Slylandro: The Turning

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Slylandro: The Turning

Post by kingschosen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:57 am

EDIT: Changed the Slylandro's diplomacy stance.

Here is my take on the Slylandro according my Star Control developing story - The Turning.

After the destruction of the Sa-Matra, the League, wanting to unite the entire quadrant, reached out to the Slylandro. They helped them develop exosuits that allowed mobility, they taught them alien culture, and they taught them foreign diplomacy and government. In addition to everything, the League also fulfilled the Slylandro’s thirst for discovery and helped them develop a starship as well as placing a Slylandro on the League’s council.

When the League decided to help the Kessari Coalition the Slylandro were not thrilled. They felt that it was dangerous, and that it was not the League’s business; however, they supported their friends’ decision because of the past uplifting their society received.

In a very short time, the Slylandro have proven themselves in usefulness to their League allies. They are very diplomatic, but despite their best efforts, they usually find themselves seeking human council and ultimately siding with humans on many issues. They have also proven themselves on the battlefield by developing their new starship, the Noxium.

The Slylandro partially modeled it based upon their probes that they bought from the Melnorme during the Doctrinal War. They refined the vessel and customized it according to their culture and society. Like the old probe, the Noxium is very quick and can be difficult to handle due to its choppiness and slow turning. As before, it uses a very concentrated and short ranged electrical charge as its primary weapon. The Noxium’s biggest surprise for enemies is the corrosive, noxious gas it emits. The gas is released from hundreds of emitters all over the Noxium. The ship is engulfed, and as it moves it leaves a trail for any aggressive enemy to get caught in. The gas not only damages and slows the ship, but it also blacks out all visual equipment for a short time. The enemy captain will fly blind until the gas dissipates and the sensory equipment regains functionality.

Last edited by kingschosen on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Slylandro: The Turning

Post by Dyandod » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 am

kingschosen wrote:In a very short time, the Slylandro have proven themselves in usefulness to their League allies. They are very diplomatic and remain very neutral in opinions.
Neutral? I'd think that they'd be naturally biased toward the humans and the alliance. I'd agree that they probably think neutrality is important, but I'm thinking it would be more like they try pretty hard to be neutral, but they always end up leaning toward the side of the alliance and the humans especially.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts about that. The rest of it was great! And I love the new ship too. ("Noxium"? Oooooh... Aaaaah....)
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 am

You know, you're absolutely right. Changing that now.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:31 pm

I can see several potential issues with this ship. It moves fast and turns very slowly, and yet has a short-ranged weapon, which would probably be very difficult to actually get a shot with. The other weapon (if the Thraddash Torch is any guide) would be very easy for the enemy to avoid altogether. This thing would probably need to have either a good turning rate or some tertiary weapon to be useful, although again it's hard to say without seeing it ingame. On a positive note though, I really like the backstory and everything, this storyline is really getting to be interesting.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 pm

oldlaptop wrote:I can see several potential issues with this ship. It moves fast and turns very slowly, and yet has a short-ranged weapon, which would probably make it very difficult to actually get a good shot. The other weapon (if the Thraddash Torch is any guide) would be very easy for the enemy to avoid altogether. This thing would probably need to have either a good turning rate or some tertiary weapon to be useful, although again it's hard to say without seeing it ingame. On a positive note though, I really like the backstory and everything, this storyline is really getting to be interesting.
EDIT: Gah, how did that happen? Moderators, could you please delete this second post?
Last edited by oldlaptop on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:22 pm

oldlaptop wrote:I can see several potential issues with this ship. It moves fast and turns very slowly, and yet has a short-ranged weapon, which would probably be very difficult to actually get a shot with. The other weapon (if the Thraddash Torch is any guide) would be very easy for the enemy to avoid altogether. This thing would probably need to have either a good turning rate or some tertiary weapon to be useful, although again it's hard to say without seeing it ingame. On a positive note though, I really like the backstory and everything, this storyline is really getting to be interesting.
Hmmm, maybe you're right. I'll do a few tweaks on the ship to try and find a balance on paper.

And I'm glad you're starting to enjoy the story. I've actually started the fan-fic back up over in Heavy Space.