natural as possible.

The dialog often needs some tweaking to fit in this format.

And yes, more is coming. Currently chapter 9 is in progress and my plan is to 'publish' the next part after chapter 10.

And finally, about the legal stuff: Currently I don't bother myself with that. If this story gets finished some day, then I start worrying about that.
Ok, and that's good to hear! I'm looking forward to more of this fic :D

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I got to the end of this (part I) and my thoughts are that the attention to detail is impressive, the canonical conversations are skilfully woven in and hopefully I'll get on to part II later!
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Vman
Er, we mean

Post by Vman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Hey, just thought I'd let you know of a good place to attract new readers from if anyone wants to post a review of this...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... tarControl

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I'd be happy if someone wrote a review there. Thanks for the info.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com