Project6014 demo release

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Project6014 demo release

Post by Dyandod » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 am

Niffiwan wrote:
Dyandod wrote: Personally, I think that strays on the sarcastic-insulting side.
How so? Some men actually do prefer women like that. Google "fat admirer" if you don't believe me. Perhaps the good captain has just realized that he does as well after witnessing such a fine example. ;) In any case, the interpretation of whether the line is meant seriously or not can be left to the player.
Hmmm... I don't know, it just doesn't sound serious to me, and I feel like Moosey would agree. Maybe not though.
Bleeding Star wrote:
Niffiwan wrote: Actually, I thought the Syreen commander's personality was perfect. What I didn't like so much was Zelnick's attitude toward her, or at least some of the time.
I had problems with both. In fact, I was getting serious "sasssy fat black chick" vibes from the commander, which strays into racial stereotyping as well as making fun of fat people. However, I may be being overly sensitive here, as noone else seems to have made the same comment.
If Paul and Fred had insisted on avoiding racial stereotypes, we would never have had Tanaka. ;)
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 am

Dyandod wrote:If Paul and Fred had insisted on avoiding racial stereotypes, we would never have had Tanaka.
That's very true. The Yehat, as well, are to a large degree Scots-in-space. I think it's very dependent on how it's handled and requires careful judgement, but it can be done right (SC2) or very very wrong (George Lucas, I'm looking at you). I think I've sidetracked this topic too much obsessing about Moosey anyhow, so I might just leave it for now.
Cedric6014 wrote: Yep, I'll be repointing the ships, but this can only be done after all new ships are play tested and implemented. What I'm going to try and do is introuduce ships that perform well against currently undervalued ships, and perform badly agasint currently overvalued ones. E.G. We might introduce a ship that gets schooled by the mycon but dominates the Androsynth.
I really like this idea, if you can pull it off. The Podship/Avenger/Blade/Dreadnought need some love!

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Project6014 demo release - patched version

Post by Cedric6014 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:08 am

The ever-growing Project 6014 team is pleased to release an improved version of the demo.

Changes include:
  • A Linux installer!!!
  • Heaps of bug fixes
  • Heaps of inconsistency fixes
  • A few animation fixes
  • Much improved playability of Lurg Prawn and Chmmr Explorer
  • One or two other neat surprises
You can get the new stuff here:
http://code.google.com/p/project6014/wi ... =Downloads

Sing out if you have technical issues.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:56 am

The Yehat AI in the mellee doesn't know how to react to Lurg bubbles (just bubbles) and crashes.
There is no icon for *second* marauder before you select it.
AI Lurg battle behavior in a mirror is infuriating...
Running Linux build.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:21 am

So far I was checking the Lurg against eeryone, set on Awesome cyborg.
So far it crushed on Yehat, and only if I deployed the bubbles.
I haven't gone through every ship yet, but I have several times chose only AI Yehat and it crashed each and every time.

EDIT - Where did the post go?!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 am

I deleted the post after I saw your edit. I wanted to try it out with the Yehat. Sorry :)

Yeah. I'm getting the same error with the Yehat. It's not just the Linux build. When the Yehat shot at the bubbles, it crashed on me too. Thanks for the info Alvarin. :)

Stderr.txt last's few lines are:
_GetMusicData(): loading base/ships/lurg/lurgditty.ogg
decoder: Ogg Vorbis, rate 48000 format 17
'base/ships/lurg/lurgsound.snd' -- 41 bytes
_GetSoundBankData(): loading base/ships/lurg/primary.wav
_GetSoundBankData(): decoded_bytes 65536
_GetSoundBankData(): loading base/ships/lurg/secondary.wav
_GetSoundBankData(): decoded_bytes 1655
_GetSoundBankData(): loading base/ships/lurg/auxiliary.wav
_GetSoundBankData(): decoded_bytes 61440
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 am

I really like the Lurg ship, one problem is it feels somewhat too powerful. Maybe consider raising the bubbles cost and lower the crew regeneration rate. The cost of 20 is also bit too small for the performance and regeneration in current state.
In the AI department, it really needs to get little more aggressive...

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:53 am

OK, I've played the Lurg against every other ship and here are the findings - it is WAY too powerfull.
The Utwig crashes same way as Yehat does.
Mirror is too long even with the gravity slingshot
Melnorme is not that difficult, but little bit
chmmr is somewhat difficult as is Kohr-ah.
All other ships vere extremley easy to beat.
Some additional issues:
ZPF and Pkunk prioritize the bubbles for their attack over the ship itself.
Umgah - the weapons passing through the cone

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 am

Ah. The problems of balancing ships against almost 30 other ships.

The Lurg is a unique ship. It forces you to fight on its terms. For a guy like me who wants an the AI to be as aggressive as I am, that can be a little frustrating sometimes. I must respectfully disagree that it's too powerful though. Like all Star Control ships, sometimes it's just picking the right ship and using the right strategy. I see it as no more powerful than an Orz ship (23). I can take out 2-3 Lurg with the right ship. I rather suck at playing with them, but I never pretend to be a great melee player. Perhaps you're just a better pilot than I. What do you think about the other new ships?
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:41 am

The only other new ship is the *other* marauder, that I didn't find any differences playing with. I liked it bugging out when controlled by AI. Were there supposed to be another ships in super-mellee?

I can also pick an empty spot worth 30 points for the fleet, but it just returns to the main super-mellee screen when I start battle.

EDIT - one more thing. Both second Marauder and the Probe are named "Slylandro". Maybe it would be better to rename the probe to such, or to call it by catalog number.

EDIT2 - and it is annoying that every time I re-enter super-mellee it defaults to same fleet and controlling party, not like the UQM that keeps last setup.