The Turning - New Race I: Bm'Mp

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

The Turning - New Race I: Bm'Mp

Post by kingschosen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 am

This is the first of my 10 new races that I'm adding to my SC world. First, I want to apologize for the quality of the picture. It is, of course, a rough sketch done by hand. And, I'm a horrible artist... really horrible. Eventually, I would like to do a digital drawing as well as 3D model... but I guess that will have to wait. Again, sorry. But here it is... the Bm'Mp!

The Bm'Mp evolved under coarse, volatile conditions. Their home planet, Diablesque, is a molten pit overrun with volcanoes; while rivers of lava flow through their cities, and the noxious, sulfuric air would be enough to kill a human within seconds. Their terrifying appearance can be a bit unsettling at first. They are bipedal with thick, leathery maroon skin. Males have two large horns that grow vertically from their temples. They stand roughly the size of a human, with black eyes, and have mouths full of razor teeth.

Bm'Mp share the same space within the Kessari Quadrant with their dearest, and closest allies, the Regothe. These two races have formed a strong bond throughout their history, so it was with little surprise that the Bm'Mp and the Regothe were the first races in the Kessari Quadrant to stalwartly fight the Keetron and successfully fend them off.

The Bm'Mp are fearless warriors, and they prefer to crash first into the fray rather that to sit idly. Their ship, the Impaler, effortlessly defines their nature. It is a medium sized ship that can house 14 crew members. It has moderate speed and turning, but what the Impaler lacks in maneuverability it makes up for in destructive prowess. The Impaler is a difficult ship to master and only the most talented Bm'Mp can successfully pilot one.

The nose of the ship (called a natas) is fashioned into a point. The natas is the only part of the Impaler that is not made on Diablesque. Instead, it is made on Petram, the Regothe homeworld. Ellurium (the same material the Regothe ship, the Shell, is made with) is harvested from Regothian mines and made for the Bm'Mp. The butt of the natas is then fitted with shock absorbers and attached to the Impaler. While the natas is the main weapon of the Impaler it is tertiary. Thrusters are fitted on the Impaler and can push the ship to blistering speeds allowing the natas the momentum needed to ram another ship's hull. An EMP cannon is also constructed on the dorsal fin of the Impaler. The EMP can knock an enemy ship's controls out for a few seconds. During these few moments, an experienced Bm'Mp captain is at his dealiest. An uncontrollable ship is easy prey for the Impaler.

Last edited by kingschosen on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: New race: Bm'Mp

Post by Nuclear » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:18 am

Oh yeah, so now someone decide to make their own race and describe it in detail. :roll:
http://www.star-control.com/forum/index ... l#msg31210
Doesn't anyone remember the HabCorperal? I actually edited this topic for posterity sake :)

Hmmm, the Bm'Mp you say? How would that be pronounced? Bim-Imp? But anyways, sounds like an ok race idea. I could imagine a large, reptilian race that has evolved on a terrifying, almost Mycon shattered style, world. As for the ship, melee combat has always been a little sketchy, I can kind of imagine this ship like a Harika/Yorn ravager from the third game. The ship was equipped with a tether missile launcher and afterburners that would kill a crew each time you used it. Just take away the missiles and the crew killing afterburners and you kind of got your ship. Infact, it kind of looks like a ravager, what with the pointed nose and whatnot.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 am

It would be pronounced bum-mup.

I suppose I can see the likeness of the Harika/Yorn Ravager; if only in the pointed nose and the thruster ability. But, that's the only similarities. They are two fundamentally different vessels. Harika/Yorn use the thrusters to escape and fire the tether missiles from afar. While the Bm'Mp would use it as an offensive maneuver. Bm'Mp cannot afford to run away because they have no way of actually combating their enemy except for the natas. Well, I suppose the EMP could be used to eventually kill off crew, but it is far too weak to be considered a serious offensive weapon.

As far as their appearance goes, I believe your missing a rather obvious overtone. :)
Last edited by kingschosen on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm

What is the significance of the material? you go to great lenghts to explain that the cone is made of a different material, but not why it is. Super hard or something?

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Lukipela wrote:What is the significance of the material? you go to great lenghts to explain that the cone is made of a different material, but not why it is. Super hard or something?
It is. I suppose that's an oversight on my part. I was going to explain the qualities of the material when I talked about the Regothe Shell.

Alen
Hunam adventurer

Re: New Race I: Bm'Mp

Post by Alen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 am

Sounds pretty cool, but might be very underpowered against ships with a high turning capacity.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Re: New Race I: Bm'Mp

Post by kingschosen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 am

Alen wrote:Sounds pretty cool, but might be very underpowered against ships with a high turning capacity.
It's funny because those sentiments were a far-cry from the last time I posted something like this. I actually toned down a lot of the ships.

Last bumped by kingschosen on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 am.