Looking for ship ideas

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Looking for ship ideas

Post by Shiver »

kingschosen wrote:Even all my ship ideas?
Well okay. I will give you my opinion without being too scathing since you asked politely. Just now I skimmed through all of your ship descriptions. I really do not like your writing, artwork or ships at all. I did like the idea for a conditional cloaking device which only works while its ship has a full battery. That mechanic could potentially be very fun to play around with. A lot of people seem to think the Ilwrath Avenger's cloak is useless because the ship's position is still given away, but the real benefits of the cloak are 1) it prevents enemy homing weapons from tracking and 2) it hides the ship's facing angle, and yes this does matter.
runonthespot
Arilou wiseguy

Post by runonthespot »

Here's one that I had when I was a kid playing SC2 back in the day (and I've never played SC3, due to general loathing that everyone has expressed about it, but I recognise that this has something in common with a missile weapon in SC3).

Picture a pair of alien species that evolved on two co-located planets in a certain system (Perhaps even a binary star). These two species were both fairly benign, non territorial, and presently stumbled across each other. The initial forays were very negative because their biochemistry was mutually lethal. They are destined to never work together and yet :

At some point, they devise a means of communicating and even cooperating. This "ship" is a ship of two halves- each a similar design to the other. Each half fits the other, and they communicate with each other via an enormously dense laser connection.

As a fighting ship, the primary weapon is that the ships split in two, with a beam weapon between. I always envisaged holding down a button to get the two halves to move away from each other (with a beam between them), and letting go of the button for the two halves to snap back together (woe-betide an enemy that is in between the two halves when their sharp fractal hulls that match only each other snap together). You can imagine combat as either gunning straight for the enemy, then splitting to give him a searing beam, or opening up the ships to create as wide a beam as possible and then flying erractically, hoping to either randomly snag or snap together over an enemy.

In my drawings, which I'll have to dig out some day, the alternative weapon was one of the halves anchors in place and stars to spin with the other spinning around it, gradually moving further away, like a spiral.

Of course, you can imagine why I have yet to implement this particular ship, but the idea of two species that were so alien to each other as to be poisonous always intrigued me. Romeo & Juliet races.
Mike Renwick
http://www.twitter.com/runonthespot
http://www.youtube.com/runonthespot
"You have made a good start and are to be commended. Now go finish the job." - Spathi High Council
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman »

runonthespot wrote:Here's one that I had when I was a kid playing SC2 back in the day (and I've never played SC3, due to general loathing that everyone has expressed about it, but I recognise that this has something in common with a missile weapon in SC3).

At some point, they devise a means of communicating and even cooperating. This "ship" is a ship of two halves- each a similar design to the other. Each half fits the other, and they communicate with each other via an enormously dense laser connection.
I hate to break it to you, but this idea has already been used in the Star Control Timewarp game. It can split it two just like you described and damage people with the laser inbetween the two halves.
kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen »

Shiver wrote:
kingschosen wrote:Even all my ship ideas?
Well okay. I will give you my opinion without being too scathing since you asked politely. Just now I skimmed through all of your ship descriptions. I really do not like your writing, artwork or ships at all.
It's cool. That seems to be the general consensus around here, so I'm not at all offended by it. I've more or less abandoned it all anyway.
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop »

Lobsterman wrote: I hate to break it to you, but this idea has already been used in the Star Control Timewarp game. It can split it two just like you described and damage people with the laser inbetween the two halves.
It doesn't snap together and damage whatever's in between though (in fact that particular split-apart system is so awful it's probably better to use the boring machinegun...)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman »

oldlaptop wrote:
Lobsterman wrote: I hate to break it to you, but this idea has already been used in the Star Control Timewarp game. It can split it two just like you described and damage people with the laser inbetween the two halves.
It doesn't snap together and damage whatever's in between though (in fact that particular split-apart system is so awful it's probably better to use the boring machinegun...)
Yeah I understood it as he meant the lasers in between did damage. I think the ship works allright, then again I have only tried it against computer opponents.

As a side note, whoah this board is impossible to log onto whilst intoxicated.

EDIT: The ship in your avatar has more modules when you are online...?
runonthespot
Arilou wiseguy

Post by runonthespot »

Ah well, I guess it was an obvious development. My view is that there's always room to implement an old idea, but better :)

At some stage I'll get to implement a similar ship in Dark Quadrant and then we can revisit this thread. ;-)
Mike Renwick
"You have made a good start and are to be commended. Now go finish the job." - Spathi High Council
Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver »

runonthespot: I like your species idea more than your ship. The ship is interesting, but there is no way I'm programming anything that splits into separate modules and merges back again. It would be difficult to program plus I don't think a splitting ship would be all that fun to play with once the novelty wears off. This general concept has come up a few times, I think. There's been a lot of ship talk in #uqm-arena over the years so what has appeared in this thread and what hasn't is kind of a blur!
runonthespot
Arilou wiseguy

Post by runonthespot »

Okay, if we're talking about a ship that fits into the existing SC2 design and is reasonable to program, let me give you some mechanic ideas:

-A ship where the special weapon is that if you are within a (very) close range of the enemy, you temporarily switch controls with them (i.e. each starts to control the other's ship). You can use this to run your enemy into a planet, or turn him around, or just sit while the enemy find themselves firing at their own ship. Duration is just a few seconds, the effect is very visible (maybe the ship taken over changes colour?). Backstory would be an alien species that develops an extremely short range teleportation device, but it's only flaw is to maintain univerasal balance or time-space integrity, another life-form has to be simultaneously teleported to where they had been, at the same time. So it's a "tele-swap" device. Initially developed to enable citizens to give their lives for their leaders by swapping to take a bullet, or avoid photos from the paparazzi, it was extended to work with starships, primarily for diplomacy, but in war situations, the crew are all trained to operate the machinery of any starship, so would regularly teleswap into opponents ships to steer them off target, into conveniently located planets or asteroids, or to allow the enemy, to inadvertently find themselves firing on their own ship, while this species sit out the 5 seconds before teleswapping back to finish the job.

-A "yoyo" like energy blade device, that would shoot out, similarly to the Kohr-ah's spinning blade, but limited to one shot at a time. Holding down the key would keep it moving in the same direction to a certain distance, letting go of the key would have it take the shortest path back to the originating ship. It is pure energy, so it doesn't actually collide with anything (including planets). The distance/range is a function of ship energy. The benefit over kohr-ah or the like is that you can fire it, turn around and run away, and basically have the blade following your ship, making it painful for an enemy to follow you. (because he could catch damage from it on the way out and the way back.). It kills anything living, so would be effective against ur-quan fighters or orz. Mess with the speed of it, and speed of return for interesting effects.

-Disorientation device-> Applies some randomness to the enemies controls.

-A dematerializing device. Make it identical to the mechanic of the Utwig shield, only instead of making it impervious to damage, it instead makes it turn temporarily into a wraith, and able to pass through physical things. It would still be harmed by all energy weapons, lasers etc, but would pass through a planet, missile, enemy ship, bullets. Cue the teleswap species above taking it over, and "wraithing" it into a planet before "unwraithing" for immediate self-destruction.
Mike Renwick
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard »

I like the idea of the ability to swap ship controls, but the limit would have to be very short, or only in a certain range before you have to switch back.