Looking for ship ideas

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Looking for ship ideas

Post by Shiver » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 am

There are some vacancies in Project 6014 for new ships so I'm opening this up to community input. Post anything from ship sketches to weapon concepts. If any of your ideas are good enough you may be able to play with them at some point in the future.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Looking for ship ideas

Post by Alvarin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 am

KingsChosen has plenty.

Do you have some general specifications that could be used?
Like say "reckless aggressive species" or "proud but causious". Maybe even "good-hearted but very very tight"

That could help with design.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 am

Alvarin wrote:Do you have some general specifications that could be used?
Like say "reckless aggressive species" or "proud but causious". Maybe even "good-hearted but very very tight"

That could help with design.
Characterization of aliens would definitely help, but I can't do that without entering spoiler territory.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 am

Even without names? Just general racial tendencies would be much help. I can't see anything productive in just tossing in ship designs. Weapons might be easy, but the basics are already present in SC1/2. Secondaries might be brainstormed, but already will need SOMETHING to be based upon..

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 am

Something not yet present in UQM and perhaps would require some extra coding is chaff/flare systems, hindering the guided weaponry, as a secondary.
I envision it as two bright balls, size of Andosynth bubble, going spread backwards in slow speed, at + and - 135 degrees to the ship's original vector. Original speed inherited. 1/3 battery cost. Short duration.

Unfocused laser - total range of twice that of VUX. Close range 8hp/frame, reduced exponentially, far half 1hp/frame.

Active tracking missile- long range, like Earthling's, needs "ping" of radar as secondary. Meaning that you fire it, it goes straight. Use secondary - the missile changes direction to current enemy ship position. Flight path corrected on each separate secondary use. For balansing every correction might get like 30degrees restriction. Close range fly-by automatic fragmentation. Direct hit 6hp, single fragment 2hp, 8 fragments. 1/4 battery for launch, 1 battery for ping. Several frames for ping cool-down. 1 instance weapon (needs to expire before next shot).

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Sticky ship: Upon touching the enemy vessel, the ships are glued together for some duration of time.

Decoy ship: The ship spawns in with some quantities of decoys than move randomly in the arena. The decoys don't do any damage, and are merely holograms or something similar. The player controlling the ship sees the original one. This would take some tweaking due to the camera focusing on the ships.

Ramming ship: The ship has one close ranged weapon at front which does more damage based on the velocity of the ship. A faster approach, a "ramming assault" if you want, does more damage than a long ranged shot from safety.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Just some random ideas from someone who isn't that experienced in NetMelee.

Controlled long range weapon ship

There are two long range weapons in the game that the player can control to some extent, the Chenjesu and Kohr-Ah. So adding a weapon that not only allows you to control not only where it stops might be fun. Instead of having the projectile actually do damage, it could be different and be fully under your control, with you navigating it instead of the ship. Say it has a 30 second lifetime and every three seconds it emits a puff of flame, or drops something that homes in on an enemy and pushes on it, or emits a pulse that confuses any enemies close by. The ship could be a slow and heavier ship with poor turning capabilities and a short range main weapon. Using this special weapon could be a a way to set up a defense field against incoming faster ships, or just to harass them.

Rotating turret ship

I could see this working two ways. The ship would have a poor turning rate, and use the turret to equalize this. Either this could be an automatic thing, a turret that spins around constantly so that you have to time your shot with where the enemy is. In that case the special could change the rotation direction, or freeze the rotation for a set amount of time. Or it could be something you control with the special. Pressing the special starts rotation (but eats battery) but only in one direction. Or maybe it rotates slightly every time you fire the main weapon. If the ship has fair acceleration and speed but poor turning rate, it will be trying to pass an enemy and hit it, and then try to keep a faster ship off its tail with the turret.

Dividing ship

A small and agile craft with an unfortunately wide profile, making it easy to hit from a distance. Except the special weapon breaks the ship apart into two or three parts that move in a chaotic pattern for a few seconds, only to reattach after this. Speed and direction changes with this. If a piece gets hit it counts as a hit, so area effect weapons will be good counters, but single projectile weapons won't be as effective.

Rapid random fire ship

A main weapon with extremely rapid fire (much like the Supox) but with projectiles that weave out into different direction, creating something of a "cone of death" ahead of it. though it fires quickly, the projectiles aren't that quick and expire quickly, so smaller ships can brave the cone while trying to flank, as long as they are careful. Secondary weapon could be a random shield of some kind, that flickers on and off for some time while consuming battery.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I put some ideas on the UQM forum.

One is for a wide slow ship with a long-ranged laser that autotracks, but imperfectly - it smoothly turns in the direction of the target as if pulled by a spring (so it overshoots and comes back). Secondary ability is to manually halt rotation. Stopping fire resets the aim to forwards.

Large battery so you have time to get some tracking in, but not a very impressive regeneration rate so the enemy has time to swoop in and punish over-aggression.

Another was for a ship with a permanent indestructible mace head. It can be released as a projectile; if it hits the enemy ship, it causes damage equal to a planet collision. Colliding with your own mace head collects it again. The primary weapon should be more conventional and is aimed along a forward diagonal.

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 pm

You know for a second I didn't think you were talking about spaceSHIPS, like the things you fly. I thought you were talking about like, ships as in relationSHIPS.

I was legitimately confused.

Carry on.

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Cedric6014 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 am

Saria wrote:You know for a second I didn't think you were talking about spaceSHIPS, like the things you fly. I thought you were talking about like, ships as in relationSHIPS.

I was legitimately confused.

Carry on.
Different sort of ship. But we can give you relationship ideas too if you like Shiver.

I love Alvarin's manual tracking missile idea. There is fertile ground in that for sure.