An art thread for an art thread?

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: An art thread for an art thread?

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Perhaps the planet itself, or maybe just the edges need to be more blurred, less dominant?

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm

I've finished the Xenolithic and Ultramarine worlds. However, the ultramarine world is difficult to see when it's used as a moon. So I made an extra stand alone image of that particular planet.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Maloo Oture wrote: Personally I don't know if I like the way the orange (Oceans?) look. I think I should have made them darker.
I've always thought the Treasure Worlds looked like simple balls of mixed precious metals (sort of like this, though with different metals: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -24452.jpg). Obviously not very realistic, but then SC2 is full of unrealistic things :)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:19 am

oldlaptop wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote: Personally I don't know if I like the way the orange (Oceans?) look. I think I should have made them darker.
I've always thought the Treasure Worlds looked like simple balls of mixed precious metals (sort of like this, though with different metals: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -24452.jpg). Obviously not very realistic, but then SC2 is full of unrealistic things :)

I finally made one that I think looks better...

This one seems more uniform:

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 am

Maloo Oture wrote: I finally made one that I think looks better...

This one seems more uniform:

{image}
Nice! :)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:54 am

These are pretty cool. The last one has some odd vertices at the North (?) pole. The textures themselves are really interesting.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Gekko wrote:These are pretty cool. The last one has some odd vertices at the North (?) pole. The textures themselves are really interesting.
Now that you mention it I see them. I'll fix those with my next planet(s). It's just a matter of skipping one little step...

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I think these look really nice, beautiful work.

Since your asking for consturctive crit, I'd say your earlier treasure worlds and the lava world in the beginning shared the same problem, sharp borders and differences in texture that made the rock part of the lava world in aprticular look like it didn't belong. The newer treasure world is better, but Ithink the textures still look a bit off. You went from very sharp difference in texture to what looks almost liek the same texture, just in a different colour. How to solve that, I dunno. Hopethat is helpful in some small way.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Lukipela wrote:I think these look really nice, beautiful work.

Since your asking for consturctive crit, I'd say your earlier treasure worlds and the lava world in the beginning shared the same problem, sharp borders and differences in texture that made the rock part of the lava world in aprticular look like it didn't belong. The newer treasure world is better, but Ithink the textures still look a bit off. You went from very sharp difference in texture to what looks almost liek the same texture, just in a different colour. How to solve that, I dunno. Hopethat is helpful in some small way.

Yes, I agree. I haven't given up on the treasure world yet. There's definately too sharp of an edge where the two textures meet. That's going to be the focus of the next one that I make.

Rezzoplis
Orz *camper*

Post by Rezzoplis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:27 am

I'd like to see a Slave-Shielded Radioactive World with a Water World Moon. And make the star White.
SUPRISE AND TERROR!