Project6014 demo release

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

TSC
Silly Supox

Re: Project6014 demo release

Post by TSC »

There's one comment I have on the demo that I think I should mention.

The Mycon don't actually need to create shattered worlds to reproduce, they just need those to SPREAD.

I mean they can easily grow new crew even aboard their ship.

There's a difference in needing lava worlds in the way of terraforming them to their tastes, and needing them to make new Mycons. The Mycon case is the former, not the latter. They can reproduce without new shattered worlds, they just can't live on other worlds that well, so they make new ones to live on.
Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun »

Shiver wrote:Wow, I truly have not done jack for this project in a long time.
Same. Too busy with some of my research. By research, I mean playing Mass Effect and reading some more of Alastair Reynolds' work. :)
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Interesting point. I'd always assumed that there is a more pressing reason for creating shattered world, that they play an integral part in reproduction on some level, but there certainly isn't anything about that in canon. For all we know Mycon can keep going for ever without making shattered worlds.
Steve-O
Hunam adventurer

Post by Steve-O »

Lukipela wrote:Interesting point. I'd always assumed that there is a more pressing reason for creating shattered world, that they play an integral part in reproduction on some level, but there certainly isn't anything about that in canon. For all we know Mycon can keep going for ever without making shattered worlds.
Well the Mycon were created to be a sort of terraforming tool, right (based on what I read over at the Ultronomicon anyway.) It seems somewhat cruel to make a genetically engineered species that NEEDS to terraform planets in order to propagate themselves. I mean, what happens when they've terraformed all the planets you want them to? Just instruct them to go off and die somewhere?

It seems to me that their terraforming ability has become something of a religious ritual (tied in with the whole Juffo Wup thing.) A significant and important practice, but not required for the survival of the species.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Steve-O wrote:Well the Mycon were created to be a sort of terraforming tool, right (based on what I read over at the Ultronomicon anyway.) It seems somewhat cruel to make a genetically engineered species that NEEDS to terraform planets in order to propagate themselves. I mean, what happens when they've terraformed all the planets you want them to? Just instruct them to go off and die somewhere?
Well, yes. The Mycon even insinuate this in their dialog.

"When there is no more non, when all is void or Juffo-Wup, then we can rest."

Or something to that effect.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Draxas wrote:
Steve-O wrote:Well the Mycon were created to be a sort of terraforming tool, right (based on what I read over at the Ultronomicon anyway.) It seems somewhat cruel to make a genetically engineered species that NEEDS to terraform planets in order to propagate themselves. I mean, what happens when they've terraformed all the planets you want them to? Just instruct them to go off and die somewhere?
Well, yes. The Mycon even insinuate this in their dialog.

"When there is no more non, when all is void or Juffo-Wup, then we can rest."

Or something to that effect.
When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void or Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.