[WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Niffiwan
Silly Supox
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Niffiwan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 am

oldlaptop wrote:Thrilled to know this is still alive! :D-smf
Yes, so am I!
Member since March 14, 2003

User avatar
Zeracles
Pootworm
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Zeracles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:20 am

Cool, Dragon! Hopefully I can find some time soon to do a 3D test of the starmap generator and put that code in a directly-usable form.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Lukipela » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Get it done already!

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Dragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Niffiwan wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:Thrilled to know this is still alive! :D-smf
Yes, so am I!
Me also too! :D
Zeracles wrote:Cool, Dragon! Hopefully I can find some time soon to do a 3D test of the starmap generator and put that code in a directly-usable form.
Good, good! I have been giving (on and off) the strategic game some thought. How to bring it kicking and screaming into the 21st century and all...
Lukipela wrote:Get it done already!
Well as you insist. 8-)

User avatar
Zeracles
Pootworm
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Star Control * remake

Post by Zeracles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 am

I've converted the starmap link-generating code (which incorporates Death 999's max efficiency method for closed loops) from matlab/octave to C (not a numerical nightmare but still quite fiddly). Well, most of it - I left out the prototypical parts of the matlab version. And this one only works with 3D input, but 2D input can be converted to 3D with awk '{print $0, 0}' in_2D > in_3D or similar. Code is here. I improved the matlab version a little as well in case anyone's interested.

filenamein determines the name of the text file with star positions it looks for. I tested it on some simple data and its result (the branches output) was identical to the matlab version's but breaktesting is yet to come. It'll be interesting to see how it performs on large input stellar distributions (further optimisation is possible but I did take some care when writing it). And it runs 3D stuff but I haven't actually looked at any of its 3D output yet ;D-smf
Dragon wrote:Good, good! I have been giving (on and off) the strategic game some thought. How to bring it kicking and screaming into the 21st century and all...
If there are tactics/gameplay that require the calculation of additional quantities from the link structure I guess that would be where to go with this code next. Something tells me this thread probably already contains such ideas . . .

On an unrelated note, would you welcome help with visual art resources? Probably not from me, but someone else might be up for it!

EDIT: adjusted links
Last edited by Zeracles on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

User avatar
Mormont
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Mormont » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Dragon may want to change some of this, but here are the additional map objects in SC1...

There were three types of planets: Life Worlds, Mineral Worlds, and Dead Worlds (always one planet per star). There were also three types of installations you could build: Fortifications, Mines, and Colonies. Mines are always on Mineral Worlds, Colonies always on life worlds. Fortifications can be on any world type and can be on the same world as a Mine/Colony.

You would set the number of installations for each side (including "Fort Mines" and "Fort Colonies") in the editor, as well as the number of uninhabited worlds of each in each side's half of the map. Worlds without installations would start out unexplored, and you wouldn't find out the type of planet until you got there.

Then there were ships. Alliance and Hierarchy could both start with up to 7 depending on the scenario. You would set which ship types each side starts with and the general relative position of each ship - near, medium, far, or random. Far would be in the middle of the map, near toward the back of your end.

Some scenarios had a starbase for one or both sides. It would always be generated at the back of your side's end.

Finally, some scenarios had precursor artifacts randomly scattered around the starmap in uninhabited worlds. I really don't know how often they occurred if enabled for a scenario.

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Dragon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Ack, my message got eaten. I'll post again tomorrow.

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Dragon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Zeracles wrote:I've converted the starmap link-generating code (which incorporates Death 999's max efficiency method for closed loops) from matlab/octave to C (not a numerical nightmare but still quite fiddly). Well, most of it - I left out the prototypical parts of the matlab version. And this one only works with 3D input, but 2D input can be converted to 3D with awk '{print $0, 0}' in_2D > in_3D or similar. Code is here. I improved the matlab version a little as well in case anyone's interested.
Nice, I had a brief look at the C code. I'm gonna have to hit it with a compiler/debugger to understand it so I'll play with it this weekend.
Zeracles wrote:On an unrelated note, would you welcome help with visual art resources? Probably not from me, but someone else might be up for it!
Yes definitively! I still need the crew animations/frames; Hierarchy and Alliance victory screens; user interface (although I can do this); and event animations (precursor artefact found, colony founded, mine destroyed etc...). I'm not fussed if it's 3d models or 2D pictures.

User avatar
Kwayne
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Kwayne » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Dragon wrote:
Zeracles wrote:On an unrelated note, would you welcome help with visual art resources? Probably not from me, but someone else might be up for it!
Yes definitively! I still need the crew animations/frames; Hierarchy and Alliance victory screens; user interface (although I can do this); and event animations (precursor artefact found, colony founded, mine destroyed etc...). I'm not fussed if it's 3d models or 2D pictures.
That "someone" would be me. I've made most of the UQM-HD crew animations, some critters and captain screens too. I still have those workfiles and I can make new material as well. Check http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by glory_device » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 am

Out of curiosity...how is it going in terms of Sound effect and music? I might be able to contribute a little bit if you need :)
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Post Reply