Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:25 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

We're still waiting Dragon!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 am 
Reborn Shofixti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:43 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Lukipela wrote:
We're still waiting Dragon!

5 kittens died because they held their breath waiting for this project to complete!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:24 am 
Hunam adventurer

Hey any update on this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:03 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

hansolo0 wrote:
Hey any update on this?

yeah, the project has aged nicely though the code is showing some signs of code rot here and there. that's what bad maintenance does to your code. luckily most of it is still salvageable but 25% will have to be reprogrammed from scratch. also, the creators are close to retiring because of their old age so hopefully they can complete this project before they have to go to a nursing home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:08 pm 
Pootworm

Angelfish wrote:
also, the creators are close to retiring because of their old age so hopefully they can complete this project before they have to go to a nursing home.
With any luck I'll stop thinking of research projects to tackle before I have to check into a nursing home. Dragon's the main man though . . .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:53 pm 
Reborn Shofixti

I still have the occasional burst of activity although none of it has been specifically Star Control related. Actually I've been really busy working on general library clean-up this year - which is kind of good because I've tied up a lot of loose ends but kind of bad because it's distracting.

Looking at my work log (not shown) I was doing quite well up to August and then two things happened. The first was that I have only one major loose end left to tie off but it's a fundamental change in how I load and save objects. I grossly underestimated how much work it would be and haven't had the energy to start on it (see the picture below). The second was the collapse of the African Bank which had me pulling long hours fixing things for our client's client's portfolios in my real life TM job.

The BACKLOG above is the work that I have planned, you'll see there are only 4 stories left to go (it may not seem like much but from my point of view it's an incredible milestone). The numbers represent estimates in 1/4 days and should include the entire effort for finishing a story. i.e. writing the new 'feature' code, testing, committing and retro-fitting into anything existing. The problem is with the story at the top of the backlog: Write a memory cachable IndexTree.. The estimate of two and a half days is wrong. Probably by about 2 weeks. Which means I should break it up into small stories that are easier to work on but (as I said) I haven't had the energy to do this. The other tasks in the backlog are just grunt work that require little thinking.

The ICEBOX are unplanned stories, they're in no particular order. For example: nothing in the EPICS collision detection or tile editor are required by Star Control. Behind Enemy Lines would require stories from the tile editor epic but... that's a different kettle of fish. Star Control needs stories from both the user interface (menus) and mesh type (space ships) epics and those are what I intend to plan next. Unfortunately those are the two biggest outstanding piece of work I have; green is work that's done blue is work in the icebox and yellow is work in the backlog.

tl; dr
More kittens may be in grave danger if they continue holding their breath :| Nevertheless I'm still working on Star Control 1 (conceptually)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Out of subject but still: what is this Agile story planning software? Never saw any interface like that before. It seems more fun to play with than Atlassian's JIRA which is the one I used a lot previously.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:03 pm 
Orz *camper*

Dragon,

You've probably already said this, but what language is Star Control 1 written in? I think I heard that SC2 is in C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 am 
Reborn Shofixti

glory_device wrote:
Out of subject but still: what is this Agile story planning software? Never saw any interface like that before. It seems more fun to play with than Atlassian's JIRA which is the one I used a lot previously.

It's Pivotal Tracker - the original version not the Beta. It's nice and simple to use, particularly for small teams or projects that don't require a lot of development reporting. I can't imagine using JIRA for personal projects; it's just too administrative.

sakalava47 wrote:
You've probably already said this, but what language is Star Control 1 written in? I think I heard that SC2 is in C.

I don't know actually. I'd guess it was originally 80286 assembly with maybe C for game-play specifics. The rather terrible Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum ports must have been purely 6510 and Z80 assembly respectively. Fred Ford would be the best person to answer this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next