An art thread for an art thread?

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: An art thread for an art thread?

Post by Draxas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 pm

The overlapping impact craters on the top one look a little weird, since there really is no way that could happen. Other than that, though, poth look quite good as always.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am

Draxas wrote:The overlapping impact craters on the top one look a little weird, since there really is no way that could happen. Other than that, though, poth look quite good as always.
Right, I meant to erase the inside edge of one of them making it look better. But alas, I didn't. Thank you.

As a side note, I've been working in the program Celestia. With some self taught coding I was able to create a solar system with a redux world in it:

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm

That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Draxas wrote:That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.
I agree. I think it's the way the sun is shining on the "water" of the planet... I didn't make the atmosphere very thick, so I think that's the result. I can change the specular map some and get some better results... Stay tuned.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 am

Maloo Oture wrote:
Draxas wrote:That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.
I agree. I think it's the way the sun is shining on the "water" of the planet... I didn't make the atmosphere very thick, so I think that's the result. I can change the specular map some and get some better results... Stay tuned.
You can actually see a green ring around the entire planet. I think that should be toned down, or possibly even taken out completely.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:07 am

Dyandod wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
You can actually see a green ring around the entire planet. I think that should be toned down, or possibly even taken out completely.
That's the atmosphere. The prgam works in RGB but I couldn't make sense of it because it uses decimals... Not hexidecimals... It's all really confusing for me. Don't worry, tough! I'm not quitting my day job.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:The prgam works in RGB but I couldn't make sense of it because it uses decimals... Not hexidecimals...
May I recommend Wolfram|Alpha? For instance:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0x ... in+decimal
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:53 am

I'm not fond of the recent impact cratered one. The craters are too sharp, and there are no ejecta jets. It's like someone took a giant rubber stamp to the planet instead of smashing things into it. Also, with that many large craters, I'd expect hundreds of little ones.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 am

Good observation, Death. I thought it looked a lot like the way you described it. It actually almost was a stamp....

So yes, My craters need improvement.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I've created an Opalescent world.