[WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Kwayne » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 am

My silence took long enough, so I just thought I'd check in.

I'm currently working on the Alliance Victory screen. The thing is that I usually draw 1 character per picture and even then I feel shamefully slow. This pic has seven characters, but even so I'd be done by now would I not be addicted to playing Terraria totally ineffectively, digging out tunnels and tidying them up unnecessarily while my RL room is a complete mess. Imagine what happens when Starbound comes out -- same damn thing on infinite planets! (http://playstarbound.com/)

On topic though, the thing is coming. The background and the planet -- the simple part -- are already done and the characters are halfway there.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Kwayne wrote:My silence took long enough, so I just thought I'd check in.
That's my line ;)

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Kwayne wrote:I'm currently working on the Alliance Victory screen. The thing is that I usually draw 1 character per picture and even then I feel shamefully slow. This pic has seven characters, but even so I'd be done by now would I not be addicted to playing Terraria totally ineffectively, digging out tunnels and tidying them up unnecessarily while my RL room is a complete mess. Imagine what happens when Starbound comes out -- same damn thing on infinite planets! (http://playstarbound.com/)

On topic though, the thing is coming. The background and the planet -- the simple part -- are already done and the characters are halfway there.
Yay!

My philosophy* when it comes to doing what I want (and spending my time how I want) is that it's my time and as long as I'm enjoying it it's probably worth it.** I just played through Rage again. Not a valuable use of my time but, hell, it was fun.

Star Control wise I had really wanted the demo back to the point it was originally at - with ships flying around - by the end of October. I didn't want to get hopes up so I didn't mention this explicitly. Which was a good thing as I didn't manage it. Not by a long way.

I did get quite a lot of work done but nothing showable. Actually the only thing I can show right now is that I Git believes I committed a whole bunch of stuff.

Comparing this to my earlier git picture you can see things ramping-up. In fact a 16 day commit streak is my longest ever, on pretty much any personal project I've worked on I think.

So what did I achieve? Well... it's hard to explain but I'm going to anyway. Just not in this thread - I'll start a new thread off topic so that those who're interested in the shadowy world of programming can see what I'm doing and those who aren't can ignore it.

*To be read in Asuka's voice (English dub) from Evangelion when saying "Philosophy huh?"
** With the caveats that I shouldn't be causing grieves bodily harm, mental anguish or contravening too many local laws.Each to their own though.

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Here's the now presentable Alliance Victory screen.

(Probably -- hopefully -- it's Hierarchy counterpart will be easier to do.)

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 am

I worked a little bit on the audio/music so far...been crazy busy 0_o! But, I enjoy music and it relaxes me...

Anyway, I will get back to you guys when I have more than two sample song.

REALLY REALLY GOOD work Kwayne!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 am

Very nice victory screen.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 am

Kwayne wrote:Here's the now presentable Alliance Victory screen.

(Probably -- hopefully -- it's Hierarchy counterpart will be easier to do.)

The screen is awesome! I'm sure the hiearchy one will be easier, as it's just a Ur Quan slimewad.
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Nice! I like it 8-)

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 am

I don't like Syreen, Arilou and Chenjesu... The rest of the Alliance is very well done.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 pm

the arilou needs to be more sc3 like and the syreen needs boobs.