The Turning - New Race VIII: Hmsph

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

The Turning - New Race VIII: Hmsph

Post by kingschosen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

I'm kind of satisfied with the Wraith... not entirely, but it more or less came out the way I wanted it. I'm also going to be expanding on the Hmsph a little later.

The Hmsph started appearing throughout space around the time of the destruction of the Sa-Matra. Out of all the known sentience throughout the galaxies, the Hmsph are the least understood. They absolutely refuse to communicate with League emissaries. Their purpose is not understood; they do not show any signs of aggression, colonization, or curiosity. For all intensive purposes, they seem to simply exist.

The League, or anyone for that matter, did not even know that their starship had weapons until the Orz started to mercilessly attack them. The League has had continued disciplinary meetings with the Orz about their behavior towards this enigmatic race, but it has been useless. They Orz hate them. Because of the Hmsph’s lack of communication, the League has decided to turn a blind eye to the Orz actions, but they do not condone or aid it either. From what the League can decipher from the Orz is that the Hmsph have always been here, but they are choosing to reveal themselves at this time.

With the arrival the Keetron in the Kessari Quadrant, the number of Hmsph ships has increased exponentially, and yet, they remain diligently silent. The Keetron’s diplomatic efforts have failed as well as the Hmsphs refuse any type of interaction between races. Like the Orz, the Golkli hate the Hmsph, and they have begun attacking them ruthlessly.

The Hmsph fighter, the Wraith, is rarely seen. When the Wraith has a fully charged battery, it is automatically cloaked. Its primary weapon has been dubbed the “apparition arrow”. These can be fired rapidly, and while they can travel enormous distances and can be very, very hard to shake, their damage is weak.

One of the stranger qualities of the Wraith, is its ability to duplicate itself up to three times. The duplicate is completely immune to all damage and is a separate functioning entity. A duplicate does not come without its precariousness, though. Each time there is a duplication, the original Wraith loses half its crew and half its battery, and if the weakened original Wraith is destroyed, the duplicates dissipate without a trace.

Last edited by kingschosen on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: New Race VIII: Hmsph

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Good idea.
I'm guessing this is a *below* creature.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I hadn't planned on making them *below*.

In fact, I've pretty much scrapped my entire world I was creating because no one was really interested.

Have you seen the other races I created?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:07 pm

What+ We commented and gave constructive critique. Maybe if you hadn't dropped your story after the first chapter :P-smf

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:36 pm

kingschosen wrote:I hadn't planned on making them *below*.

In fact, I've pretty much scrapped my entire world I was creating because no one was really interested.

yeh, I've read all of them, and I was very interested to find out about who the Keetron were and why certain races joined the turning.
So have you given up completely on the original story? I would be sad. It was getting very interesting.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 am

Lukipela wrote:What+ We commented and gave constructive critique. Maybe if you hadn't dropped your story after the first chapter :P-smf
Oh I'm not talking about that the criticism... I'm just talking a general lack of interest overall.
chenjesuwizard wrote:
kingschosen wrote:I hadn't planned on making them *below*.

yeh, I've read all of them, and I was very interested to find out about who the Keetron were and why certain races joined the turning.
So have you given up completely on the original story? I would be sad. It was getting very interesting.
Well, I guess I should finish the last two races just for completion purposes. Who knows... there may be a waxing interest.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 pm

kingschosen wrote:Oh I'm not talking about that the criticism... I'm just talking a general lack of interest overall.
What kind of interest were you expecting? TFB showing up and proclaiming that they wanted your material? building a world and interest around it takes time dude.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:28 pm

He quit when someone signed up on the board for the sole purpose of bashing his efforts in every thread they appeared in. That would demoralize me, too, so I don't blame him for his skepticism.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:45 am

Wow... That's horrible... I can't believe anyone would do that..

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Turning - New Race VIII: Hmsph

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Very interesting concept, one of the better races in this whole story. The Wraith sounds very interesting, although the duplicate idea might not be easy to implement, as it either needs a downright miraculous control scheme or an AI or some sort. The duplicates should probably be easily identifiable as such, simply to avoid the real ship from releasing all three and hoping the enemy will waste all its battery shooting the invincible duplicates.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod