GOB is still being updated (sorta starcon meets nethack)

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: GOB is still being updated (sorta starcon meets nethack)

Post by Nuclear » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

Roswell Device: Nullifies planet collision damage

Divine Favor: Gives a chance of Pkunk style resurrection

Utwig Masks: One of the masks increases the sell value of the ship. I think the other one occasionally blocks damage.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

hansolo0
Hunam adventurer

Post by hansolo0 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:31 am

thanks!

What about 'devil protects his own'?
and it appears for suppox that glob hurler makes your weapon shoot farther, then does
add blade make more shots per volley?

I should also add on the likes list that it is very addicting with the upgrades and ship selection, and support for various ships including earthling and a few others that I noticed was mentioned in this thread. I think in a lot of ways it's almost perfect balance of upgrades vs harder and more enemies, etc. (the addicting factor - very addicted right now!!).

On this dislikes, enemies often cut you off from your base or appear right in front of you or mob you at random times. Vux appeared on top of me and put its globules on me before I could do anything on the harder levels. Rainbow rift is very hard to trigger at times especially when enemies are pursuing you, you have to sit perfectly still in it for it to work!

Ships I've 'won' with : Yehat.

Ships that are good: Suppox, earthling cruiser, ''' mk3, Alary battleship! And

-nuff said for now

Ziper1221
Silly Supox

Post by Ziper1221 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Blade gives you collision damage
AFAIK glob former gives you a higher fire rate

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Is that FTP up sporatically or is the link no longer good. Can someone put this up on mediafire or something?

hansolo0
Hunam adventurer

Post by hansolo0 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:37 am

No the glob former (for the suppox) definitely improves blast strength. I still don't know what 'devil protects his own' for earthling cruiser does? I don't always see it available either???

Anyone know when and what the next update will be?

orz_tw
Hunam adventurer

Post by orz_tw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

The factor currently holding up the next release is my uncertainty over what I'm doing with Allegro. Older versions were using Allegro 4.0.2 IIRC, I'm currently compiling with Allegro 4.2.something and it (and the allegro example programs) crash sometimes on my computer. I may need to try porting to a better supported Allegro variant, maybe 5.0.x or 4.4.x.

new upgrades for the next version:
Mycon Plasma Shield: max 3 upgrades, grants 50%, 75%, and 100% respectively resistance to damage from your own shots

hansolo0:
Yes, Glob Former does increase supox main weapon damage (and battery cost). I think I posted a list of most or all upgrades with descriptions a bit ago.
I attempt to balance the upgrades vs harder enemies in the same general spirit as nethack. In my experience it tends to stay hard for the first 5-10 minutes or so, then settle in a medium mortality rates for a while, then get easier around 2-3 hours. Varying a lot depending upon what ship you play and when/where you find rainbow rifts.
I'll try out the Yehat sometime, I've never won with it on any version.
I don't think a strategic map / overgame could reasonably be balanced in the same game as the upgrade system, short of wiping out all upgrades which is contrary to the spirit of the game.
I might add a boss sometime, appearing after an hour or so of upgrading, initially as an absurdly well defended boss-egg that the player can simply ignore but gradually becoming more aggressive until after another hour or two the player is under constant threat from it. Victory condition would be killing the egg.

cymon:
On the next release I'll create a sourceforge page for it and host the file there.

nuclear:
Roswell Device: Correct. On some versions it may also nullify gravity & tractor beam effects and/or cause a small amount of healing.
Divine Favor: Correct. Buggy on some versions, but IIRC it's fixed now.
Utwig Masks: Correct.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Reiterating that the manual needs an update so that people know how to get started.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 pm

cymon wrote:Is that FTP up sporatically or is the link no longer good. Can someone put this up on mediafire or something?
Gekko lost his web hosting a while back. If he has a replacement website then he should post it in here. TBQH PoNaF itself should really be hosting Gob like I suggested earlier.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Shiver wrote:
cymon wrote:Is that FTP up sporatically or is the link no longer good. Can someone put this up on mediafire or something?
Gekko lost his web hosting a while back. If he has a replacement website then he should post it in here. TBQH PoNaF itself should really be hosting Gob like I suggested earlier.
I have? It's still up to the end of the year. But I agree, use PoNaF for hosting, other sites for mirroring.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

orz_tw
Hunam adventurer

Post by orz_tw » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:14 am

Latest version is now up on sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gob-tw/

This uses Allegro 4.2.3, and is crashing on exit for me. I may switch to Allegro 4.4 or 5.0 sometime in an attempt to fix that.