Project6014 demo release

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Project6014 demo release

Post by Dyandod » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 pm

For star system names, you might want to check the star at 453.4 : 312.7 and the constellation near 150 : 700
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:41 pm

This could be a bug, but I think it was intentional, as increased loading time was probably due to loading additional scripts, but if bug I'll post my findings -
Beta Messier was indeed much messier then rest of visited stars. First, nowhere in that star system did my lander's stunner work. On two of the planets there were bio-signs found in scan, but not visible on the planet. On one planet single lifeform, on the other whole lot of them. Those were stationary. Couple of planetoids with lifeforms and vacuum and too cold environments. on the second planet several energy signatures are overlapping.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Starcruiser
Silly Supox

Post by Starcruiser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:14 am

Hmm. I wonder if Beta Messier 1 is a brand new Lurg nesting ground? They look like little Melrnome's though :o

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Post by superbutcherx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Shiver, thanks for the props :) ! Really glad to have you on board. I could've never done half as decent AI as you've managed to do.
Alvarin wrote:This could be a bug, but I think it was intentional, as increased loading time was probably due to loading additional scripts, but if bug I'll post my findings -
Beta Messier was indeed much messier then rest of visited stars. First, nowhere in that star system did my lander's stunner work. On two of the planets there were bio-signs found in scan, but not visible on the planet. On one planet single lifeform, on the other whole lot of them. Those were stationary. Couple of planetoids with lifeforms and vacuum and too cold environments. on the second planet several energy signatures are overlapping.
Thanks, Alvarin! This is indeed a bug that I hadn't noticed. I think I've forgotten to initialize some of the relevant stuff like bio critters and something else at that star system. The funny thing is, that the bug isn't visible on OSX on which I'm programming. I guess the OSX compiler defaults the uninited values to 0, so there are no visible anomalies. Whereas on Win/Lin the uninited values get all sorts of random shit inside them and we're in trouble. Will fix the thing ASAP.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

First of all I guess I should say hi! I've been lurking this board for a long time on and off, and I grew up with the original star control 2 when it was released. The reason I finally made a user though, is because of this awesome mod/sequel! I'm completely blown away by how good everything is; the writing, the graphics, not to mention the music! I sure do hope this doesn't end up as one of the many scrapped UQM projects out there, because this stuff is actually really really good. At least what little I have seen of it.

I think I have "finished" the demo now. I've defeated the five Lurg ships and gotten owned right afterwards. I assume that's the only ending of the demo.

There are a few things that keep me up at night though. Literally, as I am more than a little obsessed with Star Control.
I suspect I haven't encountered all of the races that can be found in the demo. Specifically I am wondering if anyone can give me hints or even spoilers as to how I can find the Androsynth. In the news section of the star-control page I see one of the first posts about this mod/sequel and theres' a really kickass screenshot of the Androsynth, so that's why I assume they're in the game. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as even encountering an unfinished demo version of them would be awesome! I also hope you're using TheMisterCat's soundtrack for them if they are included or you ever include them. It fits them perfectly.

One more spoiler question: Can you encounter the Arilou in this demo?

Other than that I guess I should probably give some feedback on the actual gameplay or something :)

Apart from the demo being great, if I have to nitpick at stuff I gotta say it's really annoying with all those Kohr-Ah around, especially since you can't see their sphere of influence. Mainly because you never know (or at least you probably won't in the full version) whether it's a new alien race or just another Kohr-Ah/Slylandro ship.

The Lurg ship is also pretty annoying to fight. It's awesome design wise and I like it in general, but an incredibly turtle-based ship might become hopelessly annoying in the full version when it's the "main enemy" (if it will be) of the game. Having to fight through fleets of Lurg at several points in the game is a painful thought unless you're gonna use a quick and dirty head-on Chmmr assault every single time.

I also think the Syreen starbase commander doesn't fit all that well into the game. Then again what can she fit into? *Badum-tshhh*

Seriously though, like some other guy said earlier in this thread I feel the humor is kinda misplaced. It's fun for a moment when you get shocked because you really wouldn't imagine a Syreen starbase commander looking like that, but eventually you'll just percieve her as a Jar-Jar Binks-esque character, and you'll hope that they'd just added a plain Syreen (or something humorous but more fitting to the overall SC style) instead of a character that's semi-funny but breaks immersion a bit.

Those last three comments are just nitpicking though, and I'm sure this game will turn out pretty awesome regardless of what direction it takes. It sure does show a lot of promise so far! I wish you guys the best of luck and have to say I'm really grateful that somebody is doing something as awesome as this. I would've contributed if I wasn't fairly useless at most aspects of video game creation :D

Hope I didn't miss any spoiler tags.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 am

Bleeding Star wrote:Fair point. Endless melee against the same ship type can be kind of tedious. Any chance of mixed enemy battlegroups, or would it not make sense in terms of the story?
It could happen, though probably not very often.

After some thought, here is a good way to make combat in a Star Control campaign painfully difficult: Use predominately mixed enemy fleets and give the AI an intelligent ship selection script. At the first bout it should deploy its least powerful ship, then try to counter whatever the player has in the arena every time afterward. If the player withdraws their active ship during a victory sequence then the AI gets to pick their next ship in response to yours. Victory sequence withdrawals would have to be instantaneous to prevent the player from being a smart-ass and timing their escape to occur just after the AI sends in their replacement. This scheme would force the player to take ship losses during every major encounter. It doesn't belong in Project 6014, however.

