Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 pm 
Offline
Atum-ta the Sixth
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
The overlapping impact craters on the top one look a little weird, since there really is no way that could happen. Other than that, though, poth look quite good as always.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Draxas wrote:
The overlapping impact craters on the top one look a little weird, since there really is no way that could happen. Other than that, though, poth look quite good as always.


Right, I meant to erase the inside edge of one of them making it look better. But alas, I didn't. Thank you.



As a side note, I've been working in the program Celestia. With some self taught coding I was able to create a solar system with a redux world in it:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm 
Offline
Atum-ta the Sixth
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Draxas wrote:
That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.


I agree. I think it's the way the sun is shining on the "water" of the planet... I didn't make the atmosphere very thick, so I think that's the result. I can change the specular map some and get some better results... Stay tuned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 am 
Offline
Yehat Revolutionist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am
Posts: 622
Location: Illinois
Maloo Oture wrote:
Draxas wrote:
That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.


I agree. I think it's the way the sun is shining on the "water" of the planet... I didn't make the atmosphere very thick, so I think that's the result. I can change the specular map some and get some better results... Stay tuned.

You can actually see a green ring around the entire planet. I think that should be toned down, or possibly even taken out completely.

_________________
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:07 am 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Dyandod wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
Draxas wrote:
That one looks a little weird, almost like an internally lit glass sphere.


I agree. I think it's the way the sun is shining on the "water" of the planet... I didn't make the atmosphere very thick, so I think that's the result. I can change the specular map some and get some better results... Stay tuned.

You can actually see a green ring around the entire planet. I think that should be toned down, or possibly even taken out completely.


That's the atmosphere. The prgam works in RGB but I couldn't make sense of it because it uses decimals... Not hexidecimals... It's all really confusing for me. Don't worry, tough! I'm not quitting my day job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline
Yehat Revolutionist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 744
Location: 175.2 : 145.0
Maloo Oture wrote:
The prgam works in RGB but I couldn't make sense of it because it uses decimals... Not hexidecimals...


May I recommend Wolfram|Alpha? For instance:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0x ... in+decimal

_________________
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:53 am 
Offline
ZFP Peacekeeper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 1599
I'm not fond of the recent impact cratered one. The craters are too sharp, and there are no ejecta jets. It's like someone took a giant rubber stamp to the planet instead of smashing things into it. Also, with that many large craters, I'd expect hundreds of little ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 am 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
Good observation, Death. I thought it looked a lot like the way you described it. It actually almost was a stamp....

So yes, My craters need improvement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An art thread for an art thread?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 454
I've created an Opalescent world.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy