The Turning - New Race II: Shu-Seng

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

The Turning - New Race II: Shu-Seng

Post by kingschosen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 am

Once again, sorry for the pitiful drawing. I'm going to try and starting altering them in GIMP.

EDIT: Changed the history to deviate from the Shofixti.

EDIT 2: Slightly changed the Shu-Seng's society. Slightly changed the functionality of the Reaver.

The Shu-Seng developed under a slave system and cared little for technology or social advancement. The Shu-Seng were divided into three groups: royalty (Highers), commoners (Familiars), and slaves (Sods). Highers controlled lives of Familiars and Sods, and they were not allowed to be educated or question the Higher's authority. Above the Highers was the Emperor, and it was he that controlled the Shu-Seng.

A hundred years ago, the Bm’Mp introduced technology and, subsequently, space travel to their culture. The Shu-Seng rejected the Bm'Mp and fought for traditions and shunned advancement. Their emperor declared that it was a mortal sin, punishable by death, if any Shu-Seng was caught practicing the “New Ways”; however, when the K’tang and Ploxis began their invasion of the Shu-Seng homeworld, the Shu-Seng were helpless. Melee weaponry could not compare with advanced technology and the devastation that it wrought upon their world. The benevolent protectors, the Regothe, and the battle-hardened Bm’Mp rushed to the aid on the stubborn Shu-Seng.

The Regothian and Bm’Mponian armies quickly brought the K’tang and Ploxis starfleets to their knees. The Regothe and Bm’Mp forced a treaty upon the K’tang and Ploxis ensuring that they would never attack the defenseless Shu-Seng.

The war alone was still not enough for the Shu-Seng to abandon their ancient lifestyle. The Familiars and the Sods started to realize the abhorrent nature of their culture, and eventually, a civil war erupted. The sheer numbers of the Familiars and the Sods were enough to overthrow their system of government. Anarchy reigned, and soon, the Familiars and Sods were fighting each other.

Having had enough of the Shu-Seng, the Bm'Mp turned their backs on them, and were content with letting them war with each other. However, the Regothe, not wanting to see any race suffer, went to the Shu-Seng homeworld and introduced a system of monarchical democracy and stabilized the society.

Slowly, the Shu-Seng adopted technology and intertwined it within their sense of tradition. Eventually, with the help of the Regothe they developed a star fighter and schools to teach technology and flight. In order to understand the Shu-Seng ship, the Reaver, one must understand the society of the Shu-Seng.

The Shu-Seng have a very short life span: the average Shu-Seng lives 11 years. Reproductive maturity is reached at around 6 months and “adult” status is proclaimed on the first birthday. All information has to be learned very quickly and concisely. A Shu-Seng spends an entire year training to become a pilot. Comparatively speaking, that is equivalent to a human spending 7 years training. While the Shu-Seng honor the dead and respect life, life is viewed as expendable. A Shu-Seng will gladly give his life in battle, and to them, it is as natural as breathing. The Shu-Seng focus on a “hive-mind” mentality and will stop at nothing to protect the race’s well-being and the orders of their monarch.

The Shu-Seng have an enormous reproductive rate; even more so than the Shofixti. A female can birth a cluster of up to 250 eggs. The Shu-Seng gestation period is 29 days; from conception to hatching. They are insect-like and rodent like in appearance.

Aforementioned, their ship, the Reaver, mimics their society. It is a small, ambling ship with a moderate rate of speed but is extremely maneuverable. Shu-Seng drones fill the Reaver's crew compartments with 20 members. Like the Bm’Mp Impaler, the Reaver’s main weapon is tertiary. The spinning blade of the Reaver is always churning while in flight. The ship has a mounted chain laser, that because of its terrible inaccuracy, the Shu-Seng followed the teachings of the Zerg: fire as much as you can as often as you can. Unfortunately, the chain laser quickly exhausts battery power, so it is used with caution. Giving in to the Shu-Seng’s suicidal nature, the Reaver’s secondary weapon is not a weapon directly. It is a self tractor beam that locks onto the enemy vessel and pulls the Reaver straight against the opposing ship’s hull. Obviously, this is a precarious situation of the small Reaver, but it allows the spinning blade time to chew holes. If a Reaver can manage to attach itself to the enemy’s flank, the Shu-Seng captain will be at his most potent point of offense.

Last edited by kingschosen on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: New Race II: Shu-Seng

Post by Lukipela » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm

This race sounds very shofixti-y. They're feudal, were uplifted, mass produce and live short lives. The difference being that they were more forcibly uplifted, live even shorter lives and reproduce even more quickly. The culture and attributes just makes them feel a tad too similar.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Hmmm, I can see where you were coming from. I tried to make distinctions between them and the Shofixti, and in fact, I need to brush up on my history. I did not know that the Shofixti came from a feudal system.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Luki, how does that sound? Still too close?

Alen
Hunam adventurer

Post by Alen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 am

I didn't get to read the first post so I cant comment on the pieces you removed, but to me the ship sounds quite like the Shofixti's vessel. One question though, what happens if the Reaver melee's an Impaler head on? :P

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 am

Alen wrote:I didn't get to read the first post so I cant comment on the pieces you removed, but to me the ship sounds quite like the Shofixti's vessel. One question though, what happens if the Reaver melee's an Impaler head on? :P
Same thing as when The Juggernaut runs into The Blob full-steam: universal annihilation.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 am

Alen wrote:I didn't get to read the first post so I cant comment on the pieces you removed, but to me the ship sounds quite like the Shofixti's vessel.
Out of curiosity, how so? Yes, both are quick and maneuverable, but the Scout really doesn't have an offense without offing itself. The Reaver, on the other hand, has a high potential for offense without dying.
Alen wrote:One question though, what happens if the Reaver melee's an Impaler head on? :P
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Alen
Hunam adventurer

Post by Alen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 am

Well, they both also have low crew count, low battery, and when all else fails. Suicide. ;)

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Alen wrote:Well, they both also have low crew count, low battery, and when all else fails. Suicide. ;)
But the Shu-Seng can't commit suicide.

Alen
Hunam adventurer

Post by Alen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

kingschosen wrote:
Giving in to the Shu-Seng’s suicidal nature, the Reaver’s secondary weapon is not a weapon directly. It is a self tractor beam that locks onto the enemy vessel and pulls the Reaver straight against the opposing ship’s hull. Obviously, this is a precarious situation of the small Reaver, but it allows the spinning blade time to chew holes. If a Reaver can manage to attach itself to the enemy’s flank, the Shu-Seng captain will be at his most potent point of offense.
I assume that this would be an if all else fails try to take out a couple of crew from the other ship before you die method wouldn't it be?