Lobsterman wrote:The Lurg ship is also pretty annoying to fight. It's awesome design wise and I like it in general, but an incredibly turtle-based ship might become hopelessly annoying in the full version when it's the "main enemy" (if it will be) of the game. Having to fight through fleets of Lurg at several points in the game is a painful thought unless you're gonna use a quick and dirty head-on Chmmr assault every single time.
I don't think you need to spoiler any of that. The campaign's combat wouldn't be very much fun if any one ship type was featured through the majority of the fights, Lurg or not. The Lurg might need to be redesigned if they're too frustrating in general.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 am

Lobsterman wrote:I suspect I haven't encountered all of the races that can be found in the demo. Specifically I am wondering if anyone can give me hints or even spoilers as to how I can find the Androsynth. In the news section of the star-control page I see one of the first posts about this mod/sequel and theres' a really kickass screenshot of the Androsynth, so that's why I assume they're in the game. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as even encountering an unfinished demo version of them would be awesome! I also hope you're using TheMisterCat's soundtrack for them if they are included or you ever include them. It fits them perfectly.

I am 99% sure that you cannot encounter either the Androsynth or the Arilou in the demo. But I'm 99% sure that both races will be in the final game when it's done.

Lobsterman wrote:The Lurg ship is also pretty annoying to fight. It's awesome design wise and I like it in general, but an incredibly turtle-based ship might become hopelessly annoying in the full version when it's the "main enemy" (if it will be) of the game. Having to fight through fleets of Lurg at several points in the game is a painful thought unless you're gonna use a quick and dirty head-on Chmmr assault every single time.
Hmmm... I never thought of that. I mean, I always thought the Lurg ships were kind of annoying, but I never really thought about the fact that you'd be fighting tons more of them in the actual game. That's a very good point.

Lobsterman wrote:I also think the Syreen starbase commander doesn't fit all that well into the game. Then again what can she fit into? *Badum-tshhh*

Seriously though, like some other guy said earlier in this thread I feel the humor is kinda misplaced. It's fun for a moment when you get shocked because you really wouldn't imagine a Syreen starbase commander looking like that, but eventually you'll just percieve her as a Jar-Jar Binks-esque character, and you'll hope that they'd just added a plain Syreen (or something humorous but more fitting to the overall SC style) instead of a character that's semi-funny but breaks immersion a bit.
Anything that's Jar-Jar Binks-esque should DEFINITELY be avoided... but I don't think she's very much like that. And I know this is a widely talked-about issue, so I'm Cedric will spend time straightening it out. I guess we'll see what happens.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 am

Lobsterman wrote:
There are a few things that keep me up at night though. Literally, as I am more than a little obsessed with Star Control.
I suspect I haven't encountered all of the races that can be found in the demo. Specifically I am wondering if anyone can give me hints or even spoilers as to how I can find the Androsynth. In the news section of the star-control page I see one of the first posts about this mod/sequel and theres' a really kickass screenshot of the Androsynth, so that's why I assume they're in the game. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as even encountering an unfinished demo version of them would be awesome! I also hope you're using TheMisterCat's soundtrack for them if they are included or you ever include them. It fits them perfectly.

I assumed that the people who told you to go back at Alpha Vulpuculae were the Arilou. The Androsynth aren't in this game but they'll be in the full version.

Apart from the demo being great, if I have to nitpick at stuff I gotta say it's really annoying with all those Kohr-Ah around, especially since you can't see their sphere of influence. Mainly because you never know (or at least you probably won't in the full version) whether it's a new alien race or just another Kohr-Ah/Slylandro ship.
They play the same role as the Probes in UQM, and also allow you to get more RU to buy more ships. I think that there should be some way to tell them apart, like in UQM, the Probes were faster than all other ships, so you knew if one was chasing you.
The Lurg ship is also pretty annoying to fight. It's awesome design wise and I like it in general, but an incredibly turtle-based ship might become hopelessly annoying in the full version when it's the "main enemy" (if it will be) of the game. Having to fight through fleets of Lurg at several points in the game is a painful thought unless you're gonna use a quick and dirty head-on Chmmr assault every single time.
In UQM, you didn't fight fleet after fleet of them. If you were very clever you could fight only the Guards of the Sa-Matra at the end (though lots of people wanted to save the ZFP and visit Vela). I'm hoping this has a similar feeling.
I also think the Syreen starbase commander doesn't fit all that well into the game. Then again what can she fit into? *Badum-tshhh*

I agree. I also feel that too many of the lines are Comedic, so you cannot take operations there seriously. In UQM, they got the correct balance of seriousness and comedy, but the Syreen Commander is too much comedy and very little seriousness. It doesn't fit write.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:42 am

Bleeding Star wrote:
Yehat: When discussing how Nazi-like the Chmmr have become, the Yehat mention that they show no mercy and take no surrender. 1) As a warrior race, I wouldn't think the Yehat would have much of a problem killing the Kohr-Ah, who are pretty much monsters. 2) The Kohr-Ah never surrender anyway. Might want to re-phrase somehow.
1. The Yehat are now under Pkunk Guidance and their views have changed.
2. The Slylandro Surrender, but the Chmmr attack anyway

Also, someone in this thread mentioned finding something in the Messier Constellation. But I've searched it all and nothing can be found.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:24 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote: They play the same role as the Probes in UQM, and also allow you to get more RU to buy more ships. I think that there should be some way to tell them apart, like in UQM, the Probes were faster than all other ships, so you knew if one was chasing you.
The Slylandro disengauge and retreat if you try to combat. Also you can converse before battle.
chenjesuwizard wrote: Also, someone in this thread mentioned finding something in the Messier Constellation. But I've searched it all and nothing can be found.
Are you running the secong demo release?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